News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Timing high rpm engines

Started by astat1, August 03, 2008, 04:53:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

astat1

I have an all stock 440 with a 4.10 rear end. My criusing rpms at 45mph is about 3600 rpms. Should I set my "all in" timing to come in later than 2500 since at 2500 rpm's I am still pullling out of the drive way? I don't race it but want to get the best overall performance and don't want to harm the motor? Does it make a difference at what rpms my all in timing should be set at? Thanks

suntech

QuoteMy criusing rpms at 45mph is about 3600 rpms
Does not sound right at all!!!  It should be somwhere in the ballpark of 2400 rpm at 45 mph, assuming 4,10, and a 727  :shruggy:
Could it be that your tacho is off?? A buddy of mine has that problem on a 68. It shows a lot more than actual rpm.
Just a thought, to make sure you work with the right parameters :shruggy:
Since we only live once, and all this is not just a dressed rehearsal, but the real thing............ Well, enjoy it!!!!

firefighter3931

Your timing is fine....all in by 2500-3000 is where it should be. Your speedo needs to be recalibrated for sure....or your tach is reading high.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

acelondon

My Tach has a 4-6-8 switch on the back. Sounds like yours is on 4 or 6. Pop it over to 8 and that should fix that problem.