News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

is my voltage regulator doing this

Started by onebadmopar, July 02, 2008, 06:41:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

onebadmopar

hi guys im noticing something  with my gauges i thought my car was running hot and im trying to figure it out but i notcied something odd at idle it runs 210 when warmed up well i took it for a ride  it went up to alsmot 230 but i also noticed my volt meter was reading over 14 volts when i let off the gas the volt meter came down and so did the temp needle now im not running factory gauges im running after markets with elctric volts fuel and water temp its a 69 charger and i upgrade the igniton to electronic with the mopar performance distributor and box but it still has the mechanical voltage regulator is this causin what appears to be a spike in the system all this time we thought car was running hot now im not so sure since it never boils over ..how hard is it to upgrade to the newstyle voltage regulator

Nacho-RT74

reg it could be the prob, but is just one of the dozen posibilities around. Remember you have also a voltage limiter on dash board that must feed with 5 volts

One thing for sure... elect ign needs elect regulator for GOOD working job. need a goooooood average voltage to a propper function.

to the upgrade needs:
-double field alt.
-extra wire to run to the new alt field splicing from blue wire at ballast or reg itself
-elect reg ( of course )
-elect reg plug ( of course )

Or you can:
upgrade to those newer elect regulator with old mechanical reg look ( internals upgrade to transistors, from the internal relay ), but DOES LOOK some of those units overcharge. So will be a tryal and error until find a nice one.

Also you can save from the new double field alt just drilling a hole on alt back housing to insert the new brush with isolator. Some 69 does have already the provision for the isolator and brush since recently read about 69 C bodies were already equipped with elect regulators from factory. Then of course still needs the rest of stuff.

There are already lots of threads about, on some I'm already posting diagrams, so make a quick search and will find them
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

onebadmopar

voltage limiter isnt used now nacho because i built a custom dash using all after market electrif gauges i plan on doing te up grade on vr tomorrow  thanks

onebadmopar

i went and bought elctronic voltage regulator and pig tail today i believe i have single field alternator theres one green wire running from the back of alternator to the mechanical voltage regulator then there are two wires on the otherside of mechanical regulator.. the pig tail has 2 wires a green and blue am i to assume that  green goes to green and that the 2 blues get connected to the single blue one on the new pig tail i hate to start cutting wires till i know for sure seeing how this is a new harness keeping in mind i now have elctronic ignition installed

Nacho-RT74

search for threads about and will find diagrams, but will make an advance.

-You can't match a single field alt with an elec reg, at least without mod the alt.
-One blue wire need to be run up to the new prong on alt that wasn't on the one field alt before.
-The blue wire will run constant positive from ign switch and NOW THE GREEN WIRE would run regulated negative coming directly from reg. On single field alts, the green is/was regulated POSITIVE and then the non pronged brush takes the contant negativedirectly from alt. chassis
-Of course, Reg needs to be feeded tooo with a blue wire source to make it work.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html