News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

I get my motor back today!

Started by Hemidoug, June 27, 2008, 06:35:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

firefighter3931

Quote from: 472 R/T SE on June 29, 2008, 04:09:32 PM
http://stores.casselent.com/Detail.bok?no=264

Holy Crap Mike.....$829 for an aircleaner !!!  :o  :o :o :faint: My God, that is beyond outrageous !  :icon_smile_blackeye:

I really feel for you hemi guys  :pity:

Quote from: Hemidoug on June 29, 2008, 03:46:12 PM
BTW...got it fired but it's been a fight. Still dealing with starter issues and some other bugs. I'll charge the batt up and take it for a ride after a shower and dinner.....

So Doug, how is it running ?

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Hemidoug

Hey Ron,
Took it out to put some gas in her (67 bucks worth  :rotz:). She's running good, but I have some tuning to do...I got back from the run and jacked the car to change the oil and I must have grabbed some of the pan with the jack... :flame:. Ended up taking the pan off and pounding out the dent. Now I just need 2 sets of gaskets to put it back on. One of the problems I'm having is with starting. The only starter I could get to work was the stock direct drive one. The problem with that one is it doesn't have the snot it takes to turn over the car when the advance is set to where I need it. I have to back the timing way back to get it to start and then move the timeing to where it will run. I'm hoping that it is just because the motor is tight and my little 20 minute romp loosened it up enough but I don't know....I haven't tried starting it since I dropped the oil/pan. I have a lot of tweeking to do yet, but it seems like the motor doesn't rev as quicly (again...tight motor?) I need to run the damn thing and get it broken in....though the starter thing is bewildering....never had an issue with that starter and the stock bell housing.....
71 R/T 440 6pak, 4spd Mr Norms GSD

TNT

The stock 69 4 speed flywheel has 172 teeth and will not work with the mini starter.  You need to change flywheels if you want to run that mini starter or find one of the new high torque replacements for the old direct drive starter.
     TNT

Hemidoug

Quote from: TNT on June 30, 2008, 06:56:36 PM
The stock 69 4 speed flywheel has 172 teeth and will not work with the mini starter.  You need to change flywheels if you want to run that mini starter or find one of the new high torque replacements for the old direct drive starter.
     TNT

You are absolutely correct...I found that out today. I did find a high torque mini starter that will work with the 172 tooth flywheel....should have it by Thursday. Apparently, even though the mechanical compression ratio has essentially stayed the same (it was 9.96 and we decided to keep it the same) with the better valve job and new rings the cylinders are not leaking down as much. That is the reason the other starter is having issues cranking over this build. Looks like the tuning will have to wait until the other starter arrives. I never thought there would be such a difference in flywheels but I guess there is.....learn something new every day.....

firefighter3931

Doug, the engine is probably a little tight so give it some run time and things will loosen up. Glad to hear you found a mini starter that'll work  :2thumbs:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Just 6T9 CHGR

Hey Doug, for shits & giggles, will you be making it to Carlisle?
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Hemidoug

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on July 01, 2008, 09:47:36 AM
Hey Doug, for shits & giggles, will you be making it to Carlisle?

You bet! I'd be there even without the car, but plan on being there with..... :icon_smile_big: