News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Layson's Restoration Busted at Carlisle by Police!!

Started by TUFCAT, July 12, 2008, 04:38:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hemi68charger

Quote from: Dodge Don on July 14, 2008, 09:48:59 AM
And I might add, they could have done this at their HQ in Washington but it appears Chrysler wanted to make a show of it and put everyone on notice in the most public way possible.

I heard they did bust their HQ in Washington at the same time so employees couldn't warn each other............
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Shakey

Looks like a staring contest between the tall lanky copper and the guy from MCG.

xs29j8Bullitt

Quote from: Shakey on July 14, 2008, 11:17:59 AM

Looks like a staring contest between the tall lanky copper and the guy from MCG.

The guy with his hands free wins in the end...

XS
After 8 years of downsizing, whats left...
1968 Charger R/T, Automatic, 426 Hemi
1968 Polara 4Dr Sdn, Automatic, 440 Magnum
1968 Polara 4Dr HT, Automatic, 383
1969 Charger 500, 4 Speed, 440 Magnum
1969 Daytona, Automatic, 440 Magnum
1969 Road Runner, 4 Speed, 426 Hemi
1970 `Cuda, Automatic, 440-6BBL
1970 Challenger T/A, Automatic, 340 6 Pack
2004 Ram, Automatic, 5.7L Hemi
2009 Challenger SRT8, Automatic, 6.1L Hemi
<This Space Reserved for a 2016 Challenger SRT Hellcat, 8Sp Automatic,

Dodge Don

Rob Wolfe from MCG was probably loving it....I got handcuffed.....what a story I can tell at the Playboy Mansion  :eyes:

ACUDANUT

Quote from: Dodge Don on July 14, 2008, 09:45:27 AM
Interesting read. I'm not defending Laysons and I do understand the need for trademark laws, however I find it disturbing that Chrysler says they are making counterfeit parts when Chrysler itself does not make these same parts anymore.

Just my opinion however I believe Chrysler turned their backs on classic Mopar fans decades ago and left us with nothing. The old Mopars become valuable and they decide to cash in on us by forcing licensing of parts they themselves destroyed years ago and do not make today.

I know they, as an example, own the "Charger" name, however who cares if a company creates emblems specifically for cars built 40 years ago.....emblems that Chrysler itself no longer makes...I don't see this having any material impact on their current brand or car offerings. This is, again in my opinion, purely Chrysler cashing in on our hobby. If you recall when they launched the new Charger they dismissed classic Charger fans who responded negatively as irrelevant and living in the past. Irrelevant but worthy of having our "living in the past" hobby tapped for $$. They have the legal right, but I think the motives are pure greed.

:Twocents:
My thoughts exactly.

Troy

Just FYI - Laysons most likely did not drive out from WA state. I know when they were at MoparFest in Canada they drove out from their warehouse(s) in the midwest so at least some of their inventory is on this side of the country. Maybe that's why it was necessary to catch them at the show? But why wait until Saturday afternoon after they sold a lot of it? We were sitting close enough to watch everything go down (the police cars all drove right past us) but the last time I saw Rob Wolf he wasn't in handcuffs. The tall officer in the white shirt is the same one that drove the truck away. Other than that, I wasn't too interested in getting any more of the story.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Todd Wilson

Very good reading.  Chrysler has always been really weird about licensing. They dont want to make anything but they dont want anyone else to make anything either. Thats why you see the Ford and Chevy keychains at WalMart but rarely a Moper one.

I think the problem here was laysons had the pentastar on the parts and were selling them making it look like Chrysler parts.   If they had parts made with no pentastar logo and clearly had them marked as reproduction or aftermarket parts then there wouldnt be anything Chrysler could do to them. Thats where Fraud comes into play big time.

As for taking pictures and the cops telling you not to was BS Deluxe.   As long as you were not inside the taped off area and causing problems there isnt a damn thing they can do about it. They just dont like it because they screw up and get caught on film the lawyers will eat them for lunch when it goes to court.  If Laysons is a true marketing guru  this will give them more publicity then they would ever imagine and they should use it to their advantage.

Todd

Dodge Don

Maybe Chrysler should arrest the staff at the Pentagon for using a similar design. :pity:

Todd Wilson

Quote from: Dodge Don on July 14, 2008, 01:00:38 PM
Maybe Chrysler should arrest the staff at the Pentagon for using a similar design. :pity:

Its not the same since the plane hit it!   :icon_smile_big:

Todd

Kevin68N71

This is very interesting reading.

I stand by my original impression....tons of people, a guy in a mask! and all this show.  Waste of taxpayers money.  If it's fraud, send in a team and be done with it.  The handcuffing thing, in my mind, pretty absurd.  Where are they going to go?  That's just me.  I could care less that "Chrysler wanted to make an example".  It's the taxpayer's money I have issue with.

As far as fraud is concerned, if someone is passing something off as made by someone else, that is fraud.  But overall, I agree with the sentiment that if things are no longer made by someone, what's the harm?  Can the solution really be just to remove the Chrysler symbol? Seems odd.

Let's say a guy comes in with a destroyed fender.  And I custom make him one by having ol' Charlie beat one out of sheet metal, "old school".  Should I be arrested for creating a "fraudulent" part?

Lots to consider here.
Do I have the last, operational Popcar Spacemobile?

Ghoste

I'm with you Kevin, the cops obviously wanted to make an impression so they come down in force but then they two faced it by not wanting photos taken.  These weren't violent offenders and even if Rob Wolfe is Captain Mullet and we don't like him, how would we feel if they impounded Shelby's car (just to make "sure") and handcuffed her for a while (just in case).

hemi68charger

Whether we think it's fair, trivial or a waste of money,,,, it's the law.......  There's one thing I see about this country, it's enforcement.. We whine if the law isn't enforced enough (immigration), and then we whine if it's enforced too much (this case in point). The handcuff thing is normal procedure I'm sure.. These guys and gals are being charged with a Federal Offense, not jay-walking..............  I can see why one would probe into the question of the "ninja" cops......... I don't think the Layson staff would have been that much of a tactical threat.........

This truely will be a story for MCG....

Can't wait for Paul Harvey's "The Rest of the Story".....

Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Kevin68N71

QuoteWe whine if the law isn't enforced enough (immigration), and then we whine if it's enforced too much (this case in point).

Yes, you got it, that is PRECISELY the point.  We have porous borders during effectively a war with understaffed border agents in real danger, and we have I don't know HOW MANY federal and local enforcement officers spending the afternoon on a TRADEMARK ISSUE.  I don't know, why while they are at it, didn't they bring in the helicopters?  Someone might be escaping on foot!  Teargas everyone, and roll out the water cannons, some kid might get a crazy idea with that sno-cone in his hand.  Let's roll in a big motorhome and make it the local "command center" while we're at it, right?

I completely agree with enforcing laws against fraud, but come on.
Do I have the last, operational Popcar Spacemobile?

max

several years ago i did buy a package tray from Layson's for my 1962 Dodge and the one thing that came to my mind just alittle while ago is when the package tray got to my house there was an invoice from another company called RMS? which was located on the eastern coast.

i understand that Layson's sells the stuff but they don't make it so i have to wonder if the true manufacture of the stuff will soon be in hot water as well if not already and it hasn't been made public yet.

merlinpooh

Believe me I know this is not just trademark infringement  I know a former employee and the cops were at the former employees house yesterday.  there is a lot of dirty crap going on with this guy.  Just feel real sorry for the employees caught in his dirty deeds!

Dodge Don

Quote from: hemi68charger on July 14, 2008, 01:19:47 PM
Whether we think it's fair, trivial or a waste of money,,,, it's the law.......  There's one thing I see about this country, it's enforcement.. We whine if the law isn't enforced enough (immigration), and then we whine if it's enforced too much (this case in point). The handcuff thing is normal procedure I'm sure.. These guys and gals are being charged with a Federal Offense, not jay-walking..............  I can see why one would probe into the question of the "ninja" cops......... I don't think the Layson staff would have been that much of a tactical threat.........

This truely will be a story for MCG....

Can't wait for Paul Harvey's "The Rest of the Story".....

Troy

Troy, I agree with you, it is the law and they absolutely have the legal right to enforce protection of their trademarks. Usually it is to protect companies with an existing product or service from revenue loss from counterfeits or to protect against brand damage. I don't think that is applicable here. This seems to me more like the Mafia flexing it's muscle to ensure it gets a 'taste" or piece of the action.

Maybe I'm a cynic because I do not for one second believe that Chrysler started the Authentic Mopar Restoration Program to ensure we get quality parts. It was to jam their hands in our pockets. By forcing vendors to pay for licenses they get a taste of the action and drive up the final cost to us the consumer.

Lowprofile

Wow! I miss all the fun!  :D

Sorry, couldn't resist........
"Its better to live one day as a Lion than a Lifetime as a Lamb".

"The final test of a leader is that he leaves behind him in other men the conviction and will to carry on."

Proud Owner of:
1970 Dodge Charger R/T
1993 Dodge Ram Charger
1998 Freightliner Classic XL

superduperbee

Quote from: Kevin68N71 on July 14, 2008, 01:07:52 PM
This is very interesting reading.

I stand by my original impression....tons of people, a guy in a mask! and all this show.  Waste of taxpayers money.  If it's fraud, send in a team and be done with it.  The handcuffing thing, in my mind, pretty absurd.  Where are they going to go?  That's just me.  I could care less that "Chrysler wanted to make an example".  It's the taxpayer's money I have issue with.

As far as fraud is concerned, if someone is passing something off as made by someone else, that is fraud.  But overall, I agree with the sentiment that if things are no longer made by someone, what's the harm?  Can the solution really be just to remove the Chrysler symbol? Seems odd.

Let's say a guy comes in with a destroyed fender.  And I custom make him one by having ol' Charlie beat one out of sheet metal, "old school".  Should I be arrested for creating a "fraudulent" part?

Lots to consider here.

