News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

New here with question

Started by 68-300, October 19, 2005, 01:38:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

68-300

He guys,

well I'm actualy a big chrysler 300 fan but a friend of mine (no internet) wants to buy a charger and I ran into this one (allready have got an option on it) http://www.nevadaclassiccars.com/gallery/68-charger Anyone know this car or firm?

Thanks for any help
Alex

ChargerBill

Unless that car is truly all original, I wouldn't think it worth more than 10K. If it is truly all original (survivor) then maybe 12K to 14K. The body looks straight but the paint is shot...especially on the hood. Back seat looks decent, but I wonder if it is original...and why NO pictures of the front seats? The rear window to trunk filler panel looks like it was replaced. I would wonder if the rear window chanel was replaced or if it is rusted out. The rear bumper looks too nice to be original...it should at least have worn spots where the water runs down off the back because it was obviously not a garaged car by looking at the sun damage on the hood. Questions you need to ask: Was there a rear end collision and a repair? Try to find out why was the bumper replaced... Does it run? How well does it run? How many miles? Does the AC work? What do the front seats look like? Is it truly (claimed to be) a California car...where in California? Where are the Black California plates? Is the vinyl top original or replaced?

This is one of those "Flip it for profit" companies, so they will be asking a lot more than the car is worth...especailly if you were to buy it from a private owner. Even though Chargers ARE going up in value, I would NOT offer asking price...I'd want to drive it first and push all the buttons and knobs and see what works and what doesn't. I would look very closely at the lower rear quarter panels for bubbles and rust, and also under the wheel lip moulding in the rear. I would want to see under the trunk matt to see if any rust is present. Also look closely under the battery tray for acid caused corrosion/rust. Look down inside the cowl vent ...some surface rust should be obvious, but there should NOT be scaled rust down there. Look at ALL the rubber for overspray...even slightly pull it back to see if the paint underneath matches. Remember, they are calling this an all original car...they need to prove it. In all honesty, it doesn't appear to be 100% original to me...too many inconsistencies...underhood and on the body. If the car is solid and functional and MOSTLY original then I might start at 11K and see what they counter with. At the VERY end of negotiations (if you are happy with the price) BEFORE you agree I would say,"OK, you have a deal IF you throw in a complete set of magnum wheels". But that's just me...I like to see how far I can push them. More likely than not they picked up this car from some old lady for 5K or so...they CAN afford $700.00 in wheels, and will probably be able to get them at cost as a dealer for around $350 a set.

Good luck
Life is a highway...

bull

It's a dealership so Bill is right. They probably picked it up for half (or less) of what they're asking for it. I didn't see any info for the car on that site but looking at the engine and VIN it appears to be a 383/2bbl car which won't be quite as desirable as the HP 383 4bbl. If he could have gotten it for the price the dealer probably paid I'd say he'd have gotten a good deal. The car would be worth what they're asking or more if it had gotten a quality paint job done recently and some freshening up on the interior. I'd say it's worth about $10k or so but you'd have to start lower to get them there. I think the hobby's definition of 'survivor' means it doesn't really need restoration, and this one does. As Bill mentioned, look closely for rust problems at the lower quarters, under the vinyl top, around the rear window, etc. Actually, it looks as if they might have recently put a vinyl top on the car so hopefully they took care of any rust problems there, but I wouldn't hold my breath. That dumb bumper jack in the trunk is worth $300 if the base is there somewhere.

Charger Aficionado

Check out the rust hole up-front in this fender: 

She is a nice car, but 16k is INFLATED.  12-14 sounds O.K. considering market.

cudaken

You really need more details of the Charger as Bill said. I does look complete and that is a plus. I would all so say $12,000 to $14,000.

Cuda Ken
I am back

Blown70

I personally dont think 16,500 is worth it.  IF you look here someone has one for 21,500 in VERY GOOD shape.  Another 70 that would be better to start with than that.

I think if you or your friend look more you will find a better car....

I would not give much over 10 for that one esp without more info.

Blown70

Tom_440

I would have someone knowledgeable about Chargers check it out with you in person before dropping any real $$$.

PocketThunder

Quote from: Blown70 on October 19, 2005, 09:21:29 AM
I personally dont think 16,500 is worth it. ? IF you look here someone has one for 21,500 in VERY GOOD shape. ? Another 70 that would be better to start with than that.

I think if you or your friend look more you will find a better car....

I would not give much over 10 for that one esp without more info.

Blown70

:iagree:      http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,2349.0.html
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

68-300

Thanks for all the info guys!!

We bumped the deal and are now looking at the Chargers for sale from privat sellers that don't need restoring.

Thanks,
Alex