News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Spark Plug Wires

Started by 68-440, January 02, 2009, 02:30:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

68-440

440 Block with Edelbrock Performer RPM 440 Heads and TTI 2" headers.
What shape plug boots are recommended for cylinders 1 through 8?
90, 45, or straight boots?

firefighter3931

Quote from: 68-440 on January 02, 2009, 02:30:19 PM
440 Block with Edelbrock Performer RPM 440 Heads and TTI 2" headers.
What shape plug boots are recommended for cylinders 1 through 8?
90, 45, or straight boots?

Here is what the pro-fit Firecore 50"s look like on that exact same combination ; RPM angled plug heads & 2in primary TTI headers. These are all 135* boots and available in 8mm as well as 8.5mm. Stock or MSD HEI style distributor cap terminals too.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

68-440

Is the only difference between 8 and 8.5 mm wires is that the 8.5 mm have better (thicker) insulation?

Belgium R/T -68

Have a set for my GTX 440 with stock manifolds and one set for my strokerbuild with TTI headers, best premade wires I ever saw. :2thumbs:
Charger -68 R/T 500 cui Stroker

firefighter3931

Quote from: 68-440 on January 02, 2009, 02:56:49 PM
Is the only difference between 8 and 8.5 mm wires is that the 8.5 mm have better (thicker) insulation?

Actually either wire has plenty of insulation but the 8mm cost more because they are more difficult to manufacture. The resto guys prefer the 8mm because they look more stock and have no Firecore logos on them but from a performance/durability standpoint they are identical....unless you are making over 1000hp  :icon_smile_big:

Personally, i like the 8.5's and will be running them on my own car which is very far from stock. My engine looks very similar to the one posted above.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Just 6T9 CHGR

My 8's on my "raceday" set up from Firecore
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

john108

I just noticed this post:
I have seen the Firecore wires discussed previously and they were $95 for the 8.0 mm.
On Summit, the 8.5 mm MSD Super Conductors are about $93 which is comparable in price.
1.  How would you technically compare these two sets of wires?
2.  How much cheeper is the 8.5mm vs the 8.0 mm Firecores.
3.  How much is the shipping, to CA, for the Firecores?  Adding an extra item to my Summit order of 6 items results in about $2 for the wires.

firefighter3931

Quote from: john108 on January 03, 2009, 02:00:47 AM
I just noticed this post:
I have seen the Firecore wires discussed previously and they were $95 for the 8.0 mm.
On Summit, the 8.5 mm MSD Super Conductors are about $93 which is comparable in price.
1.  How would you technically compare these two sets of wires?
2.  How much cheeper is the 8.5mm vs the 8.0 mm Firecores.
3.  How much is the shipping, to CA, for the Firecores?  Adding an extra item to my Summit order of 6 items results in about $2 for the wires.

John ;

#1 The performance will be quite similar initially....that is comparing 2 new sets of wires back to back on a dyno. The advantage the Firecores have is superior materials and construction. Better insulation and RF suppression, more durable outer sheathing, brass terminals and real silicone boots that won't dry out, crack and spark leak. MSD quality has gone down hill over the last few years. I used to run MSD wire stuff exclusively too....I have a brand new set of 8.5mm MSD wires sitting on the shelf for sale locally....some Chevy guy can have them.  :lol:

#2 The pro-fit (stock cap + Headers) 8mm and 8.5mm sets are the same price ($95). The factory fit wiresets for stock manifolds are $10 more.

#3 Shipping to Ca should be ~ $15 give or take a few bucks.

Ron

mikepmcs

Ron,
I need a set please, I'm tired of looking at those red ones and they just look like a mess in there(all over the place).
I like the logo, so I guess 8.5's for me.
8251 coil, stock cap, headers.
Thanks
Tell me where to send the money, shipping to 04355, Readfield, Maine.

V/R
Mike
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

firefighter3931

Quote from: mikepmcs on January 22, 2009, 04:02:01 PM
Ron,
I need a set please, I'm tired of looking at those red ones and they just look like a mess in there(all over the place).
I like the logo, so I guess 8.5's for me.
8251 coil, stock cap, headers.
Thanks
Tell me where to send the money, shipping to 04355, Readfield, Maine.