Chrysler turned it's back on the true Mopar Hobbyists years ago. When Greenwood tried to buy the 440 tooling from chrysler in the late 70s or early 80s, Chrysler honchos followed it to the scrap yard to make sure it got destroyed. Chrysler claimed the vintage car hobby "Is an insignificant business opportunity" and they would not reproduce any parts for cars more than 5 years old. So after private parties invested tens of thousands of dollars in tooling to reproduce some parts, Chrysler corp. had their lawyers [RJ Reynolds] start suing everyone left and right. You see, the hobby was an insignificant business opportunity..........until someone else started making a profit off of it. Chrysler ruined the lives of many descent hard working Americans!

After aquiring Jeep, Chrysler sued a guy who's last name is Jeep, and made him change the name of Jeep's bar! Talk about F-ing communism!
They are responsible for the rediculous expense of being involved in the Mopar hobby or car hobby period today. When they sued toy makers,  model car companies and aftermarket manufacturers, it drove the prices of everything sky high. For these companies to stay in business, they have to pass the cost on to the consumer. When GM and Ford saw how Chrysler was going to get all these royalties they followed suit. So yes you can blame Chrysler for pricing many vintage cars/parts from any automaker out of the hands of many enthusiasts.

And lastly, quality of their new turdmobiles absolutely sucks! My last new Mopar had catastrophic engine failure while under warranty and I had to call Auburn Hills headquarters and complain about the dealer blowing me off to get the thing fixed. After the warranty expired, so did the freshly rebuilt engine, trans was going, electrical gremlins made it unsafe to drive and suspension was falling apart. All this from a pampered and well maintained car.  A local shop was getting 4 or 5 cars a week with the same engine problems I had, said Chrysler admitted the engine was a bad design but was refusing to recall or do anything about it. their attitude was basically - We've got your money already, so up yours. A new Chrysler rent-a car I drove recently [fresh off the lot] was no better.So while I love vintage Mopars I will never purchase a new one again, I can't afford the downtime! Also nobody knows if they will be in business in the near future or who will own them next? Who wants to buy a new car from a company that might not be there to service it or sell you parts you need a couple years down the road?

TK73

Lots to consider here.

As soon as you stamp a Pentastar on it it is COUNTERFEITING and selling it is FRAUD.
1973 Charger : 440cid - 727 - 8.75/3.55

Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical,
      a liberal, oh fanatical, criminal.
Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're
      acceptable, respectable, oh presentable, a vegetable!

BMOTOXSTAR

Quote from: Lowprofile on July 14, 2008, 05:27:14 PM
Wow! I miss all the fun!  :D

Sorry, couldn't resist........

:smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
That is freakin' funny....I needed that. :icon_smile_tongue:
73' Dodge Rallye Charger 400/4BBL
06' Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4X4 HEMI
15' Dodge Dart 2.7 SXT

JimShine

Quote from: TK73 on July 14, 2008, 08:22:13 PM

Lots to consider here.

As soon as you stamp a Pentastar on it it is COUNTERFEITING and selling it is FRAUD.

Yes, that is what it is all about. The use of the Pentastar on the reproduction part is the crime. There wouldn't be an issue if they just made the parts without the Pentastars. But if they did that, they would never get top dollar for them as they are no longer 'exact'. What they were doing was making "Cola" and marking the can "Coca Cola".

As far as getting pacjage trays from RMS, that is just a common case where they drop shipped from an existing manufacturer, just like The Paddok, Year One, and most parts supply houses do.

Winged 1

;)
Just saw on the evening news ole Layson is still in the brig. The news says he was buying re pop stuff, and then stamping mother mopar on it and then selling as NOS.
Guess KARMA, and the law finally caught up with him. We can only hope the bail bondsman gives him as much trouble as we get out of his shop...  :smilielol:
Eric

Neal_J

Quote from: superduperbee on July 14, 2008, 07:49:25 PM
Chrysler corp. had their lawyers [RJ Reynolds] start suing everyone left and right.

Um, I'm betting you don't realize that R.J. Reynolds is a tobacoo company, not a law firm?

Nice diatribe otherwise.

Neal

4speed

Quote from: Winged 1 on July 14, 2008, 09:34:44 PM
;)
Just saw on the evening news ole Layson is still in the brig. The news says he was buying re pop stuff, and then stamping mother mopar on it and then selling as NOS.
Guess KARMA, and the law finally caught up with him. We can only hope the bail bondsman gives him as much trouble as we get out of his shop... :smilielol:
Eric
i guess parts won't be the only thing getting re popped :eek2: :smilielol: :smilielol:

71ChallengeHer

Quote from: Ghoste on July 14, 2008, 01:12:58 PM
I'm with you Kevin, the cops obviously wanted to make an impression so they come down in force but then they two faced it by not wanting photos taken.  These weren't violent offenders and even if Rob Wolfe is Captain Mullet and we don't like him, how would we feel if they impounded Shelby's car (just to make "sure") and handcuffed her for a while (just in case).
Well, they wouldn't let her get her medicine or clothes til they were done. If you look you can see Shelby behind her car.  What upsets me about this is Carlisle knew this was going down. That was the Young Guns Class over there. I think that they should have moved the class somewhere else, before the show even started.  No bodies cars should have been over there. What if someone's car got damaged or worse an innocent by-stander got hurt.  :Twocents: