News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Sold car, New owner driving it home 2200 miles. Is he crazy?

Started by DodgeChargerNeeded, July 05, 2008, 06:55:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DodgeChargerNeeded

I sold a charger today and the guy decided to fly in from Reno, NV and drive it home from Michigan. I strongly advised against it since the car had never really been road tested but he did it anyway. Left 2 hours ago with it. I just don't want to get a phone call saying you know this car you sold me broke down and i need help or something along those lines. What is the proper thing to do in this situation.
Jeff

Finn

1968 Dodge Charger 440, EFI, AirRide suspension
1970 Dodge Challenger RT/SE 383 magnum
1963 Plymouth Savoy 225 with a 3 on the tree.
2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L

pettyfan43

Man all you can do is remind the guy that YOU ADVISE him NOT to do that.

Shakey

QuoteWhat is the proper thing to do in this situation.

Take some of the money he left you with and go out for a steak dinner at a nice restaurant and then on the town for a few drinks.

Leave your cell phone at home.

G-man

Have faith in your car!

I baught ages ago a 1972 Valiant Charger.

Car was rusty in spots, holes in other spots, engine was a 245ci Hemi straight 6. (never been rebuilt since 1972) had like 200 000miles on it, carb/engine was all brown (had oil stains on it to)... Didnt leak and water wasnt leaking, took 5-6 tries to get it started... when it started, i went on MANY 100 mile trips (there and back making 200miles) easily adding up to 1000+, never touched the car, sold as is eventually, drove beautiful. Never even thought "will the engine die or overheat". Drove in 90 degree temp, drove in cold, I used the sucker like a normal efi car. Never had problems with it. No air con, no tinted glass either.

Windows down and sweat like a pig but whocares.

I think u need FAITH in your car... they definately can do the distance and more.

FLG

Yep i agree with G-Man...for some reason it seems you can drive a beater for years but as long as ya have faith in her she always gets there...some even will tell ya when they wont make it by not starting when your ready to leave  :D

HKCharger

charger01

Quote from: FLG on July 05, 2008, 08:15:21 PM
Yep i agree with G-Man...for some reason it seems you can drive a beater for years but as long as ya have faith in her she always gets there...some even will tell ya when they wont make it by not starting when your ready to leave  :D

That works for everyone but me I think. :-\My buddies can drive beaters for years and have no problems with them.  Give one to me and they break down immediately. 

DodgeChargerNeeded

I don't care how nice of a car or how new of a car, If you take a long trip you can have anything happen. Parts are made to break and go bad.
Jeff

PocketThunder

My 68 was just picked up at 6:30pm tonight on its way to New Zealand.  He's not driving the whole way though.   ;)
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

craigandlynda

reminds me of the only bust that can go across the ocean.....columbus ::)

ITSA426

I've driven them home several times.  Only occasional minor problems.  When you pull into your driveway you feel like you really know the car and the experience is priceless.

suntech

You did what you felt was right, and tryed to talk him out of it, but i admit tht i would have taken off in it myself, if it was drivable.
I mean, for normal cruising, it doesnt take much to keep it running, and spare oil, water and a fanbelt, and basic tools would keep you from beeing stranded somewhere in most cases.
Yes, ofcause a spare wheel.  :2thumbs:
But the feeling you have when you pull up your driveway, after a roadtrip like that, is priceless!!!!!! He was just going to drive it, not fly it, so you are off the hook!!!
He will have somthing to tell his grandkids when he gets old :2thumbs:
Since we only live once, and all this is not just a dressed rehearsal, but the real thing............ Well, enjoy it!!!!

HKCharger

I mean who wouldnt want to drive a charger across country? :yesnod:

69chargeryeehaa

i did it, it was a BLAST  :2thumbs: :coolgleamA: :nana: :D
after selling my first charger, i wanted another so bad.  posted a wanted add on here, got a reply that made me loose sleep.  Booked a 1-way ticket to Minnesota, bought the car in 30 secs, worked on it for 2 days in parking lots, drove from Minnesota to Toronto, Canada in a 40yr old car, trunk FULL of parts, heat stuck on a bit in 100+Deg temps, no radio, rear end was toast and shook like crazy at 64mph+, it was HOT AS HELL, did i mention is was HOT???  14" magnums with a 3.91 gear, 3400rpms at 60mph, it was HOT, but i LOVED IT!!!!! 

here's the pic that made me loose sleep.  I figured one way or another i'll get it home, my plan was to get a u-haul and trailer if it died on me....but the experience was PRICELESS, and the trip went flawless, 1200+mi no real issues, but me and the car really bonded; this ones a KEEPER.  :D :coolgleamA:

DodgeChargerNeeded

Well I am assuming he is doing fine on his trip. He did call once last night at 830pm about 150 miles away and said he stopped for gas and it wouldn't start like the battery was dead. I told him I had never had a problem with it, It always started right up even after sitting. He said well I'll get a jump and get going. Its 430pm now and I haven't heard anything all day so I am assuming no news is good news. I would feel bad if something did happen but I guess by now its not my problem anymore. I still won't rest easy until he gets it home either driving or hauling it hopefully it doesn't come to that.
Jeff

suntech

I did a bonding trip with my car too!! Me and my daughter flew in to Chicago, and drove the car to Bay City, stayed the weekend there for a boatrace, and then down to Reading, PA.
Great trip, and no issues!!  :2thumbs:
Since we only live once, and all this is not just a dressed rehearsal, but the real thing............ Well, enjoy it!!!!

