News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Need some info re: moving my '67 - tires?

Started by Boy Racer, April 30, 2008, 10:43:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boy Racer

Hello all. I'm mostly an occasional lurker, but sometimes post. The time, however, has come for action!

Long story short: we closed on our new house in Buford, GA last Friday. It's got a two car garage, and one slot is already reserved for the '67 wasting away in Mom's garage in MD. See pics here.

Anyway, we plan to either drive or fly up to MD on July 4th weekend, rent a moving truck and car trailer, and take some furniture from Mom (and the Charger) back to GA with us. We'll play around with it this summer/fall and maybe get it running just in time for winter weather.  ::)

Here's my dilemma: the car today sits on four dry-rotted and flat tires, making the move all that much more difficult. We can easily jack up the car, set it on stands and take the wheels off (I've got that covered), but who in the area would be a good source for a set of rollers to have mounted on a holiday weekend? Do shops even carry 7.5X14s?

Anyone who can point me towards a shop somewhere close to Woodbine/Mt. Airy/Damascus/Olney that (on Friday July 4th or Saturday 5th) will mount me up any old tires that will hold air and allow the car to roll - new/used doesn't matter - I'd appreciate the help.

Thanks!
'67 Charger: 383 4BBL, 4-spd (on da' floor), ZZ1 Exterior, S6X Interior
Currently accepting quotes for restoration services!

UFO

Try pumping up what is already on the car,may hold air long enough to get it to it's new home.

Paul G

I would bet those old tires will hold enough air to get it on the trailer.
1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.
1973 Charger Rallye, 4 speed, muscle rat. Whatever engine right now?

Mopars Unlimited of Arizona

http://www.moparsaz.com/#

Boy Racer

OK - but if the flat tires don't hold air ...then what?

oldcarnut

Seems to me like the Walmarts were open those days if one is nearby that has the auto service.  Maybe if you have other relatives or your Mom has a family friend there, search the local craigslist, freecycle, or online trader paper that could have set for sale nearby in 14" or 15" tires and rims cheap which they could pick up for ya.  I wouldn't try any of the fix-a-flat stuff as most tire places don't like to deal with it. 

Boy Racer

Does anyone know the dimensions for stock tires? PXXX/XXR14? Can you fill in the Xs? I imagine P205/95R14!  :icon_smile_big: Am I close?  ;D

bordin34

What do the old dry rotted tires say on them?

1973 SE Brougham Black 4̶0̶0̶  440 Auto.
1967 Coronet Black 440 Auto
1974 SE Brougham Blue 318 Auto- Sold to a guy in Croatia
1974 Valiant Green 318 Auto - Sold to a guy in Louisiana
Mahwah,NJ

Paul G

Quote from: Boy Racer on May 01, 2008, 02:23:56 PM
Does anyone know the dimensions for stock tires? PXXX/XXR14? Can you fill in the Xs? I imagine P205/95R14!  :icon_smile_big: Am I close?  ;D

If all you want is something to move the car on size really doesn't matter much. a 7.50 x 14 is about equal to a P205/75R14. Any cheap 14" tire will do wont it? If you are lucky they may even have some used tires laying around. You may be surprised at how well an old dry tire will pump up and hold enough air to roll the car around. You only need enough air in them to get the steel wheel off the floor.
1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.
1973 Charger Rallye, 4 speed, muscle rat. Whatever engine right now?

Mopars Unlimited of Arizona

http://www.moparsaz.com/#

Boy Racer

Quote from: bordin34 on May 01, 2008, 03:30:54 PM
What do the old dry rotted tires say on them?
I don't know, I can't see it from here - the actual car is 600 miles north of me.

I am wanting to figure out the modern tire size equivalent to search the Wal-mart inventory near the house up there, because they may be able to help (I never previously considered Wal-mart). But if they don't even carry them, I'll have to search out other options.

Anyway, an internet search tells me they're either 205/75R14, 215/70R14 or 235/60R14. I don't remember them being all that wide, so I feel I may seek out the 215s first, then take whatever I can get after that.

Boy Racer

Quick update: The move went great, better than I could have expected. All the flat tires held air, so I didn't have to buy new ones just to move the car.

We brought the car home yesterday and she's sitting outside her new garage bay, partially under a tarp*. We took 60+ pictures over three days of work, and I'll re-size them and get some posted, but I can't today or tonight, I'm headed out the door right now, and tonight's our one-year wedding anniversary so there will be no working on the computer tonight.

*The tarp's because there's way worse rot along the windshield and rear window trim than I had expected, in addition to the decklid and rear quarters, and I didn't want rain water penetrating in the cabin anymore than I have to.

The question rolling around my gray matter now is: now what? Where do I start... oh well, hours and hours of lurking around here oughta get me at least educated enough to be better confused than I am now. We'll see how this goes.

Keep watching this space for picture updates.