News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Vibrations

Started by Belgium R/T -68, August 02, 2008, 06:30:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

firefighter3931

Quote from: Belgium R/T -68 on August 09, 2008, 03:21:08 PM
With the car I got 10 years of saved reciepts for the resto and guess what! The cam has partnumber 4452783 and fits with his story of beeing a standard camshaft.
Guess those heads has to go off anyway.  :shruggy:

That is the hp 4bbl BB restoration cam.....it should run pretty smooth and idle nice.  :2thumbs:

Quote from: Belgium R/T -68 on August 10, 2008, 12:00:28 PM
I found his suspicious converterweight. Prev owner states he bought a Chrysler standard converter but the engineshop wanted that one aswell for the balancing of the engine, normally they
should be zerobalanced from factory?
//Per

If the engine was internally balanced, which it should be then there is no external balancing required. That weight could very well be the source of your vibrations.  :yesnod:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Belgium R/T -68

Since the old cam is out I will put something else in, want moore throttleresponse and low end power.

//Per

The heads are a pair of -906 he bought from McCandless racing (costed 750$ in 1996) , pocket ported, hardened seats and oversize valves so that also made
me decide to upgrade the cam.
Charger -68 R/T 500 cui Stroker

Belgium R/T -68

Could it be that the standard cam was a little bit to mild with the upgraded heads and higher compression (except cyl3) and therefor felt powerless?

six-tee-nine

Per,

sorry to see your having trouble with you GTX.

I probably would take off the heads even if it were just to take a peek underneath. I've read several things you posted about loose screws here and there.
Maybe the guy that put your engine together suffered from amnesia......Anyway would'nt you agree that it would be big sh*t to pull you engine within another year because someting came loose an destroyed something inside?

If it were my engine, I pulled the heads, valley pan and and the oil pan even if it were to check on everything.
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

Belgium R/T -68

Hi koen, to know how the total engine is I would have to take the pistons out aswell to make sure no rings are damaged or missing. I will upgrade to a better camshaft and take care
of the converter and if that doesn't help I will pull the engine out and put in the charger engine while I redo the GTX engine, that way I can take it easy since I don't need the Charger engine untill next year.

Belgium R/T -68

Could grind off the "balanceweight" on the converter today. Also found out that the bolts holding the tranny to the block was loose.  :brickwall:

aifilaw

Hah!
Chryco.... does this not remind you of the time I needed a replacement 727 and converter, and we knocked off a counter-weight with a sledge and a pry-bar from a converter to get it working before a car show.
'72 B5 Metallic Blue Hardtop
426" Wedge - Hydraulic Roller Stealth heads

Belgium R/T -68

New camshaft and converter free of homemade balanceweight but when I tried to start up now I don't get any spark.  :brickwall: I suppose that
even if the timing is totally wrong it should give a spark? Could wrongly connected cables have caused a burned ECU or coil?  :'(

Tilar

Quote from: Belgium R/T -68 on August 08, 2008, 11:51:35 AM
It hurts open an engine with almost no mileage but why was I not surprise when I removed the valve cover on left side and saw 1 of the bolts holding the rockershaft was loose.

Was this loose bolt maybe on the cylinder with the lower compression?
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

Belgium R/T -68

Belgium R/T -68

Have spark, changed carb, ECU, coil, checked all groundings, checked sparkwires according to fireorder but I can't get the car started. Hope the new cam doesn't take to much damage
from all cranking. Any suggestion would be appreciated. Turning the distributor doesn't change anything and have doublechecked TDC.

Brock Samson

hope this helps..  :shruggy:

john108

I hope I am not out of line here but, there are two top-dead-centers.  Make sure you are on the Compression Stroke.

Belgium R/T -68

Agree, but in case I'm wrong it should help to turn the distributor 180° or? I start to think something happens when I turn the key, when I use the remote starter
I have the spark and correct voltage but maybe not when I am using the ignitionkey or can't that be?

firefighter3931

Make sure your #1 piston is at the top of the bore in the firing position. Your carb might be dry and that's why it's not firing....especially if you're using a mechanical fuel pump.  :Twocents:

I allways fill the bowls on initial startups with a mechanical fuel pump.  ;)

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Belgium R/T -68

Engine is running! It was a combination of wrong TDC and a "dirty" carbutor. Tomorrow I will continue and see if the vibrations is gone and test the new camshaft!  :2thumbs:

firefighter3931

Quote from: Belgium R/T -68 on August 24, 2008, 03:07:15 PM
Engine is running! It was a combination of wrong TDC and a "dirty" carbutor. Tomorrow I will continue and see if the vibrations is gone and test the new camshaft!  :2thumbs:

Good news ! Hopefully you broke in the cam properly and matched the correct valvesprings.  :scratchchin:

Ron

Belgium R/T -68

The cam needs moore then the 2,94 in the rear I feel. Vibrations and resonance still there. Maybe there is something with the pistonrings in that cylinder?

firefighter3931

In your paperwork does it say anything about static or dynamic balance procedures ? Bobweight specs ?  :scratchchin:

Ron

Belgium R/T -68

Ron, sorry for bad scanning but the paper is from 11-30-96. What should I look for? Under the partsdescription in the middle of that field it says:

Pistons, Balancer, Converter

3 strange signs and the number 896

//Per

firefighter3931

Quote from: Belgium R/T -68 on August 27, 2008, 11:31:16 AM
Ron, sorry for bad scanning but the paper is from 11-30-96. What should I look for? Under the partsdescription in the middle of that field it says:

Pistons, Balancer, Converter

3 strange signs and the number 896

//Per

Ya, that scan leaves a little to be desired.....i need some special goggles to see what's written down on that invoice.  :coolgleamA:   :lol:

It doesn't appear that the rotating assembly was staticly or dynamicly balanced unless there is a second invoice outlining additional machining procedures.  :scratchchin:

I'm wondering if this engine was even balanced allthough it appears that the shop attempted something by adding that extra weight to your torque converter.  ;)

It might be worth a call to that shop and see if they keep any records....some shops do. Quote the invoice number and see what they say.  :Twocents:

Ron

Belgium R/T -68

I agree with you Ron, I don't think it either. I think I will pull the oilpan and look at the crank and rods for trace of balancing.  :scratchchin:

Belgium R/T -68

After trying tuning for a while but still ending up with a engine shaking like you think your motormounts will brake and power like a 6-cylinder I decided to pull
the engine to finally know what's wrong. //Per

Belgium R/T -68

Here is some pics of a engine with 500 miles on it. Pistons were lowcompression instead of the HP the previous owner payed for, so why the biggervalves and portjob?
The bores looks worse then the ones in my Chargerengine with it's 10000+ miles. What could have happend? Wrong honing? I will propably not get the pistonrings out without braking them. Am I looking forward to a total rebuild here?  :brickwall:

six-tee-nine

Yikes Per......

Those cilinder walls look like sh*t.
My first idea is that your engine will not have a decent compression but I recall that the compression you measured was not too bad so    :shruggy:

Anyway, my 440 looks the same and I'll surely rebuilt mine before running it ever again....
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...