News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Charger is Running again...

Started by BlueSS454, August 01, 2008, 11:42:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlueSS454

It's been a little while since I posted anything, mainly because I've been trying to get the car back together.  In mid June, the 440 I had in the cCharger blew a head gasket.  When I tore it apart, I found 5 wiped out cam loboes.  I pulled the engine out and the whole thing was trashed, pretty much unuseable from my standpoint.  The crank had already been cut .010/.010, the block had been bored +.050 and had +.030 pistons in it....no wonder it had a ton of blowby  :brickwall:  :RantExplode:  After that, I kinda got a bit discouraged with it, put all the parts in the trunk, and put the cover on and let it sit for a couple weeks.
After about 2 weeks, I got kinda tired of seeing it sit there not running so I began looking for any running big block to stick in there for the time being.  I found one a week ago, and bought it.  I spent last week cleaning it up, resealing it, painting it so it looks all pretty.  I dropped it in the car Tuesday night and had it running last night.  It runs like a top now.  The engine I picked up is a 1974 casted 440 from a motorhome that had about 70,000 miles on it.  This engine was clean inside, oil and antifreeze was clean too.  I finished everything up tonight and took it out for a ride.  It runs awesome now compared to the other engine that was in it.  It starts up in like 5 seconds even when it's cold.  It just goes to prove my thoughts a little more that stock is the way to go.  This engine is bone stock except for the intake/carb I used on it and it runs flawless.  It's back on the road again  :yesnod:
Tom Rightler

CB

that's good news! I hope you can enjoy your ride now :2thumbs:
CB
1968 Dodge Coronet 500

1969chargerrtse

I restored mine stock also and have no regrets.  I love both those cars.  I had a 70 LS6 way back when one could afford one.  Both your cars look great.  Nice to see the Charger is cruising the streets again.  Great job. :2thumbs:
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

KMPX2

Was the other engine the numbers matching block or just some BB

firefighter3931

68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

BlueSS454

Quote from: KMPX2 on August 02, 2008, 08:28:41 AM
Was the other engine the numbers matching block or just some BB

Just some random 440 that someone did a really BAD rebuild to and stuck in the car.

I put about 50 miles on it today and it runs so much better than it did before.  I got the timing and carb set just where they need to be.  It does some wicked burnouts for having a stock 440 out of a motorhome in the engine bay now  :2thumbs:  I think it might have a rearend issue though.  I'll look into that later.
Tom Rightler