News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Car just quit on me

Started by DodgeDEnise, May 25, 2008, 11:46:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DodgeDEnise

Hey there - I have had absolutely no problems whatsoever with my 440 magnum engine - runs great.  But...today after a couple of stops, I shut it off and when I went to start it again it had nothing - no sound, no power at all.  I checked under the hood and checked my battery terminals, ignition wires, couple of other wires under there that I thought might be the problem and it was ok again and started up.  Next stop same thing.  Again, poked around under the hood and it started again.  After driving for about five minutes it quit on me again.  What could be the problem all of a sudden?  Something shake loose?  Everything looked ok but I can't figure out what's going on.  Any suggestions where to start troubleshooting?

Kevin68N71

Check where your ignition wire goes through the block in the firewall.

Check your ignition switch for a short.

Vibrations and movement will disconnect a feeble connection.  Jiggle things around while the car is running, using obvious cautions.
Do I have the last, operational Popcar Spacemobile?

DodgeDEnise

It's a starting point - thanks

royt440

No power as in no lights, no key or door buzzer, etc.?  Check your ground wire to the battery.

resq302

If you have no power at all ANYWHERE, check the fuseable link on the firewall and the starter relay.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

RD

Quote from: resq302 on May 26, 2008, 07:14:47 AM
If you have no power at all ANYWHERE, check the fuseable link on the firewall and the starter relay.

or your ignition coil has gone south... when they start going bad, they heat up intensely and liquify to a point where they no longer conduct electricity.  after they cool down, however, they solidify again and your vehicle will run... that is, until they heat up again.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

Charger1973

If none of that other stuff works maybe look at the parts on the firewall.  (ballast resistor, regulator, ignition box).  They are not expensive and its not a bad idea to keep spares of these in the trunk anyway...

GreenMachine

Sounds to me like maybe the starter relay. Mine would work intermittantly, and when it wouldn't, I'd get a jumper wire and start it manually because I was too lazy to go and get a new one.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is.

Charger74SE

If you have an electronic ignition system and your starter is working fine than I would look at (ecm, ballast resistor, or ignition coil). I always keep a spare of each. Had an ecm module do the same thing years ago.

2012 Charger SE
1974 Charger SE
USAF and A&P mechanic retired.

UFO

[quote Something shake loose?

Check the firewall/bulkhead terminals carefully.A friends car was idling in the driveway when it just quit.Problem was bulkhead connections.

DodgeDEnise

Hey there - thanks to all of you for the suggestions.  I wrote them all down and went out there and started going through them in order.  I cleaned up the terminals and contacts on the battery first and then I took off the ground wire to the engine and cleaned it up and put it back on.  I check the other wires and then I stopped there and tested it.  It started no problem and I have been driving and starting and stopping without incident.  I am going to stop there for now because it seems to have done the trick.  I am going to look into the firewall and bulkhead connections next but from what I hear I should be getting a spare ballast resistor and looking at the ignition box.  If it acts up again then at least I have narrowed it down. 
Thanks again for all the help - there's nothing like going to the "source" for advice. 

elanmars

Quote from: RD on May 26, 2008, 02:45:09 PM
Quote from: resq302 on May 26, 2008, 07:14:47 AM

or your ignition coil has gone south... when they start going bad, they heat up intensely and liquify to a point where they no longer conduct electricity.  after they cool down, however, they solidify again and your vehicle will run... that is, until they heat up again.

ok, is this something that's easy to change and I can go to any parts store to get a replacement? i need help on this, i'm completely a newbie to this.
1969 Dodge Charger, pseudo General Lee., 1973 ratty Dodge Charger.

check out my photography: http://www.tomasraul.com
instagram: tomasraul
facebook: www.facebook.com/tomasraulphotography

FLG

elanmars,

Very easy job to change the ignition coil, and if your doing spark plugs and wires its a good idea to also change the coil. The coil is either sitting on top of your intake or sometimes somwhere down the line someone moved it to your  passenger side fender. Pull off the wire going from the coil to your distributor cap, unbolt the 2 wires going to the coil (remember which one is positive and which is negative) and simply install the wires on the new coil and connect the coil wire going to the distributor.

craigandlynda

if you get no power AT ALL, as in no radio, no lights, no NOTHING, start at the battery, wiggling connections, checking grounding, etc...if still nothing, put bulb or other small load across battery to make sure there is battery current...

if this is an intermittant problem, another possibility, in addition to all those listed above, is a battery with a bad internal part, such as a loose pole in the case...

dontcha love electrical problems? :eek2:

elanmars

thanks guys, it was a pretty easy thing to do (ignition coil)...

BUT the problem persists, I can start the car, I can get it going but it will only turn on when cold.

so I'm guessing it's the starter that needs to be changed. And from what I gather, that's not too complicated to do either?

I just need to find more support than just a jack if I'm going to get down there.

FLG

Elan,

Might be good to start your own thread so you can get a bit more exposure. What do you mean wont turn on? Will it crank? If it cranks your starter is not the issue. Also its never advisable to go under a vehicle without jack stands supporting it. I prefer to use the larger 5 ton stands as they are VERY sturdy. If you absolutely NEED to get under a vehicle with just a jack always put something underneath...if your removing a wheel put that, if your not then grab the spare and shove that under. At least it will give you a bit of security, just in case. Another thing, get a good quality jack.

Edit: oops Noticed you have a thread going already.

elanmars

it only starts when cold-i'll drive it, get it hot and then i'll shut it off-then it won't start for ANYTHING. pretty similar to what the thread originator had said.

the cables are all fine, i put my replacement resistor and changed the ignition coil.

it still just will only turn on when cold. i do have power though, so it's not the battery. i just don't know and i wish i had someone close by that could help me out. it's just a little frustrating wanting to learn but not having people around to tell me, i learn better by being shown.

it's allright, i'm going to be stubborn about this and not take it to a shop, i'm not going to learn otherwise.

FLG

A good idea would be to buy the shop manuals for the car. They come in handy in a ton of situations and will give you step by step instructions for doing repair work. Along with troubleshooting.

Going by your other thread it looks to be the starter. Very simple job, just 2 bolts and the cables. Just take your time and follow either the books if you get one, or the directions of the people on the forum.

elanmars

i have the '73 ones but my problem is being car work illiterate. i wish there was an "idiots" version.
I'll make it work somehow though, it'll make sense once i get down there and play around.

FLG

You will be fine. Its not hard at all, heck even a complete novice with some brains, patience, and a bit of common sense can do just about anything with these cars if he/she researches things or just follows directions.