News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

The new deadliest job in America

Started by bull, July 09, 2008, 05:14:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

Interesting:

According to a story in this week's RCR Wireless News, building and climbing towers (which can be hundreds of feet tall) is more dangerous than ranching, fishing, logging, and even ironworking. The fatality rate is currently 183.6 deaths per 100,000 workers: Five tower workers died during one 12-day span earlier this year alone. 18 tower workers died on the job in 2006.

http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/null/97827

BB1

:o I for one will stop using my cell phone, so I don't contribute to the call per death statistics.

Cell phones companies lie, and people die.  :callme:  :faint:
Delete my profile

Charger_Fan

Good to know, I'll tell these guys to quit complaining then. :icon_smile_tongue:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

moparstuart

Quote from: CHARGER_FAN on July 09, 2008, 06:20:41 PM
Good to know, I'll tell these guys to quit complaining then. :icon_smile_tongue:

that picture makes me afraid of hights just looking at it
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

472 R/T SE

I always thought these boyz had a dangerous job.  The two on the tower top are giving me the one finger salute.  These same two guys plus one other were dismantling a construction elevator in Seattle and pulled one of the wrong pieces out and free fell over 75 feet.  They all lived but busted them up pretty good.  AFAIK they still haven't put a tool belt back on.
I thought for two weeks after I got hurt that I would come back like these guys did, never realized till later I was doomed forever.  :-\

Charger1970

Quote from: 472 R/T SE on July 09, 2008, 09:41:05 PM
I always thought these boyz had a dangerous job. The two on the tower top are giving me the one finger salute. These same two guys plus one other were dismantling a construction elevator in Seattle and pulled one of the wrong pieces out and free fell over 75 feet. They all lived but busted them up pretty good. AFAIK they still haven't put a tool belt back on.
I thought for two weeks after I got hurt that I would come back like these guys did, never realized at first I was doomed forever. :-\

Forever ain't over yet.  :2thumbs:
1970 Charger 500
2015 Challenger SRT

rusty lee

so now discovery will make a show   deadliest tower.   :icon_smile_question:

Khyron

Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

Ponch ®

Dang...doing that must be like receiving oral favors from Oprah. Whatever you do, you never wanna look down.
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

BB1

I want to see the guy that took the picture. He must have brass ones.
Delete my profile

Lowprofile

Man, I get dizzy just looking at that photo.  :eek2: :puke:
"Its better to live one day as a Lion than a Lifetime as a Lamb".

"The final test of a leader is that he leaves behind him in other men the conviction and will to carry on."

Proud Owner of:
1970 Dodge Charger R/T
1993 Dodge Ram Charger
1998 Freightliner Classic XL

SeattleCharger

Most dangerous job I ever did had to be hot tar roofing, followed by power washing cedar shake roofs.   Probably not a high death rate, just can get really burned or break your back falling,
    How do so many die?  Do the towers fall?  aren't they hooked on the thing the entire time?  wonder what is happening.
  I am not knocking them, just curious as to what causes the accidents.

Why would you want anything else?  Just give me a Charger and I'll be happy.

SeattleCharger

Quote from: rusty lee on July 09, 2008, 10:50:35 PM
so now discovery will make a show   deadliest tower.   :icon_smile_question:

heh, so true     

d72hemi

Sweet! In a week or two I get clime certified for my 75 foot tower. I will have to post a pic or two.

Ian

Chad L. Magee

You would not catch me working up there like that. :o  I am quite content on safely working with my chemicals in a nice protected building, thank you.  Never was much for heights.....
Ph.D. Metallocene Chemist......

moparstuart

Quote from: Chad L. Magee on July 11, 2008, 11:05:24 AM
You would not catch me working up there like that. :o  I am quite content on safely working with my chemicals in a nice protected building, thank you.  Never was much for heights.....
plus making the meth does pay so well  :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: 
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Charged

How is "Fishing" considered dangerous?

SeattleCharger

Quote from: Charged on July 12, 2008, 02:53:37 PM
How is "Fishing" considered dangerous?

It isn't so much the fishing, its where you are doing the fishing.   Bering Sea?

Charged

Gotcha. Living in KY for 17 years, I dont usually visualize holding a Zebco Quantum as life-threatening. That is untill I turn to Channel 38 and watch Deadliest Catch on the Discovery channel.

SeattleCharger

Quote from: Charged on July 12, 2008, 04:18:46 PM
Gotcha. Living in KY for 17 years, I dont usually visualize holding a Zebco Quantum as life-threatening. That is untill I turn to Channel 38 and watch Deadliest Catch on the Discovery channel.

heh,  ya, I guess you could drink too much and fall of the boat or fall in the river and drown in Kentucky, could be dangerous   :icon_smile_wink:

Charged

My friend Corona and I plea the fifth to any near death experiences as such.

Fishing Tip #758
Always wear a life preserver so you can drink while floating down river rapids towards blunt-force injury by boulders. The alcoholic numbness and barf-by-impact factor will soften the blow.