News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

300 HP V6 & 420 HP V8 with 23+MPG welcome Camaro!!!!!

Started by 4forty, July 22, 2008, 08:30:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

4forty

Hope Dodge dealers were not planning on marking up new Challengers for much longer....

from autoblog::

You've waited long enough, so let's dispense with the pleasantries and get right down to the hard facts.

Three models - LS, LT, SS
LS and LT come with 3.6L direct-inject V6 (300 hp/273 lb-ft)
SS six-speed manual comes with 6.2L LS3 V8 (422 hp/408 lb-ft)
SS six-speed automatic comes with new 6.2L L99 V8 (400 hp/395 ft-lb) and Active Fuel Management
3.6L DI V6 gets 26 mpg highway
6.2L V8 with automatic gets 23 mpg highway
RS appearance package available on LT and SS (includes HID headlamps with integrated halo rings, spoiler, specific taillamps and 20-inch wheels)
Front and rear independent suspension
FE2 suspension for LS and LT, sportier FE3 for SS
Four-wheel disc ABS standard, SS gets four-piston Brembo calipers
SS model gets adjustable Competitive/Sport mode for stability control and Launch Control on manual models
Available 18-,19- and 20-inch wheels

skip68

SWEET!!!!! :yesnod: :drool5: I want one to go along with my 67' Camaro! :yesnod: Any idea of the price tag? :shruggy:
Mrs.Skip68 ;)
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

4forty

Don't think they announced that yet.. Hopefully Chevy Dealers won't "Mark up" as much as Dodge "Dealers" have done on Challenger SRT

TheGhost

So Chevy FINALLY decided to make it?  Took them long enough.

Still don't want one.
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.  Especially if they have access to the internet.

BigBlackDodge

Quote from: 4forty on July 22, 2008, 01:24:51 PM
Don't think they announced that yet.. Hopefully Chevy Dealers won't "Mark up" as much as Dodge "Dealers" have done on Challenger SRT

I bet they do just that.................... :yesnod:

BBD

jeryst

Quote from: BigBlackDodge on July 22, 2008, 04:41:14 PM

I bet they do just that.................... :yesnod:

BBD

Just depends on how many they make.

Mike DC

The new CAFE regs are gonna put both these cars out of production about as fast as the original Challenger.  Better get one while you still can. 

rt green

spose they sat back and saw what they had to do to top everybody?
third string oil changer

Mike DC

No, I think the motor in this new Camaro had a lot more to do with the Corvette than anything. 

Imagine if the new Chally's V8 was rooted in a motor that Mopar had also been perfecting in the Viper for the last 15 years.

Plumcrazy

We sold ours for window sticker.  :angel:

It's not a midlife crisis, it's my second adolescence.

68rt

Quote from: TheGhost on July 22, 2008, 02:41:23 PM
So Chevy FINALLY decided to make it?  Took them long enough.

Still don't want one.
:flush: :iagree: :icon_smile_dead:

Khyron

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on July 22, 2008, 07:59:53 PM
The new CAFE regs are gonna put both these cars out of production about as fast as the original Challenger.  Better get one while you still can. 

I would agree if it wasn't for the long run of the Viper.

Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

Mike DC

Yeah, but Congress has already passed a huge rolling progressively-tighter CAFE increase in the next 15 years.  We're not just talking about the threat  of a possible CAFE increase anymore.  This is a done deal. 

The Viper is a niche market car.  A tiny # of cars sold, and all of them to people with no money issues.  This car has nothing to do with practicality.  (Hell, I've heard that the Viper's factory wheel alignment settings are tuned to eat a thousand dollars' worth of tires almost as fast as oil changes.  It gives a slight handling benefit.)

The Chally has to be realistically economical for a middle-class person to feed.  And more importantly, it will be made in tens of thousands.  That's a gigantic CAFE-ratings impact compared to a small number of Vipers.  Its HP and torque will get completely neutered in the coming years pretty quickly. 

Khyron

Makes sense, but with the lower version of the Chally I don't see an issue. I guess the concern would be the SRT-8 and high end models.

Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

Silver R/T

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

jeryst

The CAFE standards are an average for the company, and not applied individually to each car model. There will probably be a lot of the 6-cyl Challengers sold, and a much smaller number of hemi cars, since the hemi cars are twice as much, so it should balance out.

Chrysler really needs to come out with an electric vehicle, like the Volt. Electric vehicles and hybrids will lower the company average, allowing higher performance cars, like the Camaro, to be produced.

Mike DC

I don't think you guys appreciate the magnitude of the new CAFE standards. 

This isn't just a threat to the V8 models.  By the time the new regs gradually phase in over the next decade or so, anything over a 3000-pound 4-banger is probably gonna be in the "guzzler" half of the fleet.  The Chally will probably be gone even as a feasible bodystyle for a decent V6, let alone that SRT 6.1L motor.