News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

I get my motor back today!

Started by Hemidoug, June 27, 2008, 06:35:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hemidoug

Can't wait to get it back in and fire it up! The porting turned out nice, got new springs, retainers, and pushrods. The valve geometry is dead on now, along with new bearings and rings and upped the C/R to 10:1. We went through the motor with a fine tooth comb and fixed a lot of little "things" that were overlooked the last time. I'm figuring another 50-100 HP was found in the motor....should have those wheels in the air now! :icon_smile_big:
71 R/T 440 6pak, 4spd Mr Norms GSD

CB

Quote....should have those wheels in the air now!

... and crap your paints?  :nana: :D
j/k
Hope you enjoy your new power plant!!
CB
1968 Dodge Coronet 500

BrianShaughnessy

Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

Hemidoug

Quote from: BrianShaughnessy on June 27, 2008, 08:04:53 AM

Gonna be ready for Pinks!!!  :icon_smile_cool:

Oh...you know it! I have some tweeking to do, but I'll be pulling the tires for Pinks for sure! I'm going to fire her with the stock manifold and put a couple of miles on her, then after the 4th the "new" intake and carbs go on......Stage V and dual 750 AFBs.  I wanted to go with Holleys but had to spend the money on the motor. That manifold is good for another 30 hp...should be a blast!

hemi68charger

Sweet Doug !!!!  Look forward in hearing you got her all back and fired up.... And the YouTube video you'll be making...........    :icon_smile_big:

Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Hemidoug

Thanks Troy! How's that gorgeous 68 coming along? I saw the new paint on her...she's going to look  :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: when she's done......
You know...you could always come up to NJ and run the camera for me....then you can see it in real time! :D

hemi68charger

Quote from: Hemidoug on June 27, 2008, 08:41:26 AM
Thanks Troy! How's that gorgeous 68 coming along? I saw the new paint on her...she's going to look  :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: when she's done......
You know...you could always come up to NJ and run the camera for me....then you can see it in real time! :D

It's coming along... I didn't go out there yesterday for it's nearly a 30 mile trip one way..  According to Bill, he was going to hang all the sheetmetal back on yesterday and paint her.. Sooooo, I'm hoping today when I go out there to check her out and take pics, she'll be all together...............

I would love to head up to Jersey, would be cool to see ya'll up there and get away from this heat and humidity..............

Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Hemidoug

I think I'm just as excited as you to see the end result....make sure you take LOTS of pictures! :2thumbs:

firefighter3931

That's good news Doug....glad to hear you made some "upgrades" while it was apart  :cheers:

The compression bump is a step in the right direction, for sure !  :yesnod:

Curious about the valve springs....were they too soft for the roller cam ? The cracked piston caused by valvefloat ?  :scratchchin:

Ron

Ps. We're on for LVD in Sept but i have to ask....how many car lengths are yopu gonna spot me  :D  :lol:
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Hemidoug

Yea Ron...weak valve springs coupled with no spring cup allowed the valve float. The springs beat the titanium retainers up pretty bad. lots of metal got into the oil and wiped the bearings. Needed better pushrods as well as work the kinks out of the geometry. The pistons were making slight contact with the edge of the head (to thin a head gasket). The rings were washed and the guides were sloppy so she was sucking oil....No wonder I was only mid 12s. The guy did a fantastic job of porting (I'll try to get some pics). I know there was a ton of HP found...guess we will see just how much.... :D

Car Lenghts......you don't need no stinkin car lenghts..... :nana: :D

We could always do the dial/bracket thing....

firefighter3931

Geez Doug, sounds like the big Elephant was sick inside !  :eek2:

So, did you scoop the engine & get it home yet ?  :scratchchin:

Quote from: Hemidoug on June 27, 2008, 09:40:59 AM
Car Lenghts......you don't need no stinkin car lenghts..... :nana: :D

You're right....heads-up it is (or will be)  :icon_smile_big:

Quote from: Hemidoug on June 27, 2008, 09:40:59 AM

We could always do the dial/bracket thing....

