News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

another header vs manifold question??? I've already searched!

Started by 69maritime, July 30, 2008, 08:59:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

69maritime

This isn't a technical question, more opinion based I guess.  My 440 came with headers and I loved how it sounded.  Well from what I've read, I've just about made up my mind that stock manifolds will replace those headers.  I understand that the stock manifolds will make the sound quieter, but how much quieter?  Am I going to lose a lot of that deep rumble sound?  Because I like that sound!!!! :drool5:

Any opinions, questions or stories welcome.

69chargeryeehaa

I've had both.  On my old charger, i had headers, and they sounded great, with my new r/t i used stock hp manifolds.  The manifolds do make the engine quieter, you open the hood and it's almost silent running, but you go out back and that deep rumble is all there.  The sound headers make is not the deep sound, they just make a tinny/raspy sound, and muffler choice is what makes you get the deep sound.  But come time to install them, and the manifolds go in so easy, less under hood heat, and better bottom end response, don't oversize your exhaust, unless your motor needs it.  The manifolds were so easy to put on compared to headers, i did it TWICE just because it didn't feel right.  Never again will i use headers....but that's my  :Twocents:  :yesnod: :cheers:

firefighter3931

It will be a little quieter under the hood but the rumble out back shouldn't change too much. It depends on which headers are on the car now...heavy wall tube headers don't make that much noise under the hood vs. Manifolds. The cheaper 18 guage headers make more noise for sure....so it dependsĀ  ;)

There will be some performance loss but if the engine build is mild it won't be too noticable.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

69maritime

Wow! This board is great.  I know it wasn't a difficult question, but only one hour after posting (mid-morning on a wednesday) I have 2 replies.  On top of that it sounds like the answer I wanted to hear.  Thank you guys very much.

Cory

Mike DC

Yeah, there's a world of difference between good & bad headers.  A thick-walled, well made, ceramic-coated set of headers is nothing like a $149 cheapo set. 

The factories are putting stainless steel tubular headers on more and more cars/trucks these days.  That should tell you something about how practical a set of headers can theoretically be if they're built right.

I would get a small/short set of headers.  Maybe a tri-Y or something.  I've never understood why these things aren't more popular.  For some reason a lot of guys are more willing to choke off 30 hp with iron manifolds than choke off 15 hp with undersized headers. 

r73mopar

while we are this subjet, i have a 73 with a 440 any recomendation on a set of headers that might accualy fit right?! not having to beat them with a hammer to make them fit around the steering box!!!  :brickwall:
thanks guys

71charger_fan

Schumacher headers are great for big block cars. They're expensive, but the cost is comparable to TTIs. The ceramic-coated ones in my car were almost $800, but it should be the last dime I ever spend on exhaust headers.