News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Vibrations

Started by Belgium R/T -68, August 02, 2008, 06:30:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

firefighter3931

Quote from: Belgium R/T -68 on October 04, 2008, 02:49:39 PM
Ron,
Any special instructions for my machinist concerning honing for my Sealed Power plasma-moly rings?  :scratchchin:

//Per

Just a nice 60* cross hatch will be fine. Of course the piston to wall clearance is important as well.  ;)

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Challenger340

From the pictures, it would appear that whoever was balancing this Crank, was "fighting it" desperately, very disappointing.

I must have missed it,
But,
I assume YOU ARE getting it rebalanced this time ?

Quote from: firefighter3931 on October 05, 2008, 06:50:55 AM
Quote from: Belgium R/T -68 on October 04, 2008, 02:49:39 PM
Ron,
Any special instructions for my machinist concerning honing for my Sealed Power plasma-moly rings?  :scratchchin:

//Per

Just a nice 60* cross hatch will be fine. Of course the piston to wall clearance is important as well. ;)

Ron

Just another reminder here.
Make sure the machinist READS and UNDERSTANDS, all the KB Piston instructions, paying special attention to Wall Clearances and Ring End Gaps.
Also, check KB's Pin Fitting of the 1.094" Pins in the Pistons.
Steet deal, make sure .0008"- .0010". (8 to 10, ten thousandths of an inch.)

:Twocents:
Bob out.

Only wimps wear Bowties !

Belgium R/T -68

Bob,
Pins were included with every piston, necessary to check anyway?
Charger -68 R/T 500 cui Stroker

aifilaw

Always double check everything, OEM's make mistakes too, flaws in personnel, assemblers, and even wear and tear on dies and tooling will cause inconsistencies, especially when it comes down to the difference of a couple of mils. It only takes an extra couple seconds to measure something, it takes weeks to diagnose a problem and thousands of dollars later to repair the damage one failing part in an engine will cause.
'72 B5 Metallic Blue Hardtop
426" Wedge - Hydraulic Roller Stealth heads

Belgium R/T -68

Went today to the machineshop with the block and KB pistons, hopefully he can do something with it. Here is some pics of the chargerblock he did end last year.

firefighter3931

Now that looks like a nice job....much better than the GTX block which has no signs of crosshatch after only 500 miles.  :P

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Belgium R/T -68

Good news for the weekend  :icon_smile_big: Machineshop just called and told me that they could save the block.  :2thumbs:
They have fitted in the KB pistons so compression will rise a little bit and together with the K56 I would feel the difference. I will even
swap the converter to a 2500, always considered GTX as a musclecar.  ;)

Question, the lifters I used for the compcam only has about 1 hour run, are they still scrap or could they be used with the K56?

firefighter3931

Quote from: Belgium R/T -68 on October 17, 2008, 08:18:00 AM
Good news for the weekend  :icon_smile_big: Machineshop just called and told me that they could save the block.  :2thumbs:
They have fitted in the KB pistons so compression will rise a little bit and together with the K56 I would feel the difference. I will even
swap the converter to a 2500, always considered GTX as a musclecar.  ;)

Question, the lifters I used for the compcam only has about 1 hour run, are they still scrap or could they be used with the K56?

Some good news finally !  :2thumbs: Fortunately the original build with undersized bores will work fine with the KB's which require tighter piston to wall clearances....you caught a good break there !  :icon_smile_cool:

The lifters aren't scrap....just label them upon removal and keep them with the cam. They can be re-used as long as the lifters are re-used on the same lobe they were matched and broken in on.  :yesnod:

You will need new lifters with the K56 cam.  ;)

Ron

Belgium R/T -68

Went after the block today and it looks good  :icon_smile_big: He said the block was very dirty inside, they even had to do some
grinding at the end of the bore. ( the piston in there is only for reference, assembly will be for this weekend)

BTW, the other pictures doesn't show anymoore  :scratchchin:

Belgium R/T -68

The Eagle rods I plan to use don't have the V-grooves for the lubrification, does that matter? They also have stamped numbers on the side,
not 1-8 but other figures like 2008, 1968, 2021, S6 etc, what could they mean?
Are the "grooves" for the bearings to be turned outside at assembly?

firefighter3931

The Chamfered side of the bearing goes on the outside, towards the counterweight.  :yesnod:

The eagle rods will be fine....no lubrication worries.  :2thumbs:

Ron

Belgium R/T -68

Starting to get ready for the weekend, cleaning all the parts, especially all old silicone  ;) Before checking the ringgap I need some help
deturming which ring is which. One of the toprings has red/white markings and are brighter and the other ones are darker and has a white
marking, which one is top? The 2 rings for the oilring, are they equal? It's speedpro rings but I don't find it in the instructionsheet.

firefighter3931

I would contact the ring manufacturer to be sure. Make sure you gap those rings properly....especially the top ring.  ;)

Ron

Belgium R/T -68

Found it on the box, the markingsystem was also logical ones you knew it. I have followed KB's recomendation and the gap is now 0,0028".

After working 26 years in enginemanufacturing massproducing them and then make your own you ask yourself how new cars last that long.  ;)

Belgium R/T -68

I got worried after a emailconversation with the previous owner were he claimed I could get into problems with my compression using
the KB237 since the heads have 78cc combustionchamber. Beeing -906 I counted on 88-90 but evidently they are milled because I meassured and
it's indeed 78. Will this bring the compression up to high? His formula said 12,0 beeing a 0,040 overbore.

FLG

Dont know what head gasket your using but by my calcs that sounds about right....but id wait for Ron or one of the other guys who are more knowledgeable to step in.

firefighter3931

Quote from: Belgium R/T -68 on October 25, 2008, 08:02:27 AM
I got worried after a emailconversation with the previous owner were he claimed I could get into problems with my compression using
the KB237 since the heads have 78cc combustionchamber. Beeing -906 I counted on 88-90 but evidently they are milled because I meassured and
it's indeed 78. Will this bring the compression up to high? His formula said 12,0 beeing a 0,040 overbore.

The kb 237's are a flattop with 5cc of relief volume. Assuming zero deck with a 4.36 bore and a .040 felpro head gasket and 78cc chamber it works out to 10.9:1 static compression. Too much for iron heads and pump gas.

I thought you were going to use the edelbrock heads on this engine ?  :shruggy:

With the 84cc Eddys and using the same headgasket and deckheight specs it works out to 10.3:1 which will work fine with pump gas.

Ron

BigBlockSam

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

Belgium R/T -68

The kb 237's are a flattop with 5cc of relief volume. Assuming zero deck with a 4.36 bore and a .040 felpro head gasket and 78cc chamber it works out to 10.9:1 static compression. Too much for iron heads and pump gas.

With the 84cc Eddys and using the same headgasket and deckheight specs it works out to 10.3:1 which will work fine with pump gas.

Ron
[/quote]

If the compression will be too high I could use them but I agreed with you that aluheads on a convertible cruiser is overdoing. Now, I meassured piston to deck
and it's 0,022. Will that help me a little bit?  :'(

Belgium R/T -68

Here is some pics from yesterdays work. The crank from the Charger is turning fine with correct play and also with rods and pistons it feels OK. :icon_smile_big:

firefighter3931

Quote from: Belgium R/T -68 on October 26, 2008, 03:14:14 AM

Ron

If the compression will be too high I could use them but I agreed with you that aluheads on a convertible cruiser is overdoing. Now, I meassured piston to deck
and it's 0,022. Will that help me a little bit?  :'(
[/quote]

The static compression drops to 10.34 with the .022 deck height.  :yesnod:

OK, here's what i would do if i wanted to run those iron heads :

The static compression needs to be knocked down so there are a couple of ways to do this. The easiest way would be to go with a thicker head gasket....Felpro # 1039 has an additional 4 cc of volume vs the #1009 and is also .010 thicker with a larger bore diameter. Neither of those things are a concern for you.  ;)

The 1039 will drop the static comp down to 9.7 which should be more manageable.  :2thumbs:

Ron

Belgium R/T -68

:2thumbs: Ron!
Other alternatives I thought about was:

Rebuilding a pair of untouched -906 heads I have over.
Using the 440source aluheads I bought with the strokerkit but don't need right now since I will use the eddyheads for that one.

Also saw Mancini has a "coppershim" gasket Fel-8519sp, says to give a extra 0,020 but 2 gaskets doesn't seems normal?

I really want a "friendly" easy tuned engine and with the K56 in it now and 2500 stall I would go for the best headsolution.  :shruggy:

firefighter3931

Use the 1039 gaskets....they will work fine with the 906 heads that you allready have. Those heads are freshly rebuilt so why not use them, right  ;)

I would save the aluminum heads for a more "agressive" build down the road.  :2thumbs:

Ron

Belgium R/T -68

Will order a pair tomorrow.  :cheers:

Belgium R/T -68

Weekends work fixed, the gaskets arrived today  :icon_smile_big: 60$ at Summit became 110$ when post and government got theres.  :'(