News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

My first Charger project ***Video***

Started by Belgium R/T -68, July 17, 2008, 05:37:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Belgium R/T -68

Preparationwork continues. Cleaned up the vacuumactuators and sanded off the old black paint, tomorrow they will be painted in natural cast silver.
The headligt doorhouses got cleaned up and repaired since I had some small cracks in them, then sanding and finally painting.

Per
Charger -68 R/T 500 cui Stroker

Belgium R/T -68

The frame is ready except for a layer of flat clearcoat since it's a big risc of getting scratches in that place when working in the enginebay and spraycanpaint
isn't as strong as normal paint according to my opinion. The doorhouses and centergrille has been sanded and painted black, the silverpart I sanded with 1000 grit
at the finish. I did the black first because I don't want to put maskingtape on the silverpaint once it's there.

Per

b5blue

I wonder how the factory "did" this part?  :shruggy: Some kind of masking machine?

Silver R/T

possibly a mold that went over/inside each fin and then got blasted with silver real quick
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

lexxman

Quote from: Silver R/T on February 07, 2010, 02:15:25 PM
possibly a mold that went over/inside each fin and then got blasted with silver real quick
Ya,or some kind of roller systems.Or the just had a line of guys masking it all off.It's looking good Per.

mopar_nut_440_6

Is the steel grille frame supposed to be satin black or gloss black? I have seen them both ways!
1968 Charger R/T 440 
2004 Dodge Ram 2500 680 HP Cummins with attitude

lexxman

How's the grille coming any way? Can't wait to see it on the car.

Belgium R/T -68

After a lot of sanding, painting, sanding again because of wrong colour or other problems I'm finally ready with the grille. I have followed one source of colour-
matching since there are different opinions on what's right and what's not. Anyway, the grille together with the vinyltop was something that I really feared for before
doing it but with a lot of patience and good advices from the database here on the forum it's not that scary at all. New parts used are the moldingset from Gunslinger,
wireharness with vacuumlines, emblems and all new bolts, nuts and clips from r/t specialties. I just hanged it up now on the car so I still have to do the alignment.
My charger starts to look like a -68 charger should look like. :icon_smile_big:

Per

Belgium R/T -68

Here's some moore.

Belgium R/T -68

And some moore....

charger_cody

Lookin good Per!!!!  :cheers:

I can see it now, you roaring down the street and the ladies are gonna jump ALL over you.  :smilielol:

Cody

jb666

mikepmcs

Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

FLG

Nice Per!!

Do you mind coming to the states to do mine when the time coems??  :rofl:

lexxman

That is looking really nice.When do you think you'll do the first drive? :laugh:

Back N Black

Great job! that's what i like about doing your own restoration, its done to your standards and you can take pride in your work.  :2thumbs: 

ionracer24

hey per, nice color!  i did notice that u missed some spots on the undercarriage,  i'm not critiquing your work or anything but you might wanna cover that up before u hit the roads!! i'd hate for u to have take that beautiful car off the road just to do under carriage work   :2thumbs:
Real race cars have three pedals......

moparstuart

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Belgium R/T -68

Thanks guys :cheers:

FLG: Would love to come and help you with your car, been a dream for 30 years to see The USA. :icon_smile_big:

lexxman: I hope to be able to do first small testdrive not later then 2 weeks from now. :2thumbs:

Ionracer24: I will fix the paintwork on the undercarriage when my subframeconnectors are welded in. I don't know about others who restores their cars but I will
have a lot of work even after the car is "finnished". Bolts that have to be changed because they are not correct, electrical problems, noice and other things that will
pop up once I start to drive it. :yesnod:

Per

Belgium R/T -68

Aligned the grille today  and started with the front bumper but there I need a hand to get that one in the right position since it requier adjusting the big brackets.
Then it's time for the front valancepanel which will be rather tricky I guess since it was just hanging there with some electrical wires so finding the right mountingpoints
will be a puzzle. New parkinglights are installed since the old ones were painted in a very bad way and couldn't be saved.

Per

charger_cody

Lookin good Per!!! We need a burnout video or pic asap. :cheers:

Cody

six-tee-nine

:2thumbs: :2thumbs:

Top job my buddy......
I think you'll be ready just in time for the springtime to get her out of the garage   
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

Chargerrtforme

What did you use for grille color?  It looks real good. Great detail job.

Matthan

twodko

Hi Per,

Your grille turned out very well. Good job buddy! 68 grilles seem easier to restore than a 69. I applied the final coat of satin clear on my headlight doors this weekend and have most of the grille masked off. Tedious to say the least but well worth it. I hope mine turns out as well as yours did. It's a pleasure reading your threads Per. Cheers!

Tom
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!