News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Vibrations

Started by Belgium R/T -68, August 02, 2008, 06:30:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve P.

Not exactly... The problem with flooding is that you can put allot of fuel into the oil.. It can "wash the cylinders" meaning to  take away your piston and rings lubricant.

Ok, no more taking anything for granted..

When you lifted the distributor did you mark the position of both the rotor and the housing? If you did not do this and put them back at the starting point this is more than likely your problem.. A quick check is to remove the cap and by hand rotate the crank to TDC. If you are close it should fire. If not you will need to pull the drivers side valve cover and rotate the crank to the firing position on #1. Change the rotor position to fire at the top of the compression stroke. That's after the intake stroke and before the exhaust valve opens.

It is possible that you pushed the oil pump drive out of the teeth putting the pump back in.. Then the distributor goes in at 0 or 180* and either would be off..
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

firefighter3931

Quote from: Steve P. on December 01, 2008, 06:26:37 PM
Not exactly... The problem with flooding is that you can put allot of fuel into the oil.. It can "wash the cylinders" meaning to  take away your piston and rings lubricant.

Ok, no more taking anything for granted..

When you lifted the distributor did you mark the position of both the rotor and the housing? If you did not do this and put them back at the starting point this is more than likely your problem.. A quick check is to remove the cap and by hand rotate the crank to TDC. If you are close it should fire. If not you will need to pull the drivers side valve cover and rotate the crank to the firing position on #1. Change the rotor position to fire at the top of the compression stroke. That's after the intake stroke and before the exhaust valve opens.

It is possible that you pushed the oil pump drive out of the teeth putting the pump back in.. Then the distributor goes in at 0 or 180* and either would be off..

Steve beat me to it.  :yesnod: Check and recheck the distributor phasing. The comments on washing down the cylinders with fuel are dead on. Pull the dipstick and smell it....if there is an odor of gas you should change the oil immediately. The last thing you want to do is wash down the cylinders and ruin your rings.  :P

I'm starting to think that the float level in your carb is adjusted too high or it (the float) is sticking. Do you have another carb you can swap on this engine.....one that is a known good carb ? It doesn't have to be anything fancy....just something to get the car up and running for now....

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Belgium R/T -68

After I mechanicly blocked the electrical choke the engine started after much pumping. It runs OK untill it starts to get warm then it
gets way to much fuel and starves. It's a new eddy 750 vacuum and after removing it I saw that when I slowly moove the throttle-
lever gasoline is poring and not spraying like normally. What should I look for when I take it apart? And again, why did it work the first
20 minutes 2 weeks ago with the choke?

I will also change oil since it's burning good when you put a cigarettelighter to the oildipstick. :rofl:
Hell, everything smells of gasoline now in my garage so the oil aswell I guess. ;)
Charger -68 R/T 500 cui Stroker

six-tee-nine

Per,

Do me a favour will ya.....go outside when you need a smoke...... And hang in there you'll get her on the road again......
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

Belgium R/T -68

Quote from: six-tee-nine on December 02, 2008, 02:32:29 PM
Per,

Do me a favour will ya.....go outside when you need a smoke...... And hang in there you'll get her on the road again......

I will Koen  :cheers:

I'm done with Edelbroeck, have bought a 600, a 750 and a 800 this year and they are all showing problems. :icon_smile_angry:

the stroker for the Charger will have a Proform, already laying here waiting.  :icon_smile_cool:

firefighter3931

Quote from: Belgium R/T -68 on December 02, 2008, 11:39:51 AM
After I mechanicly blocked the electrical choke the engine started after much pumping. It runs OK untill it starts to get warm then it gets way to much fuel and starves.

The engine is not starving for fuel....it's flooding (too much fuel & not enough air) Is the choke flap open when it's doing this ?

Quote from: Belgium R/T -68 on December 02, 2008, 11:39:51 AM

I will also change oil since it's burning good when you put a cigarettelighter to the oildipstick. :rofl:

Yep, the oil is now contaminated with fuel....dump it right away.  :yesnod:

Per, go to the Edelbrock website and look at their tuning tips. From what you are describing the float is sticking or out of adjustment.  :Twocents:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Belgium R/T -68

The carb is now apart and obviously dirt can't be seen but the float drop level is 1,25" instead of the 15/16-1" the manual indicate,
could that have an effect on the flloding?

Ghoste

firefighter3931

Belgium R/T -68

I f****d up the new carb, wanted to clean the little pump jethousing and when I took it of a spring jumped out and disapeard
somewhere in my garage. I have 2 older models, 600 and 750 but they don't have the spring, only the brass weight so I guess I have to use
one of them just to test the car. :brickwall:
Changed the oil also which was like water so tomorrow I hopefully can take a drive. :icon_smile_big:

Sublime/Sixpack

Man, you have really had some bad luck!   Heres wishing that your luck changes, and all goes well tomorrow!
1970 Sublime R/T, 440 Six Pack, Four speed, Super Track Pak

firefighter3931

Quote from: Sublime/Sixpack on December 05, 2008, 10:44:24 PM
Man, you have really had some bad luck!   

Ya, no kidding ! Per if you didn't have bad luck....you would have no luck at all !!!  :brickwall:

Get some video of that GTX burning rubber  :coolgleamA:

Ron

Ghoste

Are you talking about the springs in the step up pistons for the metering rods?

Belgium R/T -68

Quote from: Ghoste on December 05, 2008, 11:49:41 PM
Are you talking about the springs in the step up pistons for the metering rods?

This is the springlocation on the new 750 and my old 600 and 750 don't have one and the surface on the bottom of the jethouse is flat
on the new while you see (although it's a bad picture) on the old ones it's not.  :shruggy:

Anyway now it's idling like a baby  :icon_smile_big:  but I feel the K56 want's a bigger carb then a old eddy 600. ;)

Ron, I will get you that video this weekend. Do you think my Proform 850 race will be too big for this build? I also need a choke
for a cruiser like this with shit winters.

firefighter3931

Quote from: Belgium R/T -68 on December 06, 2008, 06:25:20 AM

Anyway now it's idling like a baby  :icon_smile_big:  but I feel the K56 want's a bigger carb then a old eddy 600. ;)

Victory !  :ricky: :boogie: :cheers: Yes the 600cfm on a dual plane is not enough carb  :P

Quote from: Belgium R/T -68 on December 06, 2008, 06:25:20 AM
Ron, I will get you that video this weekend. Do you think my Proform 850 race will be too big for this build? I also need a choke
for a cruiser like this with shit winters.

Looking forward to that video ! :coolgleamA:

I like the Proform 750 "street" series carb for that combination....the 850 cfm race carb is too much, inmo. Save the 850 for your stroker build  ;)

Mancini has the 750 carbs on sale with an electric choke. This is a vacuum secondary carb and with 3.23 gears/mild cam & stock converter is a good choice. Fuel economy will be better and this is a cruiser build.  :icon_smile_cool:

http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/prca.html

Ron

Belgium R/T -68

Ron,
Thought so about the proform. Just went to my other garage to steal the Holly 750 vacuum from my chrysler 300 -69 (the ship) to
use for my testride. :icon_smile_big: Need to use a 1" plate though for fuelline clearence. This carb has been a dream on that car
so I will put it back as soon as I have got the 750 Proform.

What pleases me in all this mess with the GTX is that I have now decided to build the stroker myself, there was some moments when
I was planning to put all parts in the Volvo and give it to the speedshop and let them build it but now my selfconfidence is back and I can
use those 2000$ of labourcost for tires instead.  :rofl:

BigBlockSam

QuoteGet some video of that GTX burning rubber  coolgleamA

:yesnod:     :boogie:   :drive:
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

Ghoste

Quote from: Belgium R/T -68 on December 06, 2008, 10:21:58 AMI can use those 2000$ of labourcost for tires instead.  :rofl:

I like the way you think.   :D :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

Belgium R/T -68

Ready for the big test tomorrow :cheers: Weathermen promise dry and sunny so there will be no excuses. ;)

Had to make a homemade bracket for the coil and if anybody has a trick to raise the attachement of the throttlecable to manifold let me know.
The Chrysler has a Weiand manifold and it's easier with dual fuellines, don't need the spacer.

Belgium R/T -68

Propably the holly is adjusted for the Chrysler because it real good throttleresponse and sound when it's cold but ones it's getting
warm and the choke is off you feel he needs moore fuel. I will not mess with it since I ordered the Proform 750. :icon_smile_big:
The car drives good and it makes me happy. :2thumbs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqhcGYfk4-E

b5blue

Yahoooooo!!!!!!NOW YOU ARE GETTING GOOD GOOD GOOD-GOOD VIBRATIONS!!!!!

six-tee-nine

:2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

Yeeeha per..... maybe some fine tuning but she sounds awesome.....
Victory at last....
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

Belgium R/T -68

Quote from: six-tee-nine on December 07, 2008, 12:53:03 PM
:2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

Yeeeha per..... maybe some fine tuning but she sounds awesome.....
Victory at last....

You should have heard it while the choke still was activated. :icon_smile_big:

BigBlockSam

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

Steve P.

She looks and sounds great Per...  Great job....    :cheers:
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida