News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

pesky dipstick tube installation

Started by hemi68charger, June 22, 2008, 08:15:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hemi68charger

Hey gang..
OK, I have my hemi and I'm installing the dipstick.. Any hints on how to coach it all the way in? I'll get about 3/4's of the way in and just won't go in any further.. It's obviously a reproduction cause I couldn't find an NOS version....

Thanks..
Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

69chargerR/T

Take an open end wrench that fits the tube ( 3/8 I think ) slide it over the tube above lip on the tube and then hammer on the wrench till the tube is all the way in :2thumbs: Alan 

hemi68charger

Quote from: 69chargerR/T on June 22, 2008, 12:08:54 PM
Take an open end wrench that fits the tube ( 3/8 I think ) slide it over the tube above lip on the tube and then hammer on the wrench till the tube is all the way in :2thumbs: Alan 

Tried that.... But, dang thing broke... Grrrrrrrrr  Time for another one..............
Troy
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)

rt green

emery cloth. sand it down till it fits. try a little sealer
third string oil changer

Just 6T9 CHGR

I use a crows foot the same diameter as the tube & a long extension
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

firefighter3931

The repro tubes are allways oversized....major PITA trying to install them "as is"  :brickwall:

A few seconds on the bench grinder fixes all that nonsense.  :2thumbs:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Steve P.

Are you sure the block is clear of any old broke off tubes??

I like to take the tube down on a taper. I do it with a 6" bench grinder. Very light touches and I try to stay away from the last 3/16" closest to the flange. The after I know it is close I use a open end wrench and a small ball peen hammer to send it home. A bit of sealer won't hurt and will make the tube a bit easier to install. I put the sealer on the tube also, like a lube.
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

hemi68charger

Quote from: Steve P. on June 22, 2008, 08:57:11 PM
Are you sure the block is clear of any old broke off tubes??

I like to take the tube down on a taper. I do it with a 6" bench grinder. Very light touches and I try to stay away from the last 3/16" closest to the flange. The after I know it is close I use a open end wrench and a small ball peen hammer to send it home. A bit of sealer won't hurt and will make the tube a bit easier to install. I put the sealer on the tube also, like a lube.

Thanks guys...
Steve, it's a brand new block..... Sooo, no chance of broken tubing........... I'll try the grinder or dremel when I get the new one..............

Thanks..
Troy
Troy

terrible one

Quote from: rt green on June 22, 2008, 02:42:31 PM
emery cloth. sand it down till it fits. try a little sealer

Exactly what my buddy and I did for his 383.  :2thumbs: I guess they'd rather it not fit than leak!

Steve P.

Just light touches while turning the tube buddy. Make sure you have good control and don't over do it. we are talking a few thousands here.... 

Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

hemi68charger

Well, after breaking the previous one and Bill over at A+M Hightechauto sending me another one, I got her installed yesterday afternoon.... With some grinding of the OD of the insertion part of the tube, I got it installed... Now it's time to further my painting detail work.........

Thanks Bill...........

Troy
Troy

Steve P.

Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

hemi68charger

Quote from: Steve P. on July 11, 2008, 09:53:29 AM
Looks great.............    :2thumbs:

Thanks Steve... I'll attach the negative cable, clean off the end of the lower hose attach point on the water pump housing and tape off, install the motor mount insulatrors, spray some more high temp primer on the bare components like the motor mount hardware and then detail some more with my engine color...............  Funny, I've seen original hemi's with the dipstick tube running along the forward leading edge of the exhaust manifold and then those routed like I have mine..
Troy