News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Which virus protection software for Windows XP?

Started by Dans 68, July 08, 2008, 06:37:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dans 68

I'm running Wndows XP on my iMac (as I need some software not offered for OS10 :brickwall: ). What do you recommend? Thanks!  :2thumbs:

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

Plumcrazy

It's not a midlife crisis, it's my second adolescence.

dd44068

not sure if it wil;l work on a mac but at work we use kaspersky :2thumbs:

Dans 68

It works fine. Avast is loaded and running on "Parallels" for the Mac using the XP operating system. Thanks Paul.  :2thumbs:

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

bull

I thought Macs were impervious to viruses. :shruggy: Is it XP that's vulnerable?

dodgecharger-fan

Quote from: bull on July 09, 2008, 05:10:20 AM
I thought Macs were impervious to viruses. :shruggy: Is it XP that's vulnerable?

Yep. Even XP running in an emulator program on a MAC is still XP.

One word of caution with regards to MACs being impervious: while there ar not many virus or trojan attacks that affect the MAC OS directly, you are still open to phishing attacks and anything else that involves social engineering.

I am always careful about what I click on while cruising the web, reading e-mail, etc. I was surprised to hear how some long time MAC users that I know felt they were 100% safe from any kind of attacks.
I asked, "What stops you from entering your account information in to a bogus banking site?" I got blank stares in return.

You still need to be careful out there.

Dans 68

Macs are not tmmune to viruses - it is just that there are so few nasty programs written especially for them. But the windows XP side I am running on my Intel based iMac can be infected rather easily. So yes, it is to protect the windows operating system.

Dan