News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

SIX PACK HEMI!!!

Started by WingCharger, July 13, 2008, 03:35:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WingCharger

I was at a small cruise in last night, and started talking to an older guy, he had a pretty rough 70 six pack Charger, and was talking to some people about it. Well, I started talking to him about six packs, and he said that back in 69, Chrysler experimented with a six pack Hemi! I almost laughed! :smilielol: Apparently, the guy used to work as a maintence guy at a Chrysler dealership.

But, he started going in depth about it, numbers, specs, etc. I actually started to believe it. Anybody else ever heard of this??? It would definantly be cool to see, if it was true.

I am not sure about it.  :Twocents:

tan top

yep seen a back in the day picture of it  ....  i presume  you mean the 426 Hemi  & not the  hemi  straight six  from Oz . it was talked about in a mopar mag by Tom Hoover ....  can't think which one but it was in  but  it was a good few years a go  :scratchchin:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

72chargerSE

Had one in our basement in 1980. It's a long story, but it does still exist in a private collection.

Dodge Don

konigcharger

don't be too quick to judge... ma did some crazy shite

:o

If you have no vision or creative spirit, you can always fall back on the way the factory did it.

IowaCharger69

A gentleman that used to live in Story City IA, whom now resides in Des Moines, owns a prototype manifold. He is a proud member and vice president of Mopars Unlimited. He worked for Chrysler as a Racing Division engineer. He was working on the manifold in 1969. Testing it on his 1968 Hemi Charger that he still owns and drives. He left Chrysler in 1972-ish, but only after getting the employee discount on three Hemi cars! He still owns them all.

The really exist, but real ones are few and far in between and if you can prove it, are probably worth a MINT.

max

there is actually some talk about MP releasing that intake in a year or two.

just something else i'll have to end up buying. :eyes:

firefighter3931

Quote from: konigcharger on July 13, 2008, 09:36:55 PM

Isn't Layson's repopping those ?  :icon_smile_big:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

max

Quote from: firefighter3931 on July 14, 2008, 12:01:55 AM

Ron

:smilielol:  i doubt they will be repopping anything unless it's a scary shower scene in the local jail. i guess that's why they call it the pokey.

kab69440

What possible advantages could the 3x2 carb setup have over the 2x4?  I guess I just see it as if some is good, more is better.
Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not;  a sense of humor to console him for what he is.      Francis Bacon

WANT TO BUY:
Looking for a CD by  'The Sub-Mersians'  entitled "Raw Love Songs From My Garage To Your Bedroom"

Also, any of the various surf-revival compilation albums this band has contributed to.
Thank you,    Kenny

Jesus drove a Honda. He wasn't proud of it, though...
John 12: 49     "...for I did not speak of my own Accord."

Drache

Quote from: kab69440 on July 14, 2008, 12:14:05 AM
What possible advantages could the 3x2 carb setup have over the 2x4?  I guess I just see it as if some is good, more is better.

Yeah why didn't they invent it for 3x 4-bbl carbs?  :icon_smile_big:
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

kab69440

Quote from: Drache on July 14, 2008, 12:20:41 AM

That's thinking like a true Mopar man! Give that boy a see-gar!
Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not;  a sense of humor to console him for what he is.      Francis Bacon

WANT TO BUY:
Looking for a CD by  'The Sub-Mersians'  entitled "Raw Love Songs From My Garage To Your Bedroom"

Also, any of the various surf-revival compilation albums this band has contributed to.
Thank you,    Kenny

Jesus drove a Honda. He wasn't proud of it, though...
John 12: 49     "...for I did not speak of my own Accord."

Mike DC

I know a guy who ordered one of those tri-carb 440 Hemi setups new back in the day.  He got the only one ever built before they discontinued it.  It came new in his '68 Challenger R/T.  The car was also built with a top-loader 4spd and a posi rear end. 

WingCharger

Quote from: konigcharger on July 13, 2008, 09:36:55 PM

DAMN!! Where can I get that manifold!?!? That would make guys around here at small shows shit! THAT IS AWESOME!

Any ideas on horespower ratings and torque?

72chargerSE

Quote from: IowaCharger69 on July 13, 2008, 10:34:35 PM
A gentleman that used to live in Story City IA, whom now resides in Des Moines, owns a prototype manifold. He is a proud member and vice president of Mopars Unlimited. He worked for Chrysler as a Racing Division engineer. He was working on the manifold in 1969. Testing it on his 1968 Hemi Charger that he still owns and drives. He left Chrysler in 1972-ish, but only after getting the employee discount on three Hemi cars! He still owns them all.

The really exist, but real ones are few and far in between and if you can prove it, are probably worth a MINT.

See my earlier quote about the intake in our basement...same intake. Have known Wayne for 40+ years...your facts are way off, but it is true, he does have a 6 pack Hemi intake.

Mike

Charger74

Not sure if he lives here or not, but when I first went to a Car show here in Johnston Iowa, I saw a 70/71 hemi Challenger with a 6 pack.  Got a picture of the motor but stupid me didnt' get the picture of the car.   Heard he was a Chrysler engineer as well.  Wonder if it's the same guy from Story City.

max

although not a Hemi intake but how about a 4x4 intake.

moparstuart

Quote from: max on July 14, 2008, 01:43:31 PM

wow the linkage set up on that sucker must be complicated ?
might run alittle bit rich LOL

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

hutch

Quote from: max on July 14, 2008, 01:43:31 PM

Good God, you would need a 1" hose to keep that thing fed.     :o
In the words of Colonel Sanders,,,   "I'm too drunk,,, to taste this chicken"

Brock Samson

:scratchchin: wouldn't one advantage be the car would run off only one two Bbl. till ya' went WOT,.. then you'd get quite a kick in the kiester?..  :shruggy:

4speed

Quote from: max on July 14, 2008, 12:10:11 AM
Quote from: firefighter3931 on July 14, 2008, 12:01:55 AM

Ron

:smilielol:  i doubt they will be repopping anything unless it's a scary shower scene in the local jail. i guess that's why they call it the pokey.
:smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :hah: :hah: :hah:

IowaCharger69

Quote from: Charger74 on July 14, 2008, 11:10:27 AM
Not sure if he lives here or not, but when I first went to a Car show here in Johnston Iowa, I saw a 70/71 hemi Challenger with a 6 pack.  Got a picture of the motor but stupid me didnt' get the picture of the car.   Heard he was a Chrysler engineer as well.  Wonder if it's the same guy from Story City.

Thats the same guy. He runs the intake on all of his Hemi cars.

72chargerSE

Quote from: IowaCharger69 on July 14, 2008, 05:13:54 PM
Quote from: Charger74 on July 14, 2008, 11:10:27 AM

Thats the same guy. He runs the intake on all of his Hemi cars.

Wayne has never had a Hemi Challenger.. he has a Cuda ragtop (original 340 car) and a legit 70 HemiCuda. That's it for E-Bodies.

Mike

IowaCharger69

I have seen the intake on at least two of his cars.

IowaCharger69

Quote from: 72chargerSE on July 14, 2008, 11:03:55 AM
Quote from: IowaCharger69 on July 13, 2008, 10:34:35 PM

See my earlier quote about the intake in our basement...same intake. Have known Wayne for 40+ years...your facts are way off, but it is true, he does have a 6 pack Hemi intake.

Mike

::)

72chargerSE

OK...Just sent you a nice PM, and the eyeroll? I hope I didn't offend, or sound pretentious.

blake68rt

TUFCAT

Wayne's been a close friend to 72ChargerSE's family for over 40 years...and he's extremely humble and quiet about his Hemi's  ;)   I can vouch for whatever Mike shared through PM will be 100% exact, and he's being careful to protect Wayne from the inquiring minds of the web.  :coolgleamA: 

Charger74

NO problem, I can understand.   I wish I would have talked to him though.  I was new to the area at the time so I didn't think about talking to him.   

72chargerSE

If you see him again, strike up a conversation....great guy!!

Mike