News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Vibrations

Started by Belgium R/T -68, August 02, 2008, 06:30:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Belgium R/T -68

It's in the auto section, name of the video is GTX oilleak, my username is Moparsweed.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGokSY4K_NY
Charger -68 R/T 500 cui Stroker

BigBlockSam

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

FLG

Good luck finind the leak...

You are a pretty quiet guy because i would have been cursing up a storm  :yesnod:

Belgium R/T -68

Quote from: FLG on November 17, 2008, 06:24:14 PM
Good luck finind the leak...

You are a pretty quiet guy because i would have been cursing up a storm  :yesnod:
That camera got a flight into the wall, no moore videos from that one.

aifilaw

It is difficult to troubleshoot a problem based on such a short description, but believe me I understand the frustration you feel, here's an example story.

I was 19 years old, working my way through college, driving my charger as a daily, I had been a dumbass and was driving under the influence, racing a 300zx of my friends. Took a road a little fast and went over some railroad tracks at over 100. Normally this would have been no big deal, but you see in my town railroad tracks, and roads in general are complete garbage, this little bit of a bump that I normally felt at the speed limit (40) launched the charger in the air, and since they crossed at a diagonal it tilted hard too, all 4 wheels off the ground by at least half a foot and I was airborne. came down hard about 1 car length in the right lane ahead of my friend, regained control in my lane and swore I was the luckiest SOB alive.

Next morning a nice big oil-puddle, I had torn a big hole in my pan. Got a new oilpan, a new paper gasket from the parts store, jacked it up in the dorms parking lot, pulled the steering rod aside off of one cotter pin and swapped it out. Took me about 2 hours and barely room to move with a crappy jack.

First thing, what do you do, take it out for a test drive... made it about 5 miles, feeling good, notice smoke... pull over, look underneath, there's oil dripping out of the sides of the pan, not fast... but dripping.... @#%@#$... headers are 1" from the gasket... the heat of course.

Next day, Sunday, go to the parts store, get a new gasket, get some high temp silicone, slap it on there on both sides of the gasket, want a good seal, I don't want to pop that pan again, get the job done in an hour and a half. I wait till the afternoon, about 6 o'clock probably, figure its set up... take it for a spin.. make it 2 miles ,pull over to check... leaking like a sieve...!@#%!@#$  imagine that, pull it off again, its dark now, hard to do any work... to hell with the paper gasket, I'll use silicone... finish up around 9 or 10.... I'll let it set overnight, should be fine.

Next morning, 6am, just light outside, gotta go to work, make it there, too busy to check. get off work, check underneath, a little oil, but no dripping, diptube shows plenty of oil... maybe it was just mess left on there... drive halfway home.... check while engine running... dripping like a sieve... !@#%!@#$

next weekend finally get a chance at it again, pull the pan, clean the mating surfaces, apply silicone liberally, let sit 2 days... take for a drive... no oil spilling, really get it hot, race it around, check again, not a drop.

I learned two very good lessons that week.

1. patience and time can fix your perspective
2. let silicone set for 24 hours before you even consider applying heat/motion.

More than probable this isn't your issue... but maybe it helps in future.
'72 B5 Metallic Blue Hardtop
426" Wedge - Hydraulic Roller Stealth heads

firefighter3931

Per, have you isolated the leak yet ?  :scope:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Belgium R/T -68

Quote from: firefighter3931 on November 18, 2008, 10:33:17 AM
Per, have you isolated the leak yet ?  :scope:

Ron

I have felt that the oilfilter was "loose", propably from the problems I had getting the engine in it got some beetings and I didn"t check it. :brickwall:
That also match with the spray you see in the videoclip, if it was the pump it wouldn't spray upwards like that.
Now the floor has to dry out first before I can do a real check. Lucky my wife has horses so I can use the stuff she puts in the stables, the stuff
you get over after sawing your wood. :2thumbs:
Hope just the bearings made it. :scratchchin:

Why did it made the first 20 minutes? :scratchchin:

Steve P.

I can't see in the video if you have power steering or not. If so I would give the pump and lines a good look.

I have a buddy that changed 3 valve cover gaskets on an old Mercury once before calling me. Even after 2 he was sure the cover gasket was still leaking. I spent about 10 seconds looking at it and told him to start it and turn the wheel hard to the left. There it was.. The hose was leaking, but only when put under very high pressure. His wife drove this boat to work and every time into and out of a parking space she would crank the steering wheel hard... New hose and no leaks...

A good trick for being able to continue work in a oily area is to first hit it with some floor dry or in your case saw dust. Then lay out some large cardboard. Clean up the residue from the oil on the motor and have someone else fire it up and be ready to shut it down quickly. The cardboard will also help detect where any other drips may be.  I like to lay out a large fresh sheet of cardboard before firing a new motor anyway. You can quickly detect any leak and it surely helps contain it.

:Twocents:    :cheers:
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

firefighter3931

Quote from: Belgium R/T -68 on November 18, 2008, 12:36:28 PM
I have felt that the oilfilter was "loose", propably from the problems I had getting the engine in it got some beetings and I didn"t check it. :brickwall:
That also match with the spray you see in the videoclip, if it was the pump it wouldn't spray upwards like that.

I was thinking ruptured or loose oil filter while looking at the video. If you're down only a couple of litres i can't see that wiping out the bearings.

Drop a new filter and fresh oil in the engine after you clean up the spill and see what happens. Are you using an EOS type additive in the oil ?

Ron

Ps. Steve makes some good observations about PS hoses. Check the pump and box as well....
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Belgium R/T -68

Thanks for the advice Steve :2thumbs:

Ron,
I use the one Mancini delivers. The oil I use is the one they recomend and sell at the only speedshop here in Belgium, Kendall racing Oil.
There engineguy went to "school" at indy and they state you don't need anything else, not even break it in, just drive. Should be the way they do it at indy. Rather expesive though  :-\

firefighter3931

Quote from: Belgium R/T -68 on November 18, 2008, 03:43:43 PM

Ron,
I use the one Mancini delivers. The oil I use is the one they recomend and sell at the only speedshop here in Belgium, Kendall racing Oil.
There engineguy went to "school" at indy and they state you don't need anything else, not even break it in, just drive. Should be the way they do it at indy. Rather expesive though  :-\

Kendall is good oil....but i would still run an extreme pressure additive to be safe. Comp Cams "breakin" lube, EOS or ZZDP+ are all good choices.  :yesnod:

Ron

Belgium R/T -68

There is a natural cause for everything. ;) No wonder my garage looks like it does. :icon_smile_big:

Steve P.

HOLY CRAP!!!!!   That's either a bad filter or you are making 10,000 PSI oil pressure... :eek2:
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

firefighter3931

See.... it was something simple afterall.  :yesnod:

Rule #1 ; never panic because there's allways a logical explanation.  ;)

Per, that filter looks small....do you have access to WIX brand filters over there ?  :scratchchin:

Ron

Charger-Bodie

That filter looks like it bumped something when the engine went in.....IE k-frame or radiator supt.  :scratchchin:
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Belgium R/T -68

Quote from: 1hot68 on November 19, 2008, 12:42:06 PM
That filter looks like it bumped something when the engine went in.....IE k-frame or radiator supt.  :scratchchin:

Propably the K-frame, took me 3 hours to get TSOAB????? in the car. :eek2:

Belgium R/T -68

Quote from: firefighter3931 on November 19, 2008, 12:18:57 PM
See.... it was something simple afterall.  :yesnod:

Rule #1 ; never panic because there's allways a logical explanation.  ;)

Per, that filter looks small....do you have access to WIX brand filters over there ?  :scratchchin:

Ron

The same thing came to my mind, these came with an order I did some time ago. Yes, they have WIX at the speedshop.
Have to go there anyway for oil saturday so I will pick up a couple. :2thumbs:

Steve P.

I had not thought about the filter hitting on it's way in as I don't install engines with it screwed on.. That would just be one more thing in the way and sticking out to hurt paint. But yes, that makes goo sense as he did run the motor for break in without a leak.

Much better that it happened in the garage than doing 60 down the road...  :2thumbs:
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

Belgium R/T -68

New WIX filter installed and same thing :brickwall: This time it's not spraying but poring good, do I brake them with my hands? :shruggy:
Time to pull the oilpump I guess but what can be wrong there? It's a new one although I know the gasket had some problems from the shipping. :scratchchin:

aifilaw

Find where its pouring from, if the filter looked like that, it is possible you have cracked/broken the external oil pump or filter connection. It would make sense that it would "pour" or "spray" violently from those area's, and its pretty easy to pull it out and check.
'72 B5 Metallic Blue Hardtop
426" Wedge - Hydraulic Roller Stealth heads

Steve P.

Did it blow the new oil filter apart in the same manor? If yes, holy crap are you making oil pressure.. I would think your dump valve is not dumping.. STILL, I wouldn't think the pump should make enough pressure to blow up a filter. I question all this because you have already run it long enough to break in the cam. How much pressure was showing during break in?  And considering you didn't lock up the motor during break in you must be moving oil throughout the motor.
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

Belgium R/T -68

Oilpressure during breakin was 80 PSI, new oilfilter didn't go apart like the first one. :shruggy:

Steve P.

So where are the pics of FILTER #2??

Your oil pressure gauge doesn't top out at 80 PSI does it??   :scratchchin:
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

Belgium R/T -68

Quote from: Steve P. on November 24, 2008, 02:26:04 AM
So where are the pics of FILTER #2??

Your oil pressure gauge doesn't top out at 80 PSI does it??   :scratchchin:

Steve, the oilfilter shows no damages and the gauge tops at 100. Could it be the pump to block papergasket having a damage causing internal leak that
raises the pressure? :scratchchin:

firefighter3931

Per, you mentioned the oilpump gasket was damaged. I would start by replacing it first and see what happens.  :Twocents:

To reduce oil pressure, you can trim down the relief spring in the oil pump. I would wait until you get it running leak-free and check the pressure at "hot idle & cruise" before doing any surgery to the pump relief spring.  ;)

Ron