News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Electric fuel pump mounting locations. (with pump question)

Started by Joshs68, July 31, 2008, 03:14:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joshs68

Hi,
I wanted to see some pics or tell me where you mounted an electric pump on your charger.
I have one mounted on my framerail in front of the spring shackle now and I dont like it there. I have heard of guys putting them on the shock mount. I dont think I have enough room in that spot. (dana)I think it would fit above the diff facing the tank on that little flat spot that is double thick metal, but then it woud be higher than the tank. Thats not good either.
Maybe I should just stay with the mechanical .
Thanks!!

firefighter3931

Most guys mount them up between the shocks.  :2thumbs:

I wouldn't worry about the pump being slightly higher than the tank....many run them that way with excellent results.  :Twocents:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Joshs68

Thanks.
and thanks for moving the post to the correct section, sorry bout that.

Rolling_Thunder

I am going to run my pump between the shocks - i am worried about it being above the tank (dont like burning up A1000 pumps) so i'm going to run a check valve to there is always fuel in the pump    :2thumbs:
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

Joshs68

This is what I was thinking of using, although I am going to put on a new carb( 950 maybe a proform) and I might just try a mechanical pump.
474" b engine. has a 1050 now. Runs fine but I think it might be a bit much for mainly street dirving .

I do have a question for you firefighter or anybody. are mechanical pumps and electric pumps rated the same? is a 110 or 120 gph mechanical rated the same as an 110/120 gph electric? I mean is it rated at a specific rpm or is it 110 gph free flow or at 5psi? This aeromotive is rated at 90gph@ 5psi. but they call  it a 7psi pump.

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=AEI%2D11209&N=700+115&autoview=sku

firefighter3931

Quote from: Joshs68 on July 31, 2008, 12:10:34 PM
This is what I was thinking of using, although I am going to put on a new carb( 950 maybe a proform) and I might just try a mechanical pump.
474" b engine. has a 1050 now. Runs fine but I think it might be a bit much for mainly street dirving .

I do have a question for you firefighter or anybody. are mechanical pumps and electric pumps rated the same? is a 110 or 120 gph mechanical rated the same as an 110/120 gph electric? I mean is it rated at a specific rpm or is it 110 gph free flow or at 5psi? This aeromotive is rated at 90gph@ 5psi. but they call  it a 7psi pump.

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=AEI%2D11209&N=700+115&autoview=sku

Josh, the PF 950 is an awesome carb.....i wouldn't think twice about running it on your combo.  ;)

The Carter mechanical pumps are rated as "free flow". As for the comments about worrying about the pump working too hard being above the tank : A friend bracket races his Cuda and runs a holley blue mounted in the engine bay....been like that for years. Not my first choice for the pump location but it appears to be working fine for him.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

chargerman68

Quote from: Rolling_Thunder on July 31, 2008, 11:51:46 AM
I am going to run my pump between the shocks - i am worried about it being above the tank (dont like burning up A1000 pumps) so i'm going to run a check valve to there is always fuel in the pump    :2thumbs:

r u using this on your 6.1 project

i was wondering what in tank fuel pump is good for my charger
1968 CHARGER R/T CLONELOOKING FOR ANOTHER PROJECT 69-70 CHARGER SHELL

Steve P.

MOST times I hear of trouble with a high mounted pump the suction line is also high. Most times it's a loss of prim that causes problems. Sometimes it's a bad sender. (Pin holes). I know of many that use a electric pump mounted high but have a sump welded into the tank to draw fuel off the bottom and keep gas in the line between the pick-up and pump.
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida