News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Help in identifying model derivative on a ‘72

Started by Carrots, July 01, 2008, 09:30:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carrots

Gentlemen,

I have just bought a '72 charger and I am looking to find out whether I have a standard car or an 'SE'.  I think its the former, but I'd like to be sure as the guy I bought it from did not know a lot of its history (he totally restored it having 'found' it in a barn back in the 90's). I have decoded the VIN online and found out that it was/is a "High" price version and it is listed as a 2 door HT. Neither of these things answer my question (I think?) so I am wondering what else I coud look for to determine the cars model related roots. The original 318 motor was swapped for a 383 magnum so looking under the hood won't help and the car was repainted.   

Appreciate your help here, and look forward to swinging by here now that I've manned up...

a lascivious taste for the grotesque, the painfully paradoxical, the questionable and the absurd.

craigandlynda

not absolutely certain, but the rear windows on standard cars were fixed windows; the se had roll-downs...i'm not absolutely sure on this...also, was there an se emblem on the plastic dash cover above the glove compartment? se hood ornament?

Carrots

Thank you Sir. No badges anywhere on the exterior and just 'Charger' on the glove box. If the window theory turns up true then I guess I do indeed have a standard car.
a lascivious taste for the grotesque, the painfully paradoxical, the questionable and the absurd.

craigandlynda

i think the se also came w 3 speed wipers, standard was 2...of course, that could have been switched...

Carrots

I've not had any rain yet (only had the car a week or so) but I will check that out also. Could post some pics but there seems to be a low limit on pixel size here.

Brock Samson

Carrots

Here goes....

Carrots

and a couple more...

BMOTOXSTAR

:2thumbs:
Welcome my fellow 3rd gen owner. :cheers:
73' Dodge Rallye Charger 400/4BBL
06' Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4X4 HEMI
15' Dodge Dart 2.7 SXT

superblu72

Not an SE. Did your vin start out WH23? WP29 would be an SE. Here's a pic of a 72 SE.

Carrots

All rather conclusive then. Thanks folks.

I'm new to Chargers (and Mopars) and also new to the US. I'm curious as to her ciurrent set up. This is what I was told....

"The motor was bored .030 over and had the bottom end balanced. It has a considerable cam in it to give you that big block rumble which is helped out by the competition hooker headers. It has the MSD complete HEI ignition system. 727 torque flight trans and a 8 3/4 suregrip rear end with 3.50 gears and a posi"

Any comments or suggestions regarding that? She seems to shift OK but I have plenty of time on my hands to tinker... (although presently most of the above could be in Dutch as far as I'm concerned).

Chargers 101 anyone?  :eyes:

72charger440

superblu72 i believe is correct the window looks on the 72 SE came like the 1 in the pic he has and  and i have a 72 SE and my window scheme  is the same  , but the Vin needs 2 be WP29 for it 2 be an SE yours could be the top of the line base model but not an SE ,but i could be wrong , cool car though .:2thumbs:  3rd gen chargers rule!!!!!!
72 charger SE 440 big block  
mopar or no car!!!!

Nacho-RT74

Your is a Hartop with added on concelead headlamps grilles... dunno fo from fact or added later by owner.

Concelead headlamps grilles were standart equipment just on 71/72 SEs and optional on all the rest
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

NHCharger

Quote from: 72charger440 on July 02, 2008, 12:25:38 AM
:2thumbs:  3rd gen chargers rule!!!!!!

:iagree: :iagree:

Welcome to the site. Nice looking Charger, but them again I'm a little biased.
If your Charger still has its fender tag post it here and we can tell you what your Charger was equipped with when it came from the factory. The VIN only gives you the basics.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone- current moneypit
79 Lil Red Express - future moneypit
88 Ramcharger 4x4-moneypit in waiting
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

Carrots

Thanks chaps, always nice to have a warm welcome. Where might I find the fender tag that you speak of? (oh and if someone can give the low down on the current setup - as above - then I'd appreciate it) I know what some of that means but no idea on if I should be thinking about changing anything. She rides well enough but as my first charger I have nothing to compare the existing characteristics/performance against. She has a 383 mag that put outs just under 400hp (according to previous owner). Engines 101 please (spent far too much time behind a desk in my formative years ::).

72charger440

the fender tag is located under the hood drivers side near the radiator  u will see a piece  of metal  with a bunch of numbers on it, thats the fender tag :2thumbs:
mopar or no car!!!!

