News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How to take off the glove box lock?

Started by Beer, October 20, 2005, 03:23:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beer

Here is what I want to take off

My first thoughts was to put in straight edge screwdrivers ito the slots on the backside of the lock...did not work, then I thought maybe the chrome peice was treaded on to the lock, the chrome piece spins freely...

Pics of the backside

1973 Dodge Charger 402 Stroker Smallblock 414 HP/ 466 ft/lbs torque,  8 3/4" 3.91 Suregrip rear w/ DR. Diff disk brake conversion, CalTracs single leaf and Rear Suspension, VFN Bulge Hood, Running, needs interior completed, Had to give to Ex-Wife in divorce 2017...

beenaround

beer there is a tumbler you need to depress.look carefully at the latch part for an access hole.once you depress it you need to insert the key to hold it in place.then you can get the cylinder out.it is a pian!

Chryco Psycho

you need to have the lock in the locked position to depress the tumbler that retains the lock

Beer

Thanks, guys

No luck so far...Tryed twessers, flat screwdriver, razor blade (then decided that was a ER stitches trip waiting to happen)...

Have invented a few new curse words...but have not broke anything yet!

Will post pic if I get it, if not I will go to the locksmith when I get past a case of Beer on the project...

Do I need to go in both openings at the same time or is it just one? One opening is Picture 2 and 3
The other opening is 4

Or am I not trying the right part?
1973 Dodge Charger 402 Stroker Smallblock 414 HP/ 466 ft/lbs torque,  8 3/4" 3.91 Suregrip rear w/ DR. Diff disk brake conversion, CalTracs single leaf and Rear Suspension, VFN Bulge Hood, Running, needs interior completed, Had to give to Ex-Wife in divorce 2017...

Beer

$10 and five minutes at a locksmith   :yesnod:

I never woulda got it   :icon_smile_tongue:

And work it like Psycho said.

AKcharger

If It makes anyone feel better I tried that exact procedure on my '70 and '72...gave up on both and just painted around it  :flame:

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on October 20, 2005, 10:43:57 PM
you need to have the lock in the locked position to depress the tumbler that retains the lock

I know this is a VERY OLD THREAD... but link floated recently. Was to say is LOT EASIER lock the cilinder, REMOVE key, then DEPRESS tumbler keping depressed and INSERT KEY again. This will keep housing lock tumbler in position AN ALL KEY TUMBLERS for a while you pull out the key with key in at the same time. You need all the tumblers pressed, not only the housing lock one
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

charger50071

1971 Charger 500 383
1971 Charger RT 440-6
1965 Coronet 500 426 wedge
1960 Phoenix D-500 convertable crossram