News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Anyone have this problem installing MP Frame Connectors-with Photo????

Started by Mfr426, August 04, 2008, 03:33:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mfr426

Hey all, I mock installed my MP frame connectors on my 69 Charger. It seems like the outside front mount bolt will run VERY close to the frame on the other side where the frame goes forward. I stole this shot that someone else had posted to point out where I mean. I think once I drill the hole I will be unable to get the metal piece and the nut on the end that faces the front of the car. It's close on both the driver and passenger side connector.

In this pick it looks close but appears to fit. I don't want to force the connector over to make more room as I don't want to put a twist or tension on the connectors.  Anybody run into this fit issue? Perhaps I'm wrong and the bolt and nut/metal flange will clear but it looks too close.

Thanks for any help.

tan top

Quote from: Mfr426 on August 04, 2008, 03:33:29 PM
Hey all, I mock installed my MP frame connectors on my 69 Charger. It seems like the outside front mount bolt will run VERY close to the frame on the other side where the frame goes forward. I stole this shot that someone else had posted to point out where I mean. I think once I drill the hole I will be unable to get the metal piece and the nut on the end that faces the front of the car. It's close on both the driver and passenger side connector.

In this pick it looks close but appears to fit. I don't want to force the connector over to make more room as I don't want to put a twist or tension on the connectors.  Anybody run into this fit issue? Perhaps I'm wrong and the bolt and nut/metal flange will clear but it looks too close.

Thanks for any help.

hmmmm i must  have missed my  :shortbus:   
    sorry dude i can't see whats wrong ............. :shruggy:.... :smilie_help: 
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Mfr426

Perhaps I'm the one on the short bus...

The nut end of the bolt (far right arrow) looks like it is going to rub the frame that heads towards the front of the car???

Does this make sense? Have I had too much to drink (again)?

:D

The70RT

Since that is my car I can say they fit ok.........so  :scratchchin: It isn't like there coming back off. You can also just weld them on.
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Mfr426

Nice shot btw, thanks for not asking for royalties.  :lol:

Did you put them on yourself or did a shop put them on? I am just wondering if I'll be able to get that bolt through the hole on the front side. Add to that the steel plate that has to go on too and it looks really tight in the mock up.

I'm not overly excited about the weld option. Certainly it would be easier but I think taking the frame connectors off (if needed) would be far simpler with the bolts.

The70RT

I installed them. I don't remember any issues. You can put the nuts on the other side if you can't get the bolt in. I heard if you just bolt them on they don't do a whole lot for ya. You shouldn't have to ever remove them for any thing I could think of  :shruggy:

Mfr426

I have this wierd voice in the back of my head telling me to scrap all the undercoating from the bottom of my car and repaint the whole bottom. If I weld these things on I'll have to cut them back off.

tan top

arrrr i see now what you was thinking of , the bolt being close to the frame rail :yesnod:  ...   really the frame connectors should be welded in  :yesnod:  to get the full effect of having them fitted .
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

The70RT

Quote from: Mfr426 on August 05, 2008, 05:19:50 AM
I have this wierd voice in the back of my head telling me to scrap all the undercoating from the bottom of my car and repaint the whole bottom. If I weld these things on I'll have to cut them back off.

Mine was pretty solid but I took off the undercoating anyway. It was soaked with fluid near the front. I figured it won't see any salt and just maybe some rain once in a while. By the way a putty knife and a propane torch does the trick. You can also use a wire brush in the corners after you heat it up.

Mfr426

Hmmmmmmmmmmm...propane torch and a putty knife? Sounds like a good weekend job soon. Thanks for the advice.

firefighter3931

Mike, just weld them in and forget about it. Once they're on you won't want to take them back off....the car will drive soooo much nicer. I've used a frame connectors in all my Chargers. With the extra Torque of that big stroker these are a "must have" item. The last thing you need is ripped sheetmetal, cracking paint and sagging doors.  :P

Here's a few pics of mine...welded in of course  ;)

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Charger74

Quote from: terrible one on August 06, 2008, 12:40:27 PM
Do the MP connectors mess with the routing of brake or fuel lines?

Since they don't hug the floor for the most part, no.  They shouldn't mess with the routing.  But Firefighter will know better.

Mfr426

There you go making sense again Ron...  :rotz:

When I mocked up the connector it DID rub on the emergency brake cable. It was right in line with it and the cable had to go over the top of th  connector. I'm not real happy about that either but don't know if that will be an issue long-term. I just thought it was a bit cheesy.

At the same time I'm not real excited about drilling the holes period. The welding would be a good option but I'm not committed either way now. If I could just find a full sized lift so I could stand under the car the welding would be more attractive?

The70RT

Quote from: Mfr426 on August 06, 2008, 01:47:07 PM

When I mocked up the connector it DID rub on the emergency brake cable. It was right in line with it and the cable had to go over the top of th  connector. I'm not real happy about that either but don't know if that will be an issue long-term. I just thought it was a bit cheesy.

At the same time I'm not real excited about drilling the holes period. The welding would be a good option but I'm not committed either way now. If I could just find a full sized lift so I could stand under the car the welding would be more attractive?

I seen on here somewhere someone drilled through the connector and ran the e-brake cable through it. To make it better a small pipe is welded in the hole making it look clean. I just got my lines today so I will find out pretty soon. If you don't use a lift or a rotissorie you will have fun dodging sparks if welding.

Mfr426

I'm not looking forward to getting slag in my ears like the last time I was on my back welding.  :rofl:

firefighter3931

Quote from: Mfr426 on August 06, 2008, 01:47:07 PM

Mike, the e-brake cable will sit on top of the SF connector....no big deal, really. Small price to pay for a huge increase in structural integrity to a unibody car, inmho.

I'm not a fan of drilling holes either....eventually they will wollow out and enlarge making the connector loose and thereby negating their function. Another problem is the subframe itself which can be crushed because of the "empty" space between the front and back sections. To properly install a bolt on connector you would need to weld in some tubes to prevent "crush" of the subframe (as the bolts were being tightened)....but it still wouldn't be as strong as a welded in piece.  :yesnod:

We had this discussion when HemiDoug was upgrading his car for Pinks and he went the welded in route and is very happy. As i said to Doug, if you want to remove them just cut them off, grind down the welds and shoot some paint and you'll never know they were there.  ;) Honestly though....how many people crawl around underneath cars looking for SF connectors. And if they see them...so freakin what ! It's your car and you want to keep it tight, driving nice and looking good.  :icon_smile_cool:

Weld them in and don't second guess yourself.  :slap: :lol: :cheers:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

472 R/T SE

Quote from: y3chargerrt on August 07, 2008, 07:01:17 AM
If I was going to install sub frame connectors I would run these.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MOPAR-Weld-in-Frame-Rail-Connector-B-Body-Charger-66-70_W0QQitemZ300246711209QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item300246711209&_trkparms=39%3A1%7C65%3A1&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245.l1318

Those are nice but I didn't want to pull my seats & carpet out and had already bought the MP ones.

I had lots of folks telling me I'd regret SF connectors, saying it'd ride like a grain truck.  I don't know what all the fuss was.  I can pull in my driveway at an angle due to the slope and the car doesn't pop & crack like it use to.

I, too, wanted to just bolt them in but took Ron's word on how easy it would be to clean the welds up if ever taken off.  Now I just need to bolt up the slicks and hit the track.

Mfr426

This will be another benefit "I can pull in my driveway at an angle due to the slope and the car doesn't pop & crack like it use to."

I too dont want to pull my carpet and have to repaint my already repainted floor boards so the MP ones make sense for me. I'll be welding them in this Sat.