Carrots

Ok found the tag...

V7X 26 END
M25 M28 M31 M36 R11
N51 J25 J52 L31 L37 M21
V4W U B41 B51 G11 G37
FE5 S2T5 HT8 204 138093
E44 D34 WH23G2G1165402

Some of it is hard to decipher so the S may be a 5, the first V could be a Y and the N51 could be M51?

Help with what I have (or had) would be appreciated. Oh and my rear windows do in fact go up and down...........

Thanks folks

NHCharger

26- 26" radiator
vx7- accent stripe-black
r11- AM radio
m36- rear bumper periphery
m31- belt & hood moldings
m28- front bumper periphery
m25- wide sill molding
m21- roof drip rail molding
l37- concealed headlights
l31- hood/fender mount turn signals
j52- inside hood release
j25- 3 speed wipers
n51- max engine cooling ??
g37- left hand remote, right hand manual mirrors
g11- tinted glass, all
b51- power assist brakes
b41front disc brakes
u- built to specs for USA order
v4w- white canopy roof
138093- order number
204- build date feb. 4, 1972
ht8- upper door frame ????
s2t5- trim grade-S=sport, style-2=vinyl seats, color-T5= saddle tan
fe5- paint code, bright red/rally red
116540- sequence number
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone- current moneypit
79 Lil Red Express - future moneypit
88 Ramcharger 4x4-moneypit in waiting
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

71_Charger_R/T

Quote from: NHCharger on July 03, 2008, 07:48:31 PM
26- 26" radiator
vx7- accent stripe-black
r11- AM radio
m25- wide sill molding
l31- hood/fender mount turn signals
j52- inside hood release
j25- 3 speed wipers
n51- max engine cooling ??
g37- left hand remote, right hand manual mirrors
g11- tinted glass, all
b51- power assist brakes
b41front disc brakes
u- built to specs for USA order
v4w- white canopy roof
138093- order number
204- build date feb. 4, 1972
ht8- upper door frame ????
s2t5- trim grade-S=sport, style-2=vinyl seats, color-T5= saddle tan
fe5- paint code, bright red/rally red
116540- sequence number

You beat me to the punch, Either you started earlier or you type faster than me.... probably type faster. Not hard to do!

71_Charger_R/T

Only thing you forgot...
E44 = 230 Horse 318 2 barrel engine
D34 = Standard duty torqueflight transmission

Carrots

Thank you both very much indeed.  Could N51 be A/C? I'm pretty sure it had it but can't see it on the list.

konigcharger

its H51 A/C :yesnod:

looks like you own a Charger Topper  :2thumbs:

If you have no vision or creative spirit, you can always fall back on the way the factory did it.

Carrots

72charger440

yep i think u do have a charger topper their.  i think what the charger topper was dodge gave a vinyl top for free on a charger model i have a pic of an origanal ad below
mopar or no car!!!!

Carrots

Oh OK I didn't know about that variant. Unfortunately though I have major problems that having a Topper can't fix..... :brickwall:

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,45987.0.html

bryansgarage

Standard 72 Charger's have the swept up window.

konigcharger

it was a mid year promotional campain by dodge

when you paid for these:

m25- wide sill molding
j52- inside hood release

you got this free:

v4w- white canopy roof

acompained by a build date of late Jan.- march

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iv0vYc1x6po

If you have no vision or creative spirit, you can always fall back on the way the factory did it.

Carrots

Thanks for the extra info Sir, doesn't sound like the deal of the century though!

One thing that seems a little odd is that I have a hard top - now whilst I know that the car is far from original swapping the original canopy roof out and then reforming the shell seems like restoration gone wild to me.  Unless I'm misinterpreting what a canopy roof actually is that is........ ::)

konigcharger

sorry, i should clarify...

so i made you this nifty picture

Carrots

Thank you!

My current roof looks like none of those so certainly some food for thought there!  :eyes:

konigcharger

Quote from: Carrots on July 05, 2008, 12:18:01 PM
Thanks for the extra info Sir, doesn't sound like the deal of the century though!

One thing that seems a little odd is that I have a hard top - now whilst I know that the car is far from original swapping the original canopy roof out and then reforming the shell seems like restoration gone wild to me. Unless I'm misinterpreting what a canopy roof actually is that is........ ::)

it wasn't actually that bad of a deal i think the topper package was less than $200 a vinyl top alone(very popular in the 70's) cost like $100