News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

3 speed to 2 speed wiper conversion

Started by RDR838, July 11, 2008, 06:26:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RDR838

Yeah, sounds funny, but I want to put a 2 speed switch in my Charger which is 3 speed equipped.

My 3 speed switch lacks all of its chrome and the 2 speed switch I got recently looks awesome. I try not to drive when its raining, so I won't need it too often anyways.

Now there is much said about converting a 2 speed to a 3 speed but I did not understand everything good enough to see what needs to be done to do the opposite.

Is there a chance to do it at all without replacing the motor or the arms under my dash?

Thank you!

RDR838

Winged 1

;)
Just swap the rocker and your set with a new 3 speed switch.
Eric

konigcharger

:iagree: ive done it with rr defog switches

If you have no vision or creative spirit, you can always fall back on the way the factory did it.

RDR838

Yeah, that's what I thought about first. But I didn't find a way to do that!?

I tried that with a headlight switch I had to spare and I think the mounting is the same for the wiper- and the headlight-switch.

Any suggestions on how to loosen the rocker from the rest and how to get it back on?

Any help is HIGHLY appreciated, I want to attend a show tomorrow!

Edit: Okay, found some information here:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25893.0.html

sounds like I'll break it. I guess I'll have to have it redone

But for the time it'll be out for rechroming, I'll need to have something in there... So if there's any other suggestion on how to keep the wipers wiping with the 2 speed-switch, please let me know!

THANK YOU!

RDR838

Chatt69chgr

You can carefully drive the pin out and change the rockers.  If you don't want to do this you can send the whole switch off to CV Vacuum Platers and they will take off the rocker and rechrome it and reinstall.  If they break it, I think they have some replacements.  I really don't know what is involved to use a two speed switch with a three speed wiper.  I think the middle speed on the three speed setup uses a resistor that is located on the side of the three speed switch and is not present on the two speed one.  My understanding is that the wiring is the same between the switch and the bulkhead connector. 
Hey Nacho------I bet you know what's involved.  Can you just plug the underdash wiring harness on a three speed wiper car into a two speed switch?  If so, will the wipers work on only two speeds? 

RDR838

I did plug in the 2-speed and what happened was that it worked in slow speed, I'm unsure what would happen if I put it back off. But as soon as I put in full speed on the 2-speed-switch the whole system makes funny sounds, the wipers don't move and it doesn't stop to do so even if I switch back to slow speed or even the off-position.

I was hoping to be able to maxbe change one or two connections to override the middle-speed and only have slow and fast connected, but I guess it's too complicated. I'll re-install the old switch for this season and have it replated in winter. Or does anybody have another idea to get the 2-speed to work at least till I have the 3-speed-switch back from replating?

Thank you!

RDR838

RDR838

Quote from: Winged 1 on July 11, 2008, 06:46:20 PM
;)
Just swap the rocker and your set with a new 3 speed switch.
Eric

Ha! It was easier than I thought!

I did that today after I had checked lilwendal's thread again yesterday. He even had posted pictures showing how to separate the switch and the rocker!

Well, thanks for your help everybody!

RDR838