News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1965 cable shift 727 trans parts swap question?

Started by chargerbr549, July 08, 2008, 06:37:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chargerbr549

I have a 65 727 transmission that came out of a 65 imperial with a 413, it has bolt on yoke on the back as opposed to the slip yoke style which most of all 727's had by 65, can it be easily converted to a slip yoke by just installing a newer tail shaft or is there any other way to do it without spending lots of dollars?

Kevin

John_Kunkel

A '66 or later tailshaft and housing won't work on a cable shift trans, the '65 only parts are the only ones that can be used to convert it to slip yoke.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Steve P.

I had thought ALL the 65' 727's were slip yoke...  :shruggy:
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

chargerbr549

From what I found out it looks all 65 727's were slip yoke except the Imperial.

Kevin

max

Quote from: Steve P. on July 10, 2008, 06:15:33 PM
I had thought ALL the 65' 727's were slip yoke...  :shruggy:

a fellow that lives in my town has a 1965 Dodge that claims to be all original with a 318 poly and it has the bolt on drive shaft. i have to wonder if those were left over trans that were used in those 1965 cars or if they were early built 1965 cars. :scratchchin:

375instroke

Why do you want to change it?  I have a '64 with one.  Is there something I should know?

John_Kunkel

The '65 Imperial retained the flanged yoke because they used the constant velocity u-joint. All '65 B bodies with a 727 should have a slip yoke.

375instroke

Like I asked earlier, why change it?  My '64 is making a slight squeaking from that area.  The boot is torn and grease slung out, but there is no vibration, the shaft is still tight, and inside looks like it's got some grease inside.  There aren't any metal flakes visible.  What should I do?  Should I take it apart, clean, grease, replace the boot, and reassemble?  How does it come apart?  It's a smallblock rear pump cable shift trunion bearing trans.  How can that be converted?  '65 only tailshaft and output shaft?

John_Kunkel

As long as the B&T joint isn't causing any problems and you're not feeding it insane horsepower there's no real reason to change. In olden days you could get a u-joint rebuild kit with a new housing, nowadays all you can easily get are the internal parts; once the housing wear becomes a problem it gets expensive to own a B&T equipped trans. Some have used the split CV joint boots available in the auto supply to replace the torn boot on the old Mopars.

There is a rather expensive kit that converts the B&T flange to a slip yoke.