V/R
Mike

Mike, the 8251 coil is an HEI male terminal so i need to know where you mounted it or how long of a coil lead you require. I have the Blaster SS on mine with the same terminal and used a 16in coil lead. The rest is pretty straitforward. I will have Rick make up a custom coilwire for your application (length & terminal) and there is no extra charge.  ;) The standard sets come with a 12in coilwire with male on both ends...just like stock, FYI.  :yesnod:

Pm me your mailing address and i will get right on it.  :2thumbs:

Ron

mikepmcs

Ok,
I would say 19 inches to be safe(that's from the bottom of the boot on the coil to the bottom of the boot on the cap)  I'm guessing performance wise that is probably pushing it isn't it? 
Yes, male hei type terminal on the coil end, cap is old school.

PM sent.

Thanks
Mike
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

firefighter3931

Quote from: mikepmcs on January 22, 2009, 05:02:43 PM
Ok,
I would say 19 inches to be safe(that's from the bottom of the boot on the coil to the bottom of the boot on the cap)  I'm guessing performance wise that is probably pushing it isn't it? 
Yes, male hei type terminal on the coil end, cap is old school.

PM sent.

Thanks
Mike

Mike, to answer your question ; a 19in coilwire is fine....no worries.  ;)

Just heard back from Rick....your wires will be shipped out in the morning.  :2thumbs:

Ron

Steve P.

Now THAT'S some fast custom work.....    :2thumbs:
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

mikepmcs

Steve,
No kidding, those wires were here in I believe under 48 hours.  Nice stuff and each wire already equipped with the little placement id clips on them.  Talk about quality stuff!!!! I could not be happier with the service I've received twice now.  Bought some for a 340 a while back and they fit perfectly as well.
I going to get a set for my coronet as soon as I have some extra cash.

Ron, how about hillside hemi wires?? does Rick do a slanty package as well?  I have 2 of those cars that I will be turning into daily drivers eventually.

firefighter3931

Mike, thanks for the positive feedback !  :2thumbs:

I'm very happy to be working with Rick and to be representing the Firecore product, which i feel is top shelf. The customer service is second to none and Rick does everything possible to supply the product as quickly as possible. Rick and I are also good buddies and we share a common bond (Rick is a Firefighter in Cleveland)  :coolgleamA:

I'm sure we can get you a set of slant 6 wires custom made. Supply me with the wire lengths and preferred boot/cap ends and it will get done !  ;)

I had a set made for Brian (1Hot68) in custom lengths that he requested....no problemo.  :icon_smile_cool:

Does the Coronet run manifolds or headers ? I have a set of 8mm factory fit wires in stock....these have no logo's on the sheathing and work with the factory looms.  :2thumbs:

Ron

Ps. Did you get your pulley issue worked out ? I might have a set of factory pullies lying around out in the shed, but i would have to go dig out the 6ft of snow to check.  :lol:

mikepmcs

Quote from: firefighter3931 on January 30, 2009, 07:16:17 AM

I'm very happy to be working with Rick and to be representing the Firecore product, which i feel is top shelf. The customer service is second to none and Rick does everything possible to supply the product as quickly as possible. Rick and I are also good buddies and we share a common bond (Rick is a Firefighter in Cleveland)  :coolgleamA:

I'm sure we can get you a set of slant 6 wires custom made. Supply me with the wire lengths and preferred boot/cap ends and it will get done !  ;)

Does the Coronet run manifolds or headers ? I have a set of 8mm factory fit wires in stock....these have no logo's on the sheathing and work with the factory looms.  :2thumbs:

Ps. Did you get your pulley issue worked out ? I might have a set of factory pullies lying around out in the shed, but i would have to go dig out the 6ft of snow to check.  :lol:

Ron,
You guys have a thankless job. So... thanks for what you do.  Explains the Firecore name. ;D

As far as the 6's go, we'll hold off on those but I will give you measurements in the near future when the snow melts off the hoods.  Heck I'll give you measurements anyways in case Rick needs them to mock a set up.  But I'm leaning towards spring on those.

