News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

and what do you find ODD about this 1973 Charger SE?

Started by RD, August 08, 2008, 08:54:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RD

67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

Drache

Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

RD

67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

Brock Samson

what catches my eye is the opera window hole, and the rear bumper corner looks like it has the tin around the opening like i've seen on nascars...
but that can't be right, I do like the part in the discription where the guys says "it's all stock" when that hood sure looks tacked on to me..
pretty high price too...  :P

bordin34

The extended vinyl top, removed opera window covers, 74 steering wheel.

1973 SE Brougham Black 4̶0̶0̶  440 Auto.
1967 Coronet Black 440 Auto
1974 SE Brougham Blue 318 Auto- Sold to a guy in Croatia
1974 Valiant Green 318 Auto - Sold to a guy in Louisiana
Mahwah,NJ

73ChargerSE

Weird vinyl top trim?  Doesn't have the same corners as a regular third gen full top?

RD

Quote from: bordin34 on August 08, 2008, 09:10:35 PM
The extended vinyl top, removed opera window covers, 74 steering wheel.

ding ding ding ding....  the vinyl top is a full vinyl top.  without looking at the build sheet/fender tag, not sure this was offered as 73 SE's were 3/4 vinyl tops.  Maybe Nacho or Twilt will chime in, but I dont think full vinyl tops existed like this at all in 73/74.

the tri-louver windows are just that... the opera windows are actually more like a 72 SE style windows.  And yes, bordin is correct, the tri-louver is missing.

lastly, is it really a 73? the vin shows a "3", but the hood has no cowl louvers on it (which is a 74 only item), so the steering wheel maybe correct.  if only we could get a better look at the ralley cluster or the seatbelts, or even the fendertag for that matter, to see if they match up with the VIN as stated in the auction.  but, the steering wheel is a different color, so it could have been added onto the car when the hood was acquired.

very interesting to say the least, just because of the vinyl top.

Charger1973

The top looks strange because of the color but that doesnt mean it didnt come with a full top.  I know for a fact they made them like that.  There are members on this board with 73/74s with full tops like that and plenty of pictures if you dig around on this site.  I guess I have never looked at the top trim close enough to tell if this one is correct or not but it very well could be. 

magnum

Quote from: Charger1973 on August 09, 2008, 07:15:40 AM
The top looks strange because of the color but that doesnt mean it didnt come with a full top.  I know for a fact they made them like that.  There are members on this board with 73/74s with full tops like that and plenty of pictures if you dig around on this site.  I guess I have never looked at the top trim close enough to tell if this one is correct or not but it very well could be. 
I agree, I have seen that top before and there is a name for them but cant think of it off the top of my head. The steering wheel and hood are wrong for that year though.
Takes a MOPAR to catch a mopar!

Charger1973

Charger1973

A couple pics I had handy of a members car with that roof.  Thats not to say thats what the car in the auction is, just pointing out that the full vinyl roof cars do exist. 

RD

sorry, i meant to say for SEs, I have not seen a SE with a full vinyl top.  I remember the spring special, but that was a 74 only vehicle, not 73.

WP29G3A197622  its a SE, and not a spring special.

so now the question is, has there been a 73 SE offered with a full vinyl top?

Charger1973

This is as close as they came, more of a halo roof on SE's.

RD

Quote from: Charger1973 on August 09, 2008, 10:45:19 AM

i agree with you there, but the ebay charger has the more traditional style of vinyl top... see my quandry?  if this is an SE and it came with the full vinyl top (like the 74 style special) then this would make it a very rare find as the full vinyl top 73 SEs were halo style.

the sequence number (i think) puts it as a build in february?  going off of speculation here, but if the number causes it to be a later in the year model (closer to july) do you think it could have been given this type of roof from the factory?  of course this is all speculation without a pic of the fendertag or buildsheet.

Nacho-RT74

thats a custom job and louvers removed, simply that... if you look closelly to the trim corners, they are not even close to the original ones with full vinyl top.

I have seen that kind of trim finish on cars original without vinyl top but added
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: RD on August 09, 2008, 10:50:20 AM
Quote from: Charger1973 on August 09, 2008, 10:45:19 AM

i agree with you there, but the ebay charger has the more traditional style of vinyl top... see my quandry?  if this is an SE and it came with the full vinyl top (like the 74 style special) then this would make it a very rare find as the full vinyl top 73 SEs were halo style.

Hardtop setup on SEs was an option on 73
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

RD

yep i see it now snatcho... the ebay charger trim does not follow the body lines like the special full vinyl top charger that charger1973 posted.  thanks

evil1

Quote from: Charger1973 on August 09, 2008, 09:00:45 AM
A couple pics I had handy of a members car with that roof.  Thats not to say thats what the car in the auction is, just pointing out that the full vinyl roof cars do exist. 

That doesn't look like the same top to me. The one on ebay looks like its lower on the quarter at the back. And it doesnt fit the body lines of the car very well, aftermarket maybe     :shruggy:

never mind Nacho beat me to it