News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Big Mopar Event-Amarillo, Texas

Started by TexasStroker, July 17, 2008, 10:31:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TexasStroker

I am really wanting to know...

If Amarillo were to have a 3 day MoStravaganza, who would be willing to show up?  I know most of the "big" shows are still on the east or west coast, but with gas prices like they are it is getting increasingly difficult for someone in say, Santa Monica, to head off to the NE for shows/races and similarly for a guy on the eastern seaboard to head off to Vegas or the pacific northwest.  Amarillo would certainly save some time/gas/money for everyone  :yesnod:

Here is the upside...We are on Route 66.  We have a ridiculous number of hotles, (yes, even ridiculous numbers of new hotels).  We have a drag strip with a storied history.  We have a drive in movie theatre that is still functioning.  We have long, flat roads (not suggesting anything, just letting it be known  :coolgleamA:).  You could cruise downtown, across town, the countryside, or even down to Palo Duro Canyon.  There are several venues/locations that can house a large car show.  We have tons of restraunts, good food, and shopping.  The roads are good, the weather isn't too bad, and people love cars.

I was thinking something along the lines of a small gtg Friday night (nothing too major if you came in late or early Sat morning).  Saturday I'd like to do an early morning car show and then maybe cruise down to Palo Duro Canyon where we could have someone cater BBQ.  Haven't gotten to look into the potential, but there is a chance we could have a car show in the canyon.  Trust me, you'd like the pics you could get of your Charger here  :icon_smile_big:

Sunday we could have a cruise to the strip where you could race or spectate and maybe even talk the owners into allowing the non-racers to have a swap-meet of sorts. 

This is all up in the air right now, nothing is set in stone...I am just wanting to test the waters and see who would be interested.  I would like to see this event grow and draw guys and gals from across the nation.  I'd be very content to start off regionally (TX, OK, KS, NM, CO, AR) etc and if everyone has a good time let word spread and begin pulling guys down from farther out.

Amarillo would provide a new venue and sights for everyone and maybe more importantly as of now, could save you're pocket book some cash.  Speaking on behalf of Amarillo Area Mopars we would love to see this materialize and grow.

So please, let me know if you would be interested, if you could justify coming and feel free to suggest any ideas.  I'll consider anything and if enough ple want to see it happen, I will do my best to make it a reality.

All I'm looking to do is have a good time with good people and good Mopars  :cheers:
Founder, Amarillo Area Mopars
www.amarilloareamopars.com
Founder, Lone Star Mopars
www.lonestarmopars.com
Will set-up a regional Charger meet
Contact me for info!

Charger74

I think that would be a pretty nice deal.  I agree, you might be able to get more people from both coast to show up, but I will let someone more experience in the show circuit comment.  For me in Iowa, it would be probably a bit closer to go it not pretty close to equal distances.

Oh, hey if you got any pictures of that canyon, post up.  It might help with the decision.....   :2thumbs:

charge69

What time of the year are you wanting to do this?  Sounds like a prety good idea and could be a nice draw for cars from a wide area.

TexasStroker

I haven't really picked an exact time...We have nice temps in the spring, but also chances of hail...I'm not a fan of hail...

Summer is usually predictable enough to schedule something, it can be hot though.

I am kind of leaning towards the fall...nice weather, less chance of any severe weather...and most importantly a less busy show circuit.

That is my main thing, I don't want this to conflict with another Mopar show.  I'd like to set it up on a down weekend, and thus allow as many people as possible to attend and hopefully have a great time...Then they could have it be an annual trip  :2thumbs:

Palo Duro Canyon is very nice...It is often dubbed "the mini Grand Canyon" I'll post the website and a few shots I snapped the other day...
www.lonestarmopars.com
Contact me for info!

TexasStroker

Here is the official website for Palo Duro Canyon

http://www.palodurocanyon.com/

I've got some pics from just a few weeks go on my home computer...I'll get them up later tonight!
www.lonestarmopars.com
Contact me for info!

GreenMachine

Quote from: Charger74 on July 17, 2008, 10:57:41 AM

Oh, hey if you got any pictures of that canyon, post up.  It might help with the decision.....   :2thumbs:

I'd like to see some of your pics of the cayon as well. I used to live close to there in Dumas as a teenager, but never made it down to the canyon. All I've seen of it are from old Westerns. I live in Oklahoma City now and would probably go if it was a big enough event. OKC to Amarillo is a very dull boring drive, but driving the Charger makes it better.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is.

TexasStroker

Quote from: GreenMachine on July 17, 2008, 12:19:24 PM
Quote from: Charger74 on July 17, 2008, 10:57:41 AM

I'd like to see some of your pics of the cayon as well. I used to live close to there in Dumas as a teenager, but never made it down to the canyon. All I've seen of it are from old Westerns. I live in Oklahoma City now and would probably go if it was a big enough event. OKC to Amarillo is a very dull boring drive, but driving the Charger makes it better.

My pics are by no means super or all encompassing, lol...but they are pics...Just took them as we wheeled my nephew thru on the 4th of July.

Too bad you arent' still in Dumas...for the size of the town it has to rank in the top 1% for scary fast cars!  We've got a few members from the Mopar club up there!

Hopefully you can make the drive if this all gets lined up, the Charger would definitely make it more exciting  :2thumbs:
www.lonestarmopars.com
Contact me for info!

HKCharger

TexasStroker

www.lonestarmopars.com
Contact me for info!

TexasStroker

Cut me some slack on the pics...I never knew I'd be using them as PR material, lol...They were from the 4th of July...We ran down there after the parade/car show and then took off for the fireworks...

This by no means is encompassing of the canyon or everything it has to offer...If you are a fan of hiking or mountain biking or even just searching for artifacts you'd love it:

View down into canyon

Clouds in the skyline...casting shadows over the canyon

A shot thru the canyon...you are looking out a LONG way

Another angle:
www.lonestarmopars.com
Contact me for info!

TexasStroker

Now some shots from deep in the canyon...

Here is one of the many marked hiking trails:

A shot of the terrain:

There is much more to offer...I have no pics of the caves, sad monkey, or light house...The "sad monkey" is on a cliff's edge, I only recently convinced myself it looks like a monkey...The lighthouse isn't as hard to argue with, lol...About a 4.5 mile hike out to it if I remember correctly.

There really is something for everyone down there...Especially if we had a couple hundred Mopars swing thru  :icon_smile_cool:
www.lonestarmopars.com
Contact me for info!

TexasStroker

www.lonestarmopars.com