News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Any bicycle commuters here? PICS of my new bike added

Started by bull, July 06, 2008, 12:26:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

I'm seriously thinking about becoming a bicycle commuter for three reasons. 1. high gas prices 2. I need the exercise 3. My employer makes me go to work. :D I'm looking at getting a triathalon-type bike but I'm wondering if this is the kind to get. I'm not well-versed on bicycles yet so I need some general advice. All I know now is that they cost a lot of money but are really, really light and fast. It's about 16 miles to work and I rode 18 the other day on my mt bike just to see if I could do it. It wasn't that bad but I quickly realized I was riding a boat anchor compared to what most other commuters ride.

Here's one I'm looking at getting:

dads_69

Bull, I ride a 19 speed to work everyday now. It's an Icon, bought it for $10.00 at a garage sale. I'm guessing they didn't know what they had to sell, $2000.00 bike normally. Hey, who am I to say is that all you want for it? Never heard of the bike you have pictured, there are many new styles available now compared to when I used to ride hard core every day and kept up w/the latest and greatest bikes. last bike I had was a Cannondale advanced. $1600.00 in 1996 dollars.
Good for you also, getting in better shape, saving gas, you greenie you.....hahaha. It's all about saving more $$ for your charger buddy!

My advice, check out as many bike shops as possible before buying anything, as you know this, but compare and test ride, thats what I've always done before buying anything.

Mark
Hey, you can hate the game but don't hate the player.

bull

Yea, I've heard you should go to a bike shop first and it's good advice. I did get a rough idea of what size bike I should have so I'll have to fine tune that info with some help from the bike shop.

So how far do you ride to work, Mark?

dads_69

I only have to ride 4 miles round trip. Lucky me.....But I do stay in shape since I don't ride very far w/M/A's. After turning 40 last year, man, things really do change un-expectedly, ha-ha.
I also ordered a new GSX-R 750, 2009. Should be here by October, just in time for snow! Oh well, it'll look sweet sitting next to my Dart....

Trek, CannonDale, Gary Fisher are great bikes also for what your wanting, and under $1500.00.
I'm sure there are many other brands out there I'm un-aware of now also that are compatible in price and quality. Goodluck w/your new ride choice.

Mark

Edit: I'm also saving $$/gas, my truck gets 12 miles to the gallon, so I feel your pain.

bull

My mileage isn't horrible but 16 is nothing to brag about. I'm green alright, mostly regarding the amount of green in my wallet. :yesnod:

Orange_Crush

Bull.

Commuting on a tri bike may be a mistake.  Tri bikes are built for one thing, triathlons or time trials.  They are not comfortable (harsh) and the riding position will have you hurting after the day is over.  These bikes are built for one purpose...speed.  Let me put it to you another way...would you use a formula 1 car as your daily driver?

If all you want to do is cyclocommute, I recommend something with 700c wheels and a flat bar for a more upright riding position.  A rack is handy as well for the use of a trunk bag or panniers to carry a change of clothes if you need it.  Fenders are also a good idea for those wet roads. 

One of the more well thought-out commuter bikes I've seen is the Novarra Fusion http://www.rei.com/product/744803 which has all the aforementioned stuff as well as hub dynamo powered lights which work very well. and an internally geared hub so you don't have to screw with derailleurs. 

The Breezer Finesse is another great ride designed specifically for longer commutes http://www.breezerbikes.com/bike_details_finesse.cfm.

There are other good ones out there, but I recommend you stay away from dedicated race bikes for commuting.  Go to a bike shop and ansk for a test ride.  Take the bikes around the parking lot a few times and think about what you'd rather ride for 18 miles a day.

In any case, you're gonna love cyclocommuting.  Its addictive.  I unfrtunately can't do it because I live too far away from my place of business...but I ride wverywhere else.

I ain't got time for pain, the only pain I got time for is the pain i put on fools how don't know what time it is.

superduperbee

Check out the mountain bikes or hybrid bikes with shocks on them. You don't want to hit a curb or pothole with skinny triathlon wheels, and you want some traction especially if you get caught in the rain. Stay away from carbon fiber frames, those should be strictly for racing. I have an Aluminum Raleigh 21 speed, it's almost 20years old now. I've replaces tires, chains, seats and handgrips over the years but never bent the frame, and I weigh over 250 lbs.

bull

Hmmm. :scratchchin: Good points. Although a tri-bike might not be exactly what I need, I would like something fast and light to cover the distance I have to travel fairly quickly. I've got 12-15 miles to cover one way and I'd like to do it in less than an hour. You think those commuter-type bikes would work?

Orange_Crush

Commuter bikes will work fine for a commute like that.  If you want something a little faster and designed for long distances, you could get a touring bike which would have the fenders and racks so you could use panniers and bags but give you a faster ride.  They are not as "commute-friendly" though.

Just make sure you stick with 700c wheels (those are the big ones) for a faster ride and less rolling resistance.  Try to stick to a more upright riding position (allows you to turn your head more easily for better visibility and keeps your back straighter for more comfort...plus it takes weight off your arms reducing fatigue).  Keep the tires fairly narrow..again for less rolling resistance.

A commuter will be faster than your mountain bike on the road and more comfortable, but not as fast as an all out roadbike (but a lot more comfortable and practical).

Just remember that 19MPH on a dedicated roadbike is what's considered a "moderate to fast" pace meaning that if you're not in shape, you'll be hurtin.  My best suggestion for you is to ride your mountain bike to your office on your day off at a comfortable pace and see how long it takes.  16 miles is not a short commute and it will probably take you every bit of an hour riding at breakneck pace.
I ain't got time for pain, the only pain I got time for is the pain i put on fools how don't know what time it is.

bull

Yea, I need to try it out once with my current bike. I rode it roughly 13 miles the other day and it took me about an hour but I didn't time it exactly like I should have. I thought it was 18 miles like I wrote in the first post but turns out I calculated it wrong. :rotz: I need to get one of those mileage computers I guess.

What do you think of shaft drive bikes? http://www.dynamicbicycles.com/bikes/

Todd Wilson

Huffy at Wal Mart.  You need the excercise! The added weight will help you get into shape more!

Todd

bull

Quote from: Todd Wilson on July 06, 2008, 01:53:35 PM
Huffy at Wal Mart.  You need the excercise! The added weight will help you get into shape more!

Todd

:nana: My Mt bike weighs 36 lbs+ and soon I'll be adding a rear rack, fenders, lights and my full lunch box to it... I think that will be plenty.

Orange_Crush

I can't help you with the dynamic stuff...I don't really know anything about it, but I'm a bit of a retro-grouch so I'd rather stick to chains...that way, if sonething breaks, its easy to fix.

Orange_Crush

Bull, I found a good site for you to check out if you are planning on commuting by bike in Portland.

http://www.bta4bikes.org/

You are lucky because Portland drivers are among the best when it comes to their interactions with cyclists.  So many people ride in Portland that there is a pretty strong alliance of bike commuters out there and its a good place to get information and support.  I suggest you contact them and they can give you some protty good info regarding the best roads to take and the best bike for your commute.

Orange_Crush

You may especially want to check this out http://www.bta4bikes.org/resources/commute101.php

They have a series of workshops on commuting so you can get a lot of route and bike info. 

Pretty soon, you're gonna have dreadlocks, an eyebrow piercing, and a voter registration card with the word "Democratic" on it  :nana:

bull

Quote from: Orange_Crush on July 07, 2008, 08:09:56 AM
You may especially want to check this out http://www.bta4bikes.org/resources/commute101.php

They have a series of workshops on commuting so you can get a lot of route and bike info. 

Pretty soon, you're gonna have dreadlocks, an eyebrow piercing, and a voter registration card with the word "Democratic" on it  :nana:

:lol: Maybe the high gas prices are a liberal conspiracy to force everyone out of their SUVs and onto the bike paths. :D If so I guess it's working.

I'm seeing lots of friends and coworkers riding bikes lately who would never considered it before. Other than riding the buses I fix or buying a motorcycle I don't see much choice anymore. Like most people I know my wages aren't rising as fast as my expenses so I might as well get in shape while saving money.

Lowprofile

This is how you need to roll Bro.  :eek2: :D
"Its better to live one day as a Lion than a Lifetime as a Lamb".

"The final test of a leader is that he leaves behind him in other men the conviction and will to carry on."

Proud Owner of:
1970 Dodge Charger R/T
1993 Dodge Ram Charger
1998 Freightliner Classic XL

Marck

Quote from: Lowprofile on July 10, 2008, 01:16:31 AM

Priceless...  :smilielol: :smilielol:

Remember the pictures of your first trip...  ;)

bull

Quote from: Lowprofile on July 10, 2008, 01:16:31 AM

Wow! Does it come with a sequined jump suit?

Neal_J

I ride my bike to/from work on occassion.  My commute is about 8 miles roundtrip.

You can spend huge dollars for an ultra-light biike.  They're light, but not very sturdy or comfortable. Wal-Mart sells bikes for cheap, but they're junk. IMO, you're probably better off with sturdy, good-quality bike from a bike shop.  A decent bike will set you back $300-400 but it will last a lifetime.  I prefer a mountain bike for its sturdiness but without the knobby tires for less rolling resistance.  Because it's mostly city streets, the pothole, tree roots and other bumps are unpleasant and I appreciate the front shocks and fatass seat I use.  A back rack & collapsable side basket holds my briefcase & lunch.

In short, you can spend a bunch for the latest technology, spend a little for Wal-Mart crapola or do what I've proven many times over and spend something in the middle for good quality & longevity. 

Get a good helmet.

