News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Piston Rings---Best Choice for street 440

Started by Chatt69chgr, July 29, 2008, 09:06:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chatt69chgr

There seem to be quite a few vendor choices for piston rings for 440 engines.  What would be the best choice for a street engine.  Right now, I am looking at a 30 over zero deck 10.3:1 CR using 84cc Stealth heads, stock steel crank, and 440 source H-beams along with Keith Black KB822 pistons.  This piston uses 1/16, 1/16, 3/16 rings.  I did some surfing and looks like the moly file fit offered by several vendors are oftentimes used.  I would assume that for a street engine, a normal tension oil ring would be best.  Spirited driving----no racing.  Also, I'am leaning toward Clevite #77 main and rod bearings.  Comments?  Suggestions?

aifilaw

get the best and you won't be disappointed. Rings are cheap(ish, compared with most engine parts).
Example, you only plan on daily driving and never racing.... why get forged pistons.... I'll tell you why, because with hypereuratic or cast pistons you have that bad tank of gas and all of a sudden your detonating like mad... you get home and with a hyper piston you have a hole through your piston and with a forged it takes the beating and keeps on for another 100k miles.
'72 B5 Metallic Blue Hardtop
426" Wedge - Hydraulic Roller Stealth heads

Chatt69chgr

My thoughts on the pistons.  Now, what are the best rings?  Childs and Albert?  Somebody else?  And what about bearings?  Which kind of rod and main bearings.

firefighter3931

Chatt, go with the speed pro plasma moly rings.  :2thumbs:

Clevite for the main, rod and cam bearings.  :yesnod:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Chatt69chgr

aifilaw

Speed Pro file-fit's are what I used on darn near every build

Chatt69chgr

I found the Speed Pro rings on Flatlander Racings site.  For 440 Chrysler's they list the rings for 4.32 bore as part number R9798 for a standard tension (I assume for the oil ring).  Under sizes, they list .005, .035, and .065.  Does this mean that if I bore my block to 30 over that the .035 would be the correct size to order?  I don't know if the Flatlander webpage is old but it lists them for $139.  Summit lists these as part SLP-R979835 for $169.

I've never had an engine bored and am trying to understand more about it before I talk to my machinist.   

aifilaw

That is correct, just make sure you, or your machinist fits them and measures them before you do a final install

Chatt69chgr

OK.  Thanks Aifilaw.  Appreciate the help. 

375instroke

Sure, don't skimp, but throwing money at it doesn't guarantee satisfaction.  Top fuel motors aren't cheap, but they only need to last 1/4 mile.  NASCAR motors only 200 or 500 miles or so.  I'm sure we are looking for performance, but most importantly, longevity.  Are the Childs & Albert comparable to Speed Pro and Total Seal?  Do the zero gap top ring or zero gap second ring last long or wear out fast?  Would one want the top or second ring to be the gapless one?  Moly filled or plasma moly?  Is there such a thing as chromemoly rings, or are people confused by hearing the terms chrome rings or moly rings used, and think people are abbreviating chromemoly?

firefighter3931

Quote from: 375instroke on July 31, 2008, 07:34:22 PM
Sure, don't skimp, but throwing money at it doesn't guarantee satisfaction.  Top fuel motors aren't cheap, but they only need to last 1/4 mile.  NASCAR motors only 200 or 500 miles or so.  I'm sure we are looking for performance, but most importantly, longevity.  Are the Childs & Albert comparable to Speed Pro and Total Seal?  Do the zero gap top ring or zero gap second ring last long or wear out fast?  Would one want the top or second ring to be the gapless one?  Moly filled or plasma moly?  Is there such a thing as chromemoly rings, or are people confused by hearing the terms chrome rings or moly rings used, and think people are abbreviating chromemoly?

Plasma moly rings seat up faster than a conventional Chrome "cast" ring and they last for a loooong time.  :2thumbs:

Chatt, you want the .035 rings if you're boring the block out to 4.35in.  ;)

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs