News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Pypes 3" X-Pipe with Cutouts

Started by TexasStroker, July 15, 2008, 08:30:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TexasStroker

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail...mp;autoview=sku

Is anyone running one of these set-ups?  I know it is still a fairly new item, but I've been considering picking one up.

I'm just curious as to the fit and finish of this and more importantly if there would be any known clearance issues on a 68-70.

Hopefully someone on has installled and is running one of these...I hate being the test mule  :lol:
Founder, Amarillo Area Mopars
www.amarilloareamopars.com
Founder, Lone Star Mopars
www.lonestarmopars.com
Will set-up a regional Charger meet
Contact me for info!

hutch

fixed the link for you.

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=PYE%2DXVX13&N=700+115&autoview=sku

I run a 3inch with an H-pipe and cutouts that goes down to 2 1/2" just before it goes over the rear axel and it sounds mean as hell but I am not sure if I am hurting myself with 3inch cutouts.  I figure my 440 pushes about 420hp so I might have been better off with the 2 1/2 inch pipe for the correct backpressure when using my cutouts.
In the words of Colonel Sanders,,,   "I'm too drunk,,, to taste this chicken"

TexasStroker

My bad, I copied it from another post I made, must have not gotten it all the way...

Hmm, interesting point...never really thought of that...I wonder what kind of a difference, if any it would make 2.5" w/cut outs open vs 3" w/cut outs open??

I am happy with my current set up: 2.5" H pipe and some dumped race muffs...I am planning on keeping this one handy so I can simply swap back and forth if so desired (I'm very picky about exhaust notes)

Currently I'm just running a mild 440...I was opting for the 3" in preparation for the stroker though  :icon_smile_big:.

You don't have any vid/sound clips do you?

www.lonestarmopars.com
Contact me for info!

hutch

Quote from: TexasStroker on July 15, 2008, 11:30:28 AM
My bad, I copied it from another post I made, must have not gotten it all the way...

Hmm, interesting point...never really thought of that...I wonder what kind of a difference, if any it would make 2.5" w/cut outs open vs 3" w/cut outs open??

I am happy with my current set up: 2.5" H pipe and some dumped race muffs...I am planning on keeping this one handy so I can simply swap back and forth if so desired (I'm very picky about exhaust notes)

Currently I'm just running a mild 440...I was opting for the 3" in preparation for the stroker though  :icon_smile_big:.

You don't have any vid/sound clips do you?

There are some posts on this issue on this site someplace.  I dont know what the HP cut off is before you should move from 2.5 inch to 3 inch but lots of people on this site that know more than I do say it will cost you power if you dont have the correct back pressure in your system. 
I think I heard 550+hp before as a safe mark to have before you move to 3inch pipes.  I could be wrong.

I had 3 inch and moved to a mix of 3 inch then down to 2.5 inch just between my H pipe connection and my back axel.  I did not see any diff that I could measure in a 1/4 mile or doing burn outs but it does sound a little better, not as sloppy.
In the words of Colonel Sanders,,,   "I'm too drunk,,, to taste this chicken"

TexasStroker

I always ran with the idea of 2.5" for under 450 and 3" for 450+
I think that is from the Dynomax Chart...

Glad you smoothed the sound out  :icon_smile_cool:

I might research it more before purchasing...Trouble is 85-90% of the time I'd be running thru the full exhaust, the other 10-15% thru the cut outs...Almost makes it difficult to size your system by the cut out when you will be spending so much more time in full "street" trim...Then again, in "race trim" you want the absolute max  :scratchchin:  Tough decision...

Maybe it is best to just size the system as it would spend the majority of its time and then just enjoy the cutouts for fun...If you lost a tenth with them open you could always just run your full exhaust, lol...Then again, hard to see a dramatic change happening...If only I had the time and money to research it all first hand  ;D
www.lonestarmopars.com
Contact me for info!