I'm happy to say the Coronet has one of the prettiest and closest to stock motors I've ever owned(talking older cars here).  It sports stock manifolds. :icon_smile_big:  She's a beauty!  I guess I'll be having to take those 8mm off your hands then.  Can't have them sitting on the shelf now.

No, on the pulley issue.  I was a little taken back by the cost.  Wasn't ready for that one.  I'm tracking a few on ebay right now but would really rather support someone on this site but not to the tune of what a retailer wants for those 2 pulleys.  Car is 383 with no A/C and w/ PS, so I need a 2v crank and a 1v WP.  Another quandry...do I need the extra hub/spacer to get the fan closer to the radiator when the time comes to install it, this is mostly a rhetorical question, I can make that one happen no prob.(the coronet seems to have one). I do know I need a shroud and I will rectify that soon as well.  Not critical due to usage so far and it's winter so I have some time.

Couldn't mess with the car yesterday due to having to take my goddaughter to the ortho.  She broke a brace bracket and mom was at work and dad is up north working.  So I fulfilled my family duties as "The Godfather" :patriot:

If you run across those pulleys in the near future, I'd be happy to purchase them from you. 

v/r
Mike

firefighter3931

Mike, don't buy any pullies !  ;)

Just got back in from the shed (I knew i had them  :icon_smile_big:) and just test fitted them on a stock balancer and waterpump. These were given to me awhile back and are painted Yellow (don't ask...i don't know why either  :lol:) so the will need a good sandblast and some paint or powdercoat. I also have a 2in solid fan spacer if you want it....came off my 68 and fit fine with a stock 3 core rad (1in clearance fan > rad).

Ok, here's the deal. When you're ready for your Coronet Firecores....these parts will come along for the ride.  :drive:

Consider it a customer appreciation bonus.  :cheers:

Ron

mikepmcs

Ron,
Thanks a ton!  I'm ready for them. 
Price and shipping please as I know the 8mm are a little more costly to make and it sounds like you are sending them from your place which will cost more as well.. To the same address via paypal will work, I assume.

I just sold my video camera for $140 so I've got the money ready to go. :icon_smile_big:

Thanks again, woohoooo! :woohoo:
I might just leave the pulleys yellow.  Kind of a car "AUTO"biography if you will.

Also, as I was typing this, the phone rang and I was offered the job at the VA that I told you about.  Thanks for the well wishes.  I start Monday.... got my foot in the door. Phew!!!
Might have enough time to gain a couple days off come Carlisle.

v/r
Mike

firefighter3931

Quote from: mikepmcs on January 30, 2009, 12:37:48 PM
Also, as I was typing this, the phone rang and I was offered the job at the VA that I told you about.  Thanks for the well wishes.  I start Monday.... got my foot in the door. Phew!!!
Might have enough time to gain a couple days off come Carlisle.

v/r
Mike

Wow, that is Fantastic news.....very happy for you Mike !  :2thumbs: I'm sure you'll do a great job for the VA  ;)

No excuses now....you're coming to Carlisle and i'm gonna force you to drink some Canadian Beer  :lol:

Quote from: mikepmcs on January 30, 2009, 12:37:48 PM

I might just leave the pulleys yellow.  Kind of a car "AUTO"biography if you will.

Not a chance....those pullies must be painted. You need to promise me !  :icon_smile_big:

I don't want people looking in your engine bay and asking about the nice looking  :eek2: pullies Firefighter sent me ! Geez, maybe i should blast them before i ship...just to make sure.  :smilielol:

Mike, i'm just on my way out the door for the w/e....i'll get on it as soon as i get back home. Shipping won't be too bad....i'm closer to you than Rick in Cleveland.  ;)

Have a good w/e and again, congrats on your new career....good things happen to good people !  :cheers:

Ron

mikepmcs

:2thumbs: Thanks. No hurry.  Have a great weekend as well.

Oh, and you have my word on the pulleys.  I will paint them.