Neal

bull

That's pretty much what I did. I looked at several new hybrid and commuter bikes over the past week or so ranging in price from $330 to $599 and ended up buying a year-old bike off craigslist for $400. It's a 24-speed Gary Fisher hybrid with front shock suspension, disc brakes, 700c wheels, Shimano this and that, etc. This particular model sold for around $650 when it was new, and this one is in very good shape overall. The thing that sold me was the black. I love black! I have a few mods I want to do over the next couple days like try locating a suspension seat post and swapping out the Mt. bike handlebar stem for something that brings me up into a more upright position, or at least give me the option to go low or high with the grip like one of those adjustable stems do. It came with a real nice Specialized computer and head/tail lights and I've already added a rear rack, fenders, a new seat and a little cargo pack. I took it the 21-miles round trip to work today on my day off just to scout my route and see how it rides and feels. There's much more production with less effort compared to my old Mt. bike, even though it's only about 5 lbs lighter. Those wheels, tires and three extra gears make a difference. :yesnod: What I like best is that it runs on water and sandwiches!

derailed

Nice find Bull. I had the same problem when i bought my bike off craigslist last Spring. Bontrager makes a nice adjustable stem. You can find them on ebay alot pretty reasonable.

http://store.trekbikes.com/jump.jsp?itemID=1722&itemType=PRODUCT&path=1,2,442,451&iProductID=1722&bShopOnline=1

dads_69

Right on Bull. I laughed though when you typed *mods* soon to come. Can't leave anything alone can you! hahaha.....I can read the headline now, * did a dodge charger do that, I don't know, all I saw was a black flash*.  :D

Mark

Charged

I live in downtown Louisville where they steal these things constantly. So I cant recomend enough that you get a "U-Bolt" lockup (not chain or wire, those are easily cut) but also get some Huffy decals. No theif wants a Huffy, only Schwin or better.

472 R/T SE

Gettin' some new bars huh?  Might I suggest a set of these.  I hear they're really comfortable.  ;)

bull

Quote from: 472 R/T SE on July 12, 2008, 10:40:14 PM
Gettin' some new bars huh?  Might I suggest a set of these.  I hear they're really comfortable.  ;)

Yea, they look very ergonomic. :lol:

Neal_J

Nice bike.  I'd like to see a pics after the mods are made, particularly the handlebars you choose.  Until I read your post above, I'd never thought to change my mountain bike bars to something more comfortable/upright.  Thanks Bull

Neal

Orange_Crush

You done good. 

If I was you, I'd go ahead and pull off the inner and outer chainrings and front derailleur, its just another thing that can screw up and you will find yourself using the middle ring 99.999% of the time for commuting.  You can also get a giard for the chainring to keep your pant leg out of it.

If you go with a rack, use panniers instead of a trunk bag.  That'll keep your weight closer to the ground for a lower center of gravity and easier riding.  Also, pick up a headlight and blinkie light.  You gotta let people see you and reflectors don't do SQUAT!

As far as the bars go, just get a taller stem and a set of riser bars at the local bike shop.

Here is a good commuting forum. http://forums.roadbikereview.com/forumdisplay.php?f=76 You can learn a lot of helpful stuff there.

Good luck and enjoy!

BTW, how long is your commute (time wise) one way?

Todd Wilson

NIce looking bike. So the next question is how long will you ride it before you wuss out and get back in the car for the commute to work! HAHA!    :nana:

21 miles is a long ways!

Todd

bull

Quote from: Todd Wilson on July 14, 2008, 09:51:14 PM
NIce looking bike. So the next question is how long will you ride it before you wuss out and get back in the car for the commute to work! HAHA!    :nana:

21 miles is a long ways!

Todd

I don't know. We should do a pool. Everyone kick in $50 and send it to me for a chance to win big. :icon_smile_tongue:

Quote from: Orange_Crush on July 14, 2008, 11:40:07 AM
You done good.

If I was you, I'd go ahead and pull off the inner and outer chainrings and front derailleur, its just another thing that can screw up and you will find yourself using the middle ring 99.999% of the time for commuting. You can also get a giard for the chainring to keep your pant leg out of it.

If you go with a rack, use panniers instead of a trunk bag. That'll keep your weight closer to the ground for a lower center of gravity and easier riding. Also, pick up a headlight and blinkie light. You gotta let people see you and reflectors don't do SQUAT!

As far as the bars go, just get a taller stem and a set of riser bars at the local bike shop.

Here is a good commuting forum. http://forums.roadbikereview.com/forumdisplay.php?f=76 You can learn a lot of helpful stuff there.

Good luck and enjoy!

BTW, how long is your commute (time wise) one way?

My commute time-wise one way is anywhere from 40-50 minutes. Today it was only about 30 because I took the bus up the hills for about 3 miles of my 10-mile trip to work. :laugh: I just about gave myself heat exhaustion (or maybe I did) by riding 20+ miles in 95-degree weather a few days ago (mentioned above) so I'm going to take it easy for a few days.

Orange_Crush

That's great!  You can do mixed bus/bike commuting.

40-50 minutes is pretty good.  Many cyclists struggle to get 2 hours of riding in per day, you can do it going to work.  You're going to find yourself in great shape in a month or two.  You may even find that you'll get to the point where you can eat pretty well and still lose weight.

Enjoy it Bull...this is the best thing you can do for yourself.

bull

Right now it's aches and pains but if I stick with it I'll be a machine. :icon_smile_evil:

Charger_Fan

That's a good looking bike, I like the disc brakes & suspension.
I need to find a job closer to home, so I can do that. Right now, it's 39 miles each way...with a couple really long hills in between. :eek2:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)