News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Restoring of my wrecked 69 SE Charger as come to an end 100724

Started by ChargerSG, July 11, 2008, 04:30:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1969chargerrtse

Doing great work there.  You know metal work a heack of a lot more than I do.   :2thumbs:
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

ChargerSG

Thanks 1969chargerrtse :cheers: Im not that good, i just have a real metalguy finish my work :icon_smile_big:

Got a wondering how the Charger looked after the crash, so here it is...
Looking for 383 Magnum #0B196875 and 0B115166

Troy

You're definitely making good progress! It's amazing what you find when you have to tear into a car - and how quickly it blows the budget.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

The70RT

<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

ChargerSG

Thanks. It sure does Troy, about how work seems to get more.
No futher progress on the Charger(just minor grinding and geting hold of parts) i cant paint the trunk and all springs since its to cold here right now(the paint dont dry in the garage) have to wait for warmer weather :-\

firefighter3931

Keep up the good work and nice job saving those factory quarterpanels !  :2thumbs:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

426HemiCharger

------------------------Cars I have now----------------------------
1969 Charger R/T
1998 Ford Econoline 150
2002 Hyundai Elantra GLS
-----------------------Cars I wish I had----------------------------
1969 Charger R/T 4-Speed or Hemi Clone
1970 Charger R/T Hemi Clone
1970  Dodge Polara IL State Police Car
---------------------------Future Posibilities------------------------
2010 or later Ford Fusion Hybrid (Replaces 2002 Hyundai)

ChargerSG

To make a long story short. I was going to make a short spinn before putting the 69 SE Charger in the garage.
I have a long stright road outside my house and i take her up to like 60 mph(have a 4.10 suregrip so that goes fast).
When i have gone like 200 yards i let the fot of the pedal and just roll and was planning on turn the Charger and go back.
Still like doing like 55 mph it right out of nothing it just stears right of the road....
I try to stear it up but nothing happans, it was sitting there waiting for the hit(was like minutes thou it was like 1 second). Hitts the ditch hard on the passanger front, the Charger rise and flips around one time(without hitting the roof).... :o Time stod still in my head all sounds was gone and strange thoughts was going throu my mind, then landing and hell broke lose. The Charger flyes over the road(miracle that i dident hit another car, i would have crushed a small car) and then back. Spinns around 3 times and then plows the ditch for a few yards and them brutal stop in a rock.
I have manged to hold on to the wheel all that time but that stop make my left hand slip of and i banged my whole body in the door. Smashed my head open bad(the door looked like a banana) and trash my knee and fot, but still walkes home... :rofl:
Then monthes of drugs and and learning to walk again, but im allmost fully recoverd, to 99% anyway.
The lesson to all this is do all work on the front end(since that was the reson, trackrod) yourself and orginal seatbelts are junk :RantExplode:
And most important my family wasent in the Charger and that im alive :angel:

ChargerSG

Have cleaned a door to change the driverside door(that looks like a banana) cant paint it since its to cold anyway but its ready for paint allmost. Next task is to get the powerwindows and things out of the bad door in one piece.
Sure the door looks ok from the outside but the inside is way off and it feels better to change the door than working on it(to get i staright) i will probebly fix it later but now i just wanna progress, put together and running and feel how it acts on the road :-\

HemiTom

man i envy your ambition and will power to carry on after the accident. alot of people would have just given up on restoring a 39-40 year old car. love to see the completed car with you sitting in the driver seat...

bull

Did you ever get any insurance money for the repairs? I didn't see where you mentioned that if you did.

Steve P.

Glad to see you are able to get back at it in good shape buddy. That is most important. The car comes later... BUT it is looking like you're making huge progress and it all looks great..

How are you coming on fenders?  I was wondering if you have a web site there for shipping stuff. EBAY has a shipping site called "U-SHIP" here.  Sometimes you can get a pretty good deal on shipping cross country there. Don't have a clue if they have this all over like Ebay, but worth a look...

Keep it up buddy. Before you know it she will be 100% and you will be a very proud Papa.....

:cheers:
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

ChargerSG

I did get some insurence money, i was fighting for them to make the repers since i knew it was gonna be really hard work. They gave me 2 options, i keep the car and get some money(not enuff by far) to repair it my self(they hold 20% untill its finched). And option 2 was they take the car and scrap it, sure i had been given fair money on it but i couldent live with the fact that my 69 SE gonna be stripped on all parts and crushed. I kept the car :brickwall:

Thanks for asking Steve P. I have bought one new Amd fender and one hopefully a good used one, waiting for them and they will probably show up in like 2 weeks i hope(toke boat freight since its cheap). The things missing now is all turnlights and lenses and interior parts(but those arent importent now wanna get it on the road).

The sickest thing now is that my 69 RT/SE Trackpack and 70 RT/SE 4speed Challenger just sits there and i spend allot of money and energy on a wrecked 69 SE :-\
Sure i know if i havent done this now it would probably just be sitting behind the garage and rusted away and before you know it 10 years have gone :icon_smile_big:

Steve P.

You are doing it right in my opinion. Just don't forget to give the other cars a little love when you can....
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

ChargerSG

I know Steve P but have to remind myself every week, the other two that are more worth i can just look at them and thinking next winter then :icon_smile_big:

472 R/T SE

Quote from: HemiTom on February 07, 2009, 11:41:08 PM
man i envy your ambition and will power to carry on after the accident. alot of people would have just given up on restoring a 39-40 year old car.

+ 1  I think I'd prolly throw the towel in.  :shruggy:

Nice work man.  I wish I could do just an ounce of what you're doing.

captaindodge

The lesson to all this is do all work on the front end(since that was the reson, trackrod) yourself and orginal seatbelts are junk
And most important my family wasent in the Charger and that im alive

Is the trackrod the tie rod? Was it left, right, inner or outer or the sleeve?

ChargerSG

Dont know since i dont know if that was the right word for(since im Swede). Was on the right side(pass side).
Been trying to write it down, but trying describe it just comes out strange since i dont know the right words :icon_smile_cool:

ChargerSG

Tomorrow in gonna pick my smashed Magnumwheels, i really hope they turn out good as it should. I will sureley know when i been at a friend that sell tires and put em his machine :scratchchin:

hemi68charger

Quote from: ChargerSG on February 25, 2009, 08:25:45 AM
Tomorrow in gonna pick my smashed Magnumwheels, i really hope they turn out good as it should. I will sureley know when i been at a friend that sell tires and put em his machine :scratchchin:

Your insurance didn't get you new Magnums? Man, I'd be leary of formerly bent rims............. But, the proof is in the pudding if they balance ok and don't show signs of warpage......
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

ChargerSG

No, and the insurancemoney is finished long ago :brickwall:
Any way the wheel look ok(have messure it like 100 times and i feel balanced) but will surley know untill the tire is on(and balanced) and then put on a car and try it, right now im waiting for tires since the with that i had before wasent avaible here :scratchchin:

ChargerSG

Finelly the two front Magnum wheels are saved. The worst of the two was really banged up, but the guy saved it great. New tires on and balanced :icon_smile_big: The other two could just be saved with some repair so now 4 wheels ready for the road :yesnod:

ChargerSG

The rust area is saved and have some paint, and rear window is in.
Bought a used fender for the passangerside, it looked ok but when i started to grind it some it turned out to be a bondo eldorado, half of the fender is coverd with an inch thick layer of bondo to cover sevral damage areas :brickwall:
Have set this goal that in May the Charger is gonna be ready for a test spinn :icon_smile_big:

ChargerSG

After allmost 1,5 year to hear it run again was great :yesnod: Once connected it was just turn the key and enjoy the sound. Since i dont have any radiator and tranny dont have any oil it was just for a half of a minute but that will give me energy to go on with this hell of restoring :D

Steve P.

NO OIL??  :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: Never start a motor without oil.....  Not for ANY amount of time... It's a sure way to EAT a motor....
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida