News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

So, what is my '71 SE worth...

Started by JPL, June 30, 2008, 08:45:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JPL

So, what is my '71 SE  worth, if I were to put a price on it?
I was thing of trading it for a 68-70, but if that doesn't pan out I would like to get your guys real world experience to come up with a realistic price,
here are pics and write up:

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php?topic=45745.0

Thanks all!
JPL

hutch

Quote from: JPL on June 30, 2008, 08:45:52 AM
I was thing of trading it for a 68-70, but if that doesn't pan out I would like to get your guys real world experience to come up with a realistic price,

Thanks all!
JPL

Dude, keep it. 
In the words of Colonel Sanders,,,   "I'm too drunk,,, to taste this chicken"

JPL

Quote from: hutch on June 30, 2008, 10:10:20 AM
Quote from: JPL on June 30, 2008, 08:45:52 AM

Thanks all!
JPL

Dude, keep it. 

That's a definite maybe! ;)

hutch

its a great car from all the photos I have seen you post of it.  If you own it outright, why get rid of it.   The grass is not always greener you know.  I have kicked myself over a few cars or guns ect, I wish I never would I sold looking back on it. 

If you love it and its paid for. Keep it dude.  The price is just going to keep going up.
:Twocents:

JPL

Quote from: hutch on June 30, 2008, 05:02:01 PM
its a great car from all the photos I have seen you post of it.  If you own it outright, why get rid of it.   The grass is not always greener you know.  I have kicked myself over a few cars or guns ect, I wish I never would I sold looking back on it. 

If you love it and its paid for. Keep it dude.  The price is just going to keep going up.
:Twocents:

Yeah, it's not so much a money thing, it cost me $700.00 in '85 from the oringinal owner, and it was done in stages, one year the paint, the next year the engine, then rims/tires,then the  interrior, etc. I always wanted one of these, and a 68, 69, or 70, so I had the gen3 for 23 years, just in the mood for something else, however, if someone wants to sell me a stock, rust free gen2 for under 5k Ill have both! :yesnod:

carolina charger

quote- "if someone wants to sell me a stock, rust free gen2 for under 50k"   I might be able to help you there, I'd hate to sell mine, but money talks.  ;)

JPL

If I had 50k for a car I would definitly keep 71 and probably get a couple of others whileI was at it! :cheers:

konigcharger

well to answer your actual question, it is very hard to determine the value of custom cars as there is little to compare it to.also a buyer must have the same taste as the builder. but it is true they rarely bring as much money as has been put into them.  if its not to intrusive can i ask approx. what you have into the car?
:think:
considering all factors best guess 10-12k Some will disagree but but the market especially for third gens is way down :Twocents:

If you have no vision or creative spirit, you can always fall back on the way the factory did it.

hutch

Quote from: konigcharger on June 30, 2008, 10:07:19 PM
well to answer your actual question, it is very hard to determine the value of custom cars as there is little to compare it to.also a buyer must have the same taste as the builder. but it is true they rarely bring as much money as has been put into them.  if its not to intrusive can i ask approx. what you have into the car?
considering all factors best guess 10-12k Some will disagree but but the market especially for third gens is way down :Twocents:

I think you could pull 10 to 12 for it but it will take a few months on some web sites.  I would never sell a car on Ebay without setting a reserve of a price you want.  But back to what I said.  DONT SELL IT, in 20 years you are going to kick yourself hard boy if you sell that sled.

JPL

Well, I think it is all relative, I've seen custom cars w/ 50-60k into them selling for 15-20k, I've also seen survivor cars w/ 5k into them selling for 40-50k. I do have to admit your estimate is on the lower side of what people have been telling me, most guesses have come in around 25-35k, considering that there were 14,641 SE produced and I'm only the second owner, and with this car you actually get the best of both worlds, you could leave it the way it is, with all the custom work and top notch parts ie 906 heads, six pack rods, 1971 440 hp block, steel crank,  489 posi rear w/ 4:30 gears, custom chrome pieces, seats, blab la bla, or with a little time it can be returned to almost factory specs because I still have all the original parts that came off the car, a whole second complete original drive train,  383 motor, trans, rear diff, seats, rims, radio, a/c unit, luggage rack, all unrestored, so whoever gets the parts can freshen them up anyway they want.
And the reason I say almost factory is because I do not have the original carpet, and the original gas tank developed pin holes even though it was sanded and painted body color w/ chrome straps, (that's one reason I went with the fuel cell), the headliner and half the door panels were dyed, and with the spring relocation kit the wheel wells were stretched and the frame cut, which I believe can be reversed.
I also believe that a car is worth whatever someone will pay for it, I've seen certain guide lines that can determine the price of a stock car closer than a custom car, and I also believe that this car is not for everyone, but I think its right for some. I'm thinking maybe someone with a gen2 that either is having a hard time finding the right person for their car, or just would rather it go to a good home rather that a used car lot and end up who knows where, and was thinking of getting into a gen3 without any stories. Or just someone was just looking for a clean '71, either/or it's still not an easy decision for me, it's been with me for the last 23 years, so if this doesn't pan out that's o.k. too.  Maybe I'll get lucky and find an inexpensive stock gen2 (not holding my breath) and be able to have both.

challenger70

:iagree: 3rd gen + 383 2bbl.  It may be worth a lot to you because you have had it so long but to buyers it's another 383 2bbl car.  I am not a big fan of 3rd gens but that is a sharp car, keep it and enjoy it sooner or later you will regret selling it.
'68 383 A833 QQ1 Charger
'70  440 727 FY1 Challenger

JPL

383 2bbl was the original, Currently the drivetrain is a '71 440, 30 over, six pack rods, virgin 906 heads, 268/454 lift cam (that's the motor in the pic),

quote " I still have all the original parts that came off the car, a whole second complete original drive train,  383 motor, trans, rear diff, seats, rims ect..."

so actually you would get 2 complete motors, two tranny's, two rear diffs, two sets of rims, two sets of bucket seats so on and so on......
oh yeah, one more thing, almost forgot,  one (1) '71 Charger SE. :smilielol:

nakita7

A no reserve auction on Ebay will tell you exactly what it's worth.  :Twocents:

konigcharger

I took all of that into consideration. i'm not trying to bash your car. you made it how you wanted and i think thats great, but that doesn't exactly turn into dollars and cents when you go to sell. i gave you an accurate summation of what i belive the "real world value" of the car is based on simmilar sold cars and projects. cross referenced with the value of added parts. but this is obviously just a baseline, could go up or down from there. now is a bad time to sell a third gen. two years ago i would have said it was worth <15k. now i hate to burst your bubble but the idea that its worth 25-30k is dreaming 440 4speed R/T's are going for that money. even at 12k i think you would sit on the car far quite some time. :Twocents:

its only worth what someone is willing to actually pay you for it.

If you have no vision or creative spirit, you can always fall back on the way the factory did it.

konigcharger

Quote from: nakita7 on July 01, 2008, 12:06:40 PM
A no reserve auction on Ebay will tell you exactly what it's worth.  :Twocents:

:iagree:

JPL

You might be right, and if that's the case I'll wait or keep the 71 and just buy a 68-70, but there are multiple ads on line like the ones I just found:

1971 DODGE CHARGER R/T
Price: $35,000.00
Seller:
View Details 

1971 DODGE CHARGER
Price: $24,318.00
Seller: Valenti Classics Inc.
View Details

and when you said "its only worth what someone is willing to actually pay you for it." that's what I said in the 10th post,

and I'm not saying using ebay to price a car is bad, I just think that that's on one end of the spectrum, just like Barrett Jackson is on the other.

hemi-hampton

Your comparisons are for a R/T & from a Car Dealer. Not the same as your car. R/T's always worth more then a SE & Car Dealers are always way overpriced. :Twocents: :shruggy:

JPL

Whelp, I thought about, took the car out, lit up those Mickey T's, and, you guys were right, I'm keeping it!
I put an ad in the wanted section here for a 68, 69, 70, keeping my fingers crossed, and maybe I'll get lucky and end up with two.  :2thumbs: