News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Why are Cudas so popular?

Started by WingCharger, July 06, 2008, 07:37:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave22443

My first project car was a '71 Challenger.  Loved that car and had a blast in it.  When I found a '68 for sale though, I quickly dumped the "E" and went for the "B"   :yesnod:

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
- Abraham Lincoln

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: Dave22443 on July 14, 2008, 09:10:45 PM
My first project car was a '71 Challenger.  Loved that car and had a blast in it.  When I found a '68 for sale though, I quickly dumped the "E" and went for the "B"   :yesnod:
No kidding, I can see why.  That 68 is really really niiiiiiccccccee. :drool5:
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

Dave22443

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on July 14, 2008, 09:20:48 PM
Quote from: Dave22443 on July 14, 2008, 09:10:45 PM
No kidding, I can see why.  That 68 is really really niiiiiiccccccee. :drool5:

Thanks  :icon_smile_big:  Although it didn't look like that when I bought it. Or even after my first ever self performed paint job  :lol:

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
- Abraham Lincoln

twenty mike mike

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on July 14, 2008, 08:13:44 PM
" Why have they gotten so popular? Everybody was selling them! "

If everybody was selling them wouldn't that be the opposite of being popular?   :shruggy:

In order to sell something, someone has to buy it.  :slap:

68charger383

By the time the cuda/challenger came out in 70, GM had already redesigned the 3 year old camaro into the new body design.  :eek2: The mustang was on its last year for the classic mach design. So they were almost on their own in the market.

The muscle car version of the camaro was gone since 69 and the mustang version was gone at the end of 70. However, you could still buy a cuda through 74.  So you had 5 years of a technically advanced pony car in the cuda/challenger in comparison to the earlier camaro/firebird and mustang. Plus the Cuda came out first year crammed with the hemi, 440+6 440, 340 etc while maybe the last year of the camaro/mustang they had the big motors in volume, but the LS6 wasn't available for the camaro and no more Boss 429 for the Mach. So if you were next to a cuda, you knew it was ready to run.  :Twocents:
1968 Charger 383(Sold)
2003 Dodge Viper SRT-10

Mike DC

Yeah but 440 & Hemi Dodge Darts were fast as balls too.  But they're not desired these days the way 'Cudas and Challengers are, aside from the #-matching rarities. 

The looks are at least half the battle in keeping something desirable. 

Troy

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on July 14, 2008, 10:55:46 PM

Yeah but 440 & Hemi Dodge Darts were fast as balls too.  But they're not desired these days the way 'Cudas and Challengers are, aside from the #-matching rarities. 

The looks are at least half the battle in keeping something desirable. 
They aren't? The prices I've seen on 68-69 Hemi Darts have been astronomical and nearly anything that says "GTS" on it seems to be pretty expensive with the 440 versions being nearly impossible to get. If I had obscene amounts of money, I'd take a Hemi Dart before any Charger, Challenger or Cuda (of course they'd follow along rather quickly).

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Mike DC

I mean the clones are't very desirable in the big picture.  A '68 Dart with a 440 is basically just worth the price of the '68 Dart + the price of the 440. 

Of course factory big block Darts are desirable as hell because they were fast & low-production.   

68charger383

Don't forget, darts were as common on the road as a camry is today. It was usually an older persons car (not GTS etc.). So when I think of a dart, that's what pops into my mind. The cuda was more of a younger single car.

I agree looks plays a factor in the price and desirability, but its also the fact that people always wanted one, couldn't afford back in the day, had one but sold it, hype to own one etc.

As far as looks counting in desirability and price- look at the price of a 68 350 camaro vs. a 68 350 firebird...basically the same car and same look, but a big difference in price.
1968 Charger 383(Sold)
2003 Dodge Viper SRT-10

Troy

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on July 15, 2008, 12:02:29 AM
I mean the clones are't very desirable in the big picture.  A '68 Dart with a 440 is basically just worth the price of the '68 Dart + the price of the 440. 

Of course factory big block Darts are desirable as hell because they were fast & low-production.   

Sorry, didn't see anything about clones. Yep, I agree on those.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Steve P.

Before we get tangled in the CAMARO looking Cuda, let's just remember that the "A" body BARRACUDA came out in 1964'.  ;)  That body came from a yet earlier A body.  What did the Mustang and Camaro come from??  :scratchchin: :think: :insertsarcasm:
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

WingCharger

Dont get me wrong, I think 1971 Cudas are purly awesome. Billboards+rear louvers+wing+tor-red+shaker hood+1971 Cuda= :coolgleamA:

TK73

Quote from: Steve P. on July 15, 2008, 07:58:39 AM
What did the Mustang and Camaro come from??

Much better ideas than the original Barracuda...   :icon_smile_big:
1973 Charger : 440cid - 727 - 8.75/3.55

Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical,
      a liberal, oh fanatical, criminal.
Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're
      acceptable, respectable, oh presentable, a vegetable!

twenty mike mike

Quote from: 68charger383 on July 15, 2008, 12:42:34 AM
Don't forget, darts were as common on the road as a camry is today. It was usually an older persons car (not GTS etc.). So when I think of a dart, that's what pops into my mind.

That's what made it so fun to race a stripe delete GTS against Camaros, Cudas, Chargers, Roadrunners or whatever. The look of shock on the faces of the other drivers after they lost was always a delight. There weren't very many GTSs around, so the relatively small GTS badges didn't mean much...until afterward.

lazarus

I've always thought the E-bodies were the natural evolution of the '69 Camaro.

Ghoste

What the Camaro could have been huh?  Makes sense since they were both a reaction to the phenomenal sales success of the 65 Mustangs.  GM whipped a me too up in a couple of years and Chrysler spent 5 years getting theirs ready.

Mike DC

IMHO the A-bodies are just a little too small.  And the E-boides are just a little too large.  (Particularly too wide.)

I've always wanted to build a custom-made Mopar B/E-body-based vehicle with the overall dimensions of the first-gen Camaro.  (wheelbase, length, width, roof height, cabin shape, overhangs . . . ALL of it.)  Keep the chassis using Mopar torsion bars & leaf springs, BB motors, etc. 

I think that would be truly ideal. 

Ghoste

Do you find the E-bodies any larger in size though than a Camaro or Mustang from 1970?

oldcarnut

When I drive my 69 Coronet R/T around there's the usual  :2thumbs:  but mostly from the my age group ( 40's and older) .  When I'm in the 70 challenger which is every day,  I can't take it anywhere without someone taking a cell phone pic or  :2thumbs: :2thumbs: or wanting to buy it but it comes from all ages.  Maybe because its smaller who kows. 

69_500

Quote from: Steve P. on July 15, 2008, 07:58:39 AM
Before we get tangled in the CAMARO looking Cuda, let's just remember that the "A" body BARRACUDA came out in 1964'.  ;)  That body came from a yet earlier A body.  What did the Mustang and Camaro come from??  :scratchchin: :think: :insertsarcasm:

Well the Mustang was originally based off of the Ford Falcon I know that. If you look at a first year Mustang, its pretty much just a Falcon with a few different panels. Interior is entirely the same, and that goes for the engine compartment, and the frame. Not sure on the Camaro though.

Ghoste

The Camaro came off of the Nova platform.

CaptMarvel

Well, the older 'Cudas were just cool with their big bubble back glass and then came the 70's with their downright mean looking stance and fish gills on the fender and grille. Whats not to love about them? Ill have to admit though, that they never were any better than Challengers. Both very cool!

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: CaptMarvel on July 17, 2008, 08:05:19 PM
Well, the older 'Cudas were just cool with their big bubble back glass and then came the 70's with their downright mean looking stance and fish gills on the fender and grille. Whats not to love about them? Ill have to admit though, that they never were any better than Challengers. Both very cool!
Very well put.  I remember how cool the bubble backs were in their time.  But the 71 is the coolest of all to me.  I had a Challenger 340.  I was on 3rd shift coming home late at night with my head leaning on the door glass just listening to the hummmm of the 340.  I took a glance at the tach and saw 5,000 rpm!   5,000 I thought?  I look over at the speedo and I'm going 110!  :o  I couldn't believe it.   Great memories.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

71ChallengeHer

When the Challenger was designed the engineers started with a Cougar.  ;) I've owned both Cuda's and Challenger. And of course a 69 Charger. When I had the Cudas , I always got nice Camaro. But with the Challengers, I always and still get nice Charger.  :shruggy:  Which doesn't insult me at all. I'm just surprized people can't read an emblem.  :slap:

max

Quote from: 71ChallengeHer on July 18, 2008, 07:41:35 AM
When I had the Cudas , I always got nice Camaro. But with the Challengers, I always and still get nice Charger.  :shruggy:  Which doesn't insult me at all. I'm just surprized people can't read an emblem.  :slap:

atleast i see it isn't an isolated commit. :eyes:

my Challenger is either called a Camaro or a Charger in the outside world.

as far as the popularity of the Cuda I believe it had to do with the marketing of the car back in 1970. it seems that the words Hemi Cuda went so well togeather that everyone picked up on it.