General_01

In 1989 I bought my '71 Superbee from a guy in Great Falls, MT. Flew in one way and drove the car back to Minneapolis, MN with my cousin. We still talk about that trip to this day.
1971 Dodge Charger Super Bee
496 stroker
4-speed

Big Lebowski

"Let me explain something to you, um i am not Mr. Lebowski, you're Mr. Lebowski. I'm the dude, so that's what you call me. That or his dudeness, or duder, or you know, el duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing."

challenger70

Quote from: 69chargeryeehaa on July 06, 2008, 01:40:16 PM
i did it, it was a BLAST  :2thumbs: :coolgleamA: :nana: :D
after selling my first charger, i wanted another so bad.  posted a wanted add on here, got a reply that made me loose sleep.  Booked a 1-way ticket to Minnesota, bought the car in 30 secs, worked on it for 2 days in parking lots, drove from Minnesota to Toronto, Canada in a 40yr old car, trunk FULL of parts, heat stuck on a bit in 100+Deg temps, no radio, rear end was toast and shook like crazy at 64mph+, it was HOT AS HELL, did i mention is was HOT???  14" magnums with a 3.91 gear, 3400rpms at 60mph, it was HOT, but i LOVED IT!!!!! 

here's the pic that made me loose sleep.  I figured one way or another i'll get it home, my plan was to get a u-haul and trailer if it died on me....but the experience was PRICELESS, and the trip went flawless, 1200+mi no real issues, but me and the car really bonded; this ones a KEEPER.  :D :coolgleamA:

:iagree:  I bought my Challenger just outside San Francisco in Oakland.  The guy thought I was nuts driving a tired 30 year old car 3,000+ miles back to Chicago, still tells people about it 7 years later.  I must say it was the best trip I have ever been on.  Checked the oil every gas stop(about every hour with a 440 and 3.91's doing 75+)  Made it all the way home w/ out a single problem :2thumbs:  I told the car if you make it home you will get the best of everything and it did.  Every car guy needs to do something like that, forms an instant bond with your car and a great way to see the country.   My Charger I just bought locally and I am kind of sorry I did.
'68 383 A833 QQ1 Charger
'70  440 727 FY1 Challenger

gordo1968charger

i drove mine home too,only 130 miles,but my 2 boys loved it as well,specially as they did nt know i was getting it.
manchester  to thornaby(uk)
i loved the attention the car got too.
68 charger+4 kids=2 jobs

elanmars

i flew to north carolina and drove my car from there back to louisiana. lone wolf.
it was fun!

even though back then i REALLY didn't know much about cars, AT ALL. so it was a bit scary...

but i'd do it again, hell yeah.
1969 Dodge Charger, pseudo General Lee., 1973 ratty Dodge Charger.

check out my photography: http://www.tomasraul.com
instagram: tomasraul
facebook: www.facebook.com/tomasraulphotography

SeattleCharger

Quote from: Shakey on July 05, 2008, 07:40:14 PM

QuoteWhat is the proper thing to do in this situation.

Take some of the money he left you with and go out for a steak dinner at a nice restaurant and then on the town for a few drinks.

Leave your cell phone at home.

:2thumbs:    :lol:

Why would you want anything else?  Just give me a Charger and I'll be happy.

SeattleCharger

Quote from: PocketThunder on July 05, 2008, 09:47:46 PM
My 68 was just picked up at 6:30pm tonight on its way to New Zealand.  He's not driving the whole way though.   ;)

sold my 68 two weeks ago and it was being shipped off to australia, same deal.

but to cheer myself up I got this soon after:    97 Fatboy,  11,900 miles on it from 71 year old man,  its fun, good mpg too, loud and lopey cam, not a 440, but fun to get on the 1340 cc's let me tell ya

Why would you want anything else?  Just give me a Charger and I'll be happy.

challenger70

Quote from: elanmars on July 07, 2008, 11:50:04 AM
i flew to north carolina and drove my car from there back to louisiana. lone wolf.
it was fun!

even though back then i REALLY didn't know much about cars, AT ALL. so it was a bit scary...

but i'd do it again, hell yeah.

I hear that I knew basics like checking fluids/belts/hoses but  I would have been screwed if I had had a real problem.  I had to call my dad to figure out what the hell that button on the floor(high beams) was :shruggy: :smilielol:  I was 22 and had never been in an old car like my Challenger.
'68 383 A833 QQ1 Charger
'70  440 727 FY1 Challenger