News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Will a Chrysler 300 tranny work?

Started by grdprx, July 29, 2008, 10:11:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grdprx

I tried searching, but couldn't come up with this specific info.

I'm looking for a BB 727, came across one a few hours away.  He said it's out of a 67 Chrysler 300.  Says it's a Big Block 727.  I'm assuming that will match up with my 440?

I'm planting the combo in a 68 Charger.

Thanks for ya'll help!

RallyeMike

1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

Musicman

grdprx

Bobs69

My engine and matching tranny came from a 68 newport (think that's the huge one right?).  Now here is what is still screwing with me and almost had me buying brand X and giving up!  It ran great, we re-ringed the engine and completely redone the heads years ago I was 20 or so and worked on a limited budget.  The old tires couldn't keep up with the motor.

My wife gave me a purpleshaft cam one christmas, a mild one, 484 lift 274 duration or something like that.  Anyhow I'll try and shorten this up.  That hurt the car, till finally years later when the tranny was taken out again it was found that the torque converter was way too big (like 12 inch I think) so the stall speed was low and the governor was set for the lady like shifts in the chrysler.  So a new torque converter fixed one thing.

Shifting points suck, and the governor gets machined a little at a time so "he doesn't go too far with it" I don't know what "it" is.  And of course this cost money everytime, I think he's trying to re-coupe the cost of having to redo this tranny for a guy that works for him who did it on the side for me!

So keep that in mind, torque converter size and the governor.  I'm guessing that's why guys have always said it's good to have a matching engine and tranny.

*** Also here is a question I posted elsewhere but haven't got an answer yet.  I wanted to switch to a stage 3 manual valve body to end this tedious work of freggin with line preassure rods and told that it wouldn't be a good idea for the street and would ruin the tranny in a hurry.  What do you guys say to this?

chargerman68

i have 2 big block trans and a 440 shortblock and i a carb to pan complete 440
1968 CHARGER R/T CLONELOOKING FOR ANOTHER PROJECT 69-70 CHARGER SHELL

craigandlynda

look at the case and make sure it is stamped 727B, not 727A, which fits small blocks...a 727B from a 300 is a perfect match for a 440 daily driver.... 

grdprx

Thanks again everyone!

I got it, looks exactally like my seized tranny.  This one moves, still has fluid in it, the shifter levers move.  I'm stoked.

Now i need the engine shop to kick it in gear and another $ grand in stuff.   ;D