That wouldn't really be in the spirit of a Hemi vs Wedge  shootout would it ?  ;)

Ron

68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Hemidoug

LOL...I don't know..I could spot the wedge a car lenght or 2 to even things out a bit...LOL

The engine and trans went in last night....putting everything else back together today. Had to come inside and have a sandwich and a brew....

My Stage V manifold won't fit with an aircleaner..not sure what I'm going to do about that one. I'm putting the stock manifold on for now. I should fire her up tonight or tomorrow.....

tan top

awesome stuff Doug  :yesnod:  can't wait to see & hear it run  on youtube  :drool5: ............. ;)
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Hemidoug

Well...I learned an important lesson today....Mini starters and Lakewood bell housings don't play nice.... :brickwall: Spent about 3 hours tonight trying to get the thing to turn over but no joy. The starter never came close enough to the flywheel to grab. I finally installed the original starter (what a be-ouch) and got her to turn over. I'll fire it up tomorrow when I'm fresh.....

Steve P.

Ron was telling me about your sick hemi. I am very happy to hear that it is out of the recovery room and well on it's way to the asphalt jungle once again.   

As I was reading through the thread I looked up a few times to see what time you posted. I was thinking you just about had her going the last time you posted.

What is the trouble with the mini starter/ lakewood housing??  I was under the impression that the mini's had trouble rubbing some blocks and headers. This is the first I've heard about a bell problem.  :scratchchin:

Well brother, keep us up on the info. 

Best of luck...   :cheers:
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

472 R/T SE

Quote from: Hemidoug on June 28, 2008, 02:07:21 PM

My Stage V manifold won't fit with an aircleaner..not sure what I'm going to do about that one. I'm putting the stock manifold on for now. I should fire her up tonight or tomorrow.....

I asked you about that about three times between here and 'parts and never got a response.  My Stage V baseplate was from ForHemisOnly. 

When I was planning the motor install in the Daytona tribute I thought I remember them saying there were Stage V base plates for the '69 and earlier lid assembly.  :shruggy:

69bronzeT5

Awesome! Now dont break it before Pinks :nana:
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

Hemidoug

Steve,

The problem with the mini starter is for my combo I can't get the starter close enough to (or far enough away from) the flywheel to grab. There are 3 different starter positions and none of them seem to work. I would think that if you had a standard Chrysler to begin with then it would work, but the starter that is used on 69 and below Hemi 4 spd cars is different. It may be OK with a 10.5 inch flywheel, but not with the 11 inch.

472 R/T SE

Sorry 'bout that. I probably didn't answer because I don't have an answer as of yet. I tried a couple of different ones but none fit. Not much I could do until I got the motor back in the car anyway. I know they sell a base plate for the round aircleaner, but at 450 buck it's kind of pricey just to find out if it works or not. I'm not sure which direction I will go in yet, I may just limit the use to the track with no aircleaner......

Well....now I'm going to go fire her up....I'll let you guys know how she runs!

firefighter3931

Doug, how much taller than stock is the Stage V intake ? Any possibility of running a pair of 5 in filters on the 2 carbs ?

Ron

Troy

Quote from: firefighter3931 on June 29, 2008, 12:31:41 PM
Doug, how much taller than stock is the Stage V intake ? Any possibility of running a pair of 5 in filters on the 2 carbs ?

Ron
I think it's about 5/8" taller (I'd measure but I sold mine). It definitely doesn't fit under the stock Charger hood (easily). I measured one on a Coronet with a six pack hood and the air cleaner was all the way up inside the scoop - but he also said that his motor mounts raised the engine about another 1/2" (not stock - Schumacher?). You could purchase a shorter air filter but these things already have trouble breathing. The carbs are in a different location as well so the studs don't hit the right spot on the air cleaner. Some place in Canada was making a round base plate I thought so maybe they have the adapter for the studs as well.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

firefighter3931

Quote from: Troy on June 29, 2008, 12:44:16 PM
Quote from: firefighter3931 on June 29, 2008, 12:31:41 PM

Ron
I think it's about 5/8" taller (I'd measure but I sold mine). It definitely doesn't fit under the stock Charger hood (easily). I measured one on a Coronet with a six pack hood and the air cleaner was all the way up inside the scoop - but he also said that his motor mounts raised the engine about another 1/2" (not stock - Schumacher?). You could purchase a shorter air filter but these things already have trouble breathing. The carbs are in a different location as well so the studs don't hit the right spot on the air cleaner. Some place in Canada was making a round base plate I thought so maybe they have the adapter for the studs as well.

