News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Will the fuel tank from a 73 be too heavy to do by yourself?

Started by WH23G3G, July 19, 2008, 11:54:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WH23G3G

I don't think there is but about 1 gallon of gas in my tank. And it's all crystalized, so there's no liquid flowing in there. I've got everything disconnected and the filler neck off. I just need to drop the straps. Is it going to kill me when I lower it? Of course I'll ease it down with a jack, but is it really heavy like the center chunk or the transmission.

Ghoste

71charger_fan

Fuel tanks don't weigh much. However, when you release it, it'll want to drop back end first. If there is any liquid in there, it'll come flying out the filler hole. I had a brown spot in my lawn for years from a tank I thought was empty.

flyinlow

I just changed the sender in my 73 . Tank is only 10-15 pounds empty. Gas is about 8 lbs a gallon. There is one fuel line,the sender wire ,a ground strap, and four lines to the vent box above the tank to disconect You can do it be yourself if empty. If reusing the old tank work on it in a well ventilated area. Use a brass punch and hammer to loosen the sender lock ring if you have one.  No sparks.

Charger1973

Mike DC

A gallon of liquid is usually only about 6-7 pounds. 

It'll be a bigger problem with it sloshing when you lower it. 

I did mine that way on a floor jack, and even though I had it centered under the tank I spilled a bunch because it sloshed sideways.  BUt I also must've had 5-8 gallons of gas still in it at the time.  I wouldn't worry about one. 

BTW:  Have you guys ever tried to get any place to accept old gasoline for disposal?  I couldn't find ANYWHERE that would take it from me.

WH23G3G

Well I'm going to have to do it quick. Because it stinks bad with the filler neck off. Is it safe to go ahead and throw it away? I'm getting the Spectra CR10B fuel tank I looked at it at the nationals one year, and it looked dead on. It appears the gas in my old tank has crystalized and it stinks bad. I've got to get it out and throw the tank out quick. It's in my garage, its not able to be moved right now.

mikesbbody

Quote from: Charger1973 on July 20, 2008, 10:37:58 AM
:iagree:

The tank is not heavy at all. 

I removed mine off my 72 with no jack no problem but i guess the amount of gas in the tank is something to consider.

bull

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on July 20, 2008, 01:49:04 PM
BTW:  Have you guys ever tried to get any place to accept old gasoline for disposal?  I couldn't find ANYWHERE that would take it from me.

Here in the Portland area there's a regional govt. agency that accepts several forms of hazardous waste products. I took my dented original gas tank to them with maybe 3-4 gallons of bad gas in it and they accepted it with no charge.

http://www.oregonmetro.gov/index.cfm/go/by.web/id=24267

Beyond that I would imagine you could contact the EPA which could direct you to a local contact designed to deal with hazardous waste disposal.

71charger_fan

"I couldn't find ANYWHERE that would take it from me."

I have an old baking pan in the garage. I just put it on a couple of cement blocks, pour old gas/heating oil/whatever into it, and burn it off. Fortunately, I've never had to dispose of more than about a pint and a half or so.

WH23G3G

Where can I find a 9/16" socket deep enough to get on the U-bolt nuts to remove the straps? I can't even get a wrench on there because the nuts are pushed into the tank too close. I have a 1/2" drive deep socket and it comes way short of even reaching the nut. Also what do I need to do with the vapor separator? I want to use it, but how should I go about refinishing it or should I. What kinda clamps would be on the vapor hoses?

Charger1973

You can buy new bolts for the straps.  I never have any luck getting them off if they have never been loose before, its easier to just cut them...

WH23G3G

These bolts don't look rusted at all. It looks like when the guy painted the car before me, the paint saved the u-bolts from rusting. He got just a thin enough coating on them, even to keep them from getting surface rust. If I could find a deep enough socket I could get them off. Is there a special kind of deep 9/16" socket I can get from anywhere?

john108

The Gas Tank off my '68 Charger. 

WH23G3G

Well I got the old fuel tank out. It wasn't too bad. There was about a gallon of gas in the tank and I didn't spill any. I put into a gas container and will use a little of it at a time in my mower. Where can I get the hose and hose clamps for the vapor separtor? The old one had some kinda special hose clamps on it. Should I bead blast the vapor separator or just clean it?

WH23G3G

I've been fumbling with the new gas tank for over 3 hours and cannot get it up and strapped in. I cleaned the vapor canister and put new hoses on. But when I lift up the tank that's not getting in the way. It's like the flanges on the edge of the new tank are so sharp the tank straps won't come all the way enough forward to hook the j-studs in. I hope I don't have to buy new tank straps. Some longer j-hooks would work, but these have a rounded in where it hooks into the body and I've never seen those. Of course I have no one helping me as usual, I'm going to have to install the fuel tank myself. I got frustrated bad and broke a stool and put in hole in the wall in my garage so I had to stop. It's totally worn me out of energy and I didn't even get it in. It's hard to hold the tank and pull the straps at the same time. And even with a block of wood and a jack it starts denting the tank. Whats the best way to get this thing in there before I break anything else in my garage?