News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Engine oil information

Started by idahogrumpy, July 31, 2008, 10:17:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

idahogrumpy

I work for a New Holland agricultural dealership and I was curious with all of the over the counter oil going the way of the new epa regulations how our New Holland oil stacked up, here is what I found.
                  10W  10W30  30      15W40   20W50   .    .    .    .    .
Cst @ 40c    42    80    108     112        157
Cst @ 100c    7.0    11.6   12.1    14.8       18.0
Viscosity Index 105    133    105    136       135
Borderline pumping temperature, C (F)
         -33 (-27)  -33 (-27) -20 (-4) -29 (-20) -20 (-4)
Zinc, wt %
   0.17    0.17    0.17    0.17    0.17
Sulfated Ash, wt%
   1.5    1.5    1.5    1.5    1.5
TBN (ASTM D-2896)    12    12    12    12    12

NH-AmbrA MasterGold HSP Engine Oil

CJ-4 ENGINE OILS
The newest API Service Category for Diesel engine lubricants is CJ-4. This new category is designed for 2007 engines and on-highway diesel emission requirements in combination with Ultra Low Sulfur Fuel, ULSF. Equivalent emission requirements for off-highway engines will not phase in until 2011-2012.

At this time, CNH engine engineering has decided not to change Case No. 1 and New Holland Mastergold HSP Engine oils to meet CJ-4.  Taking into account off-highway higher sulfur fuels and higher load factors, CNH feels that the current formulations are the most appropriate at this time. Reformulating the engine oils to meet CJ-4 would mean a reduction of the zinc anti-wear additive and lower Total Base Number than current products, and result in higher cost.

Additionally, several trade publications and competitive OEMs have expressed concern over maintaining current drain intervals with CJ-4 oils in off-highway severe duty applications.

Now if I am reading this correctly New Holland tractor oil should keep our for Mopars going for years to come.
Just a thought,,,, Kyle

ps
I was told that the zinc content is at 1700 parts per million. That should be enough to protect our solid camshafts & lifters.
Too much to say
Too much to do
Too tired to get it done
Too stubborn to give up
GRUMPY
Modified 73 440 Charger, 03 Intrepid SXT, 02 Neon and 2001 Ram 1500 .

firefighter3931

Quote from: idahogrumpy on July 31, 2008, 10:17:26 PM
I was told that the zinc content is at 1700 parts per million. That should be enough to protect our solid camshafts & lifters.

Assuming the 1700ppm figure is correct i would have to agree.  :yesnod:

Good info, thanks for posting your findings.  :2thumbs:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

craigandlynda

thanx for the info....i have a question...
in the specs, it says "borderline pumping temperature"....i assume that means how cold it can get and the oil still flow? or not flow...?

idahogrumpy

That is how I would interpit what is stated there.
Too much to say
Too much to do
Too tired to get it done
Too stubborn to give up
GRUMPY

badass

Where can you get it ,a New holland dealer service center?  Igot some Brad penn break in with comp cam additive for startup was going to go about 2 hrs then switch to something else but am not shure and add comp cam additive again New Holland sounds like a good choice,what you guys think?
mopars best **** the rest

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: badass on August 07, 2008, 07:01:28 AM
Where can you get it ,a New holland dealer service center?  Igot some Brad penn break in with comp cam additive for startup was going to go about 2 hrs then switch to something else but am not shure and add comp cam additive again New Holland sounds like a good choice,what you guys think?

Personally Id stick with the Brad Penn, its VERY good oil and its designed specifically for HiPo applications.  :Twocents:
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

idahogrumpy

New Holland brand oil can be bought from a New Holland tractor dealer. They are all over the world. The Case IH oil seemed to have the same specs. available through Case IH tractor dealers. Kyle
Too much to say
Too much to do
Too tired to get it done
Too stubborn to give up
GRUMPY

Chryco Psycho

Case & New Holland are the same co

idahogrumpy

Yes Case and New Holland are the same companies, I did not want to confuse the issue. Both Case and New Holland dealerships are under different dealer licenses so to speak, they maintain separate identities. They also use different part numbers. Case dealers can not order New Holland Parts and vice a versa. Kyle
Too much to say
Too much to do
Too tired to get it done
Too stubborn to give up
GRUMPY