Troy

Thanks Troy.....i guess the next course of action would be for Doug to contact FHO and see how much his drop base lowers the air cleaner assembly.  :yesnod:

Geez....$450 for a drop base ain't cheap !  :P

From the FHO website Q&A section :

"What intake should I use on the street?

We still recommend the cross-ram for many of our pro-street engines, and the Barton dominator intake for single four barrel applications. Another option now available is the new STAGE V inline single plane. It can use dual Holleys or Carters, and allows the use of factory breathers/shakers etc. (modification of baseplate required)or use a new FHO stamped steel baseplate. This manifold can be used for upgraded performance with it's much improved cylinder to cylinder fuel distribution or when the factory street hemi manifold is unavailable. "

I suppose the stock base could be modified to fit  :scratchchin:

Ron

Troy

Is that drop base new? I don't remember them having it before. It would certainly help if you could get the air cleaner back down to the stock location without losing air moving capacity.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Hemidoug

Quote from: Troy on June 29, 2008, 02:24:58 PM
Is that drop base new? I don't remember them having it before. It would certainly help if you could get the air cleaner back down to the stock location without losing air moving capacity.

Troy

Troy,
The problem isn't so much the overall hight (not much different the stock) but where the carbs end up. The back carb is located father aft, which shifts it closer to the cross brace on the rear of the hood. At this point I don't think a drop down base plate would even work. I'll stick to the stock manifold for the street and the Stage V for the track. It doesn't take a whole lot of time and effort to switch back and forth (after all isn't that what street and strip is all about?). The trick is to have a set of carbs for each setup, that way once they are dialed in they stay that way.

BTW...got it fired but it's been a fight. Still dealing with starter issues and some other bugs. I'll charge the batt up and take it for a ride after a shower and dinner.....

472 R/T SE

FHO has carried the base plates since before I bought my motor, winter '05.  I was asking Doug about the Stage V intake before cause I was wondering about his hood clearance with the round lid.  Mine has a decent drop to it.  I "think" the guys' with issues are the aftermarket motor mount folks, tho my Schumacher mounts & factory lookin' lid clear.

I know he likes the factory appearance but if all else fails he can use the FHO '70 and newer baseplate with his six pack lid from his '71 like mine.  FHO Tim or Cassel will know what works.

http://stores.casselent.com/Detail.bok?no=264

Or buy this one http://stores.casselent.com/Detail.bok?no=176 and run it for PINKS and I'll buy the base plate from you when you're done.  Mine doesn't have the lip that surrounds it.

Hemidoug

Quote from: 472 R/T SE on June 29, 2008, 04:09:32 PM
FHO has carried the base plates since before I bought my motor, winter '05.  I was asking Doug about the Stage V intake before cause I was wondering about his hood clearance with the round lid.  Mine has a decent drop to it.  I "think" the guys' with issues are the aftermarket motor mount folks, tho my Schumacher mounts & factory lookin' lid clear.

I know he likes the factory appearance but if all else fails he can use the FHO '70 and newer baseplate with his six pack lid from his '71 like mine.  FHO Tim or Cassel will know what works.

http://stores.casselent.com/Detail.bok?no=264

Or buy this one http://stores.casselent.com/Detail.bok?no=176 and run it for PINKS and I'll buy the base plate from you when you're done.  Mine doesn't have the lip that surrounds it.

Yea...I talked to the guy at casselent...he wants 400 buck for the basepate and the top adaptors....a lot of coin for somethng that may or may not work..... I'm using the Schumacher poly lock mounts which are a 1/2 taller....even less clearence. I don't know what I'm going to do yet.....I may try and go with a short stack and screen type of arrangement. I have a friend who owns a speed shop who is going to look into that. I tried the Edlebrock low profile triangle shaped on and that was too tall.....I don't think I will be able to use that manifold on the street...... :brickwall: