News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Vibrations

Started by Belgium R/T -68, August 02, 2008, 06:30:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

firefighter3931

Quote from: Belgium R/T -68 on October 31, 2008, 10:27:28 AM
60$ at Summit became 110$ when post and government got theres.  :'(

Ouch !  :icon_smile_blackeye:

You guys in Europe are at a real disadvantage when purchasing parts in North America.  :P

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Belgium R/T -68

First round of paint is on, engine turns fine and after second spraying I will put on a timingtape on the balancer.

Tomorrow I will install temp and oilpreassure gauge in the car, I don't trust only lamps.  ;)
Charger -68 R/T 500 cui Stroker

firefighter3931

Looking good Per !  :2thumbs:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Belgium R/T -68

Everything is ready, just to drop it in  :icon_smile_big: Timintape and oilpreassuregauge is installed, now I just need to find a helping hand for the drop.

I've never been so nervous before a startup, now it's the moment to learn if the machineshop has the real competence. If the pistonclearence
is OK then I know I can trust them for the stroker aswell. ;)

BigBlockSam

wow! that was a quick turn around time on the rebuild. good luck with the start up  :cheers:
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

Belgium R/T -68

Quote from: BigBlockSam on November 05, 2008, 01:13:02 PM
wow! that was a quick turn around time on the rebuild. good luck with the start up  :cheers:

Thanks, I still get diareé when I think about starting it up though.  :rofl:

Noticed while putting the other converter ready that it had 7/16" bolts instead of the original ones beeing 5/16", special made?

six-tee-nine

Quote from: firefighter3931 on November 01, 2008, 07:58:43 AM
Quote from: Belgium R/T -68 on October 31, 2008, 10:27:28 AM
60$ at Summit became 110$ when post and government got theres.  :'(

Ouch !  :icon_smile_blackeye:

You guys in Europe are at a real disadvantage when purchasing parts in North America.  :P

Yeah tell us about it....

But luckily we have a helping hand on your side and some extra tricks to make it a bit cheaper from time to time. But when you need a part fast an you can't get over here, then you have to double the US price......

But hey, everything for the hobby.....right?

Ron
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

Belgium R/T -68

Don't try this at home alone  :brickwall: I let the tranny in the car and try to get the engine back in alone wasn't easy. Had to remove
the enginemounts to get it down properly. Next time the transmission also goes out.

Belgium R/T -68

Underside of the car is done, had big problems getting the exhaustpipe to manifold right on the driverside, my hands are to big.

Learned today how to put something on youtube so startup will be "live".  :icon_smile_big:

BigBlockSam

QuoteLearned today how to put something on youtube so startup will be "live".  icon_smile_big

:2thumbs:  i dig watching new motors come to life " IT'S ALIVE"
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

firefighter3931

Cool stuff Per....it sounds like you are getting very close.  :2thumbs:

Ron

Belgium R/T -68

Help, when I turn the engine manually it's fine but when I crank with the starter/key I have a metallic squesse/noice.
I don't dare to try starting it, I've turnded it 50 times without problems with the wrench.  :'(

Could it be that I took the converter from the charger and they have other wearpattern?

firefighter3931

Quote from: Belgium R/T -68 on November 11, 2008, 07:24:51 AM
Help, when I turn the engine manually it's fine but when I crank with the starter/key I have a metallic squesse/noice.
I don't dare to try starting it, I've turnded it 50 times without problems with the wrench.  :'(

Could it be that I took the converter from the charger and they have other wearpattern?

It sounds like the problem is with the starter or converter or flexplate. It's hard to diagnose noise over the web.  :P

Make sure your flexplate bolts are tight. Did you install the transmission inspection cover ? Sometimes with an aftermarket converter with a smaller bolt pattern, the converter bolts will rub on the inspection cover. If the cover is on there try removing it and see what happens.

Ron

aifilaw

:iagree:

From the description the first thing I would check is your flywheel cover, followed by the starter, followed by the flexplate bolts, followed by having someone stick their ear and find out where the noise is coming from.

I remember on my flywheel cover it looked fine, but when I removed the cover the noise went away, turns out it was slightly bent and contacted with the flexplate/converter bolts.
'72 B5 Metallic Blue Hardtop
426" Wedge - Hydraulic Roller Stealth heads

Belgium R/T -68

The cover makes a lot of sense guys because the chargerconverter has the 7/16" bolts and the other converter on the car had 5/16" bolts.
Have to leave though for a week to Sweden for my work so I will check next week. :cheers:

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: Belgium R/T -68 on November 12, 2008, 01:38:59 AM
The cover makes a lot of sense guys because the chargerconverter has the 7/16" bolts and the other converter on the car had 5/16" bolts.
Have to leave though for a week to Sweden for my work so I will check next week. :cheers:

Did you use actual converter bolts (really thin head) or just some 7/16 bolts like from a hardware store?

are the bolt too long possibly? and not all the way tight, but instead bottomed out?
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Belgium R/T -68

Quote from: 1hot68 on November 12, 2008, 07:27:22 AM
Quote from: Belgium R/T -68 on November 12, 2008, 01:38:59 AM

Did you use actual converter bolts (really thin head) or just some 7/16 bolts like from a hardware store?

are the bolt too long possibly? and not all the way tight, but instead bottomed out?

They are real converterbolts, they sat on the charger before. Thin head and a cross on it. As I mentioned
turning the engine by hand gives no noice.
Now I am on the boat between Germany and Sweden so I will check next week. :2thumbs:

Steve P.

It sounds more like the starter is slightly cocked.   :shruggy:

You say it turns fine by hand without any scraping noise so that leaves the starter.

Are you using a mini starter?  If so did it fit in without hitting anywhere? Sometimes you have to remove the plastic stud mount and sometimes even shave the side of the block a bit to clearance the power stud. If the stud cover is being used it may be against the block pushing the starter a bit cock eyed.

:Twocents:
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

Belgium R/T -68

Steve, I use the original starter from the GTX. One option is to try the chargerstarter.

firefighter3931

It's certainly possible that the starter drive is not disengaging properly  :scratchchin:

Ron

Belgium R/T -68

Not that difficult to see the reason for the noice.  :icon_smile_big: Now I'm ready for start-up.

FLG

Ah, well thats one easy fix  :cheers:

Good Luck!

Steve P.

Don't forget the YOU-TUBE video......

:cheers:
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

Belgium R/T -68

:'(  :'(  :'( The first startup went good, 20 minutes of good oilpressure and 180° temp. After a couple of hours it was time to start again and you can see the result at youtube: GTX oilleak by Moparsweed, sorry I don't know how to link it. Watch the oil spraying after a few seconds and
hopefully it's the wet belts making the noice instead of my bearings. Is it the oilpump shooting the gasket? I don't have the energy to look.
Nothing but bad luck with my cars.  :'(

About 2 liters of oil out in 5 seconds. The floor looks nice.

Steve P.

I hunted for it buddy and didn't find it.. Just copy it from the LOCATION line and paste it on here. Even if it doesn't highlight it we can still find it..   ;)
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida