News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

69' Charger Paint Prep Question:

Started by Captain D, June 08, 2008, 10:16:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain D

Hi guys,

New guy here w/ an odd question to ask so please bear w/ me:

I was just thinking, that whenever I treat trim pieces, I sand them down good, apply a rust sealer (such as Rust-Fix), then apply the Rustoleum primer and paint. As I'm sanding the body down, a friend of mine suggested that I simply apply Rustoleum primer once it's all smooth. At this point, I have both the front fenders and the hood complete (smooth + primer). But I was thinking...to prevent rust on the body, and to avoid rust issues later on down the road, would it be safe to do the following to the body:

1.) sand the body down,
2.) apply primer,
3.) apply Rustoleum paint (for the protective enamel),
4.) re-apply primer over the paint,
k5.) and lastly, the car gets professionally painted (over the 2nd coat of primer that exists over the paint).

I suppose I'm just so used to applying Rustoleum primer + paint to prevent rust since the primer doesn't protect against rust. I just thought that I would ask to see if you guys felt that having the security of the paint/protective enamel on the car would help rust issues later on down the road...Has anyone done those steps that I've stated above or am I worrying too much about the rust issues? Is this a good idea or a totally bad idea?

Than you for your time & for any replies,
Newbie Aaron

yeahitsgotahemi!

There are alot of paint and body threads on here, do a search and I think you will answer alot of you questions. As far as the whole process, I think most members here will recommend that you choose one paint company (PPG, Dupont ect.) and stick with ALL of their products through out the paint process from primer to the final base/clear. IMO, using rustoleum is a bad idea, and if you are really worried about rust, coating the body with an epoxy primer is a much better way to go. In fact, using an enamel and mixing with urethane or other type paints  will probably end up with compatibility problems and will be a very short lived paint job that will ultimately not protect against rust. The body guys on this thread know alot more than me I'm sure, but I highly recommend going with a quality brand paint and using ONLY their products.
"I don't advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, they just always worked for me"  - Hunter S. Thompson

Captain D

Thank you for the response,

You make a good point that mixing various enamels & brands may not be a good idea. I'll look into this epoxy primer as well. I'll do a search, and if anyone happens to come across this thread and wishes to chime in, I'd greatly appreciate the replies. Thanks again!
Aaron

mikepmcs

Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

Charger-Bodie

Captain D,

The way I've found that works the best for me is :
1. Adjust all sheet metal before disassembly to be sure it will all fit good.

2. Do all metal work (patching if needed)

3. strip the rest of the car to bare steel.

4. work out any dents or prior filler areas as good as possible.

5. spray the car with a good quality epoxy primer sealer (not surfacer)

6. Do any body work (filler work) over the epoxy primer ( follow manu reccomended ) instructions on dry time and prep prior to applying filler

7. then re spray any "break thrus" to bare steel from sanding filler etc. with more epoxy primer randomly on the bare areas....leave dry over night

8. spray panels with poly surfacer (if you have the proper spray gun to handle it) or a good quality 2k primer surfacer.

9. block sand and reprime until the panels are nice and straight like they are supposed to be.

10. final sand

11. seam sealer

12. seal, paint ,clear.

If you have any questions on this feel free to ask away! Id be glad to help!!  :2thumbs:
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Captain D

"Thank you" for the responses fellas!

The epoxy primer sounds like the best route to go. At this time, about 1/2 of the car has been sanded down as close as possible to the bare metal. However, my neighbor who works on cars suggested several weeks ago that I simply apply the rustoleum primer. Unfortunately, that was what I had done. So, half of the car has been sanded down to the metal w/ rustoleum primer on it.

At this time, I'm wanting to re-sand everything (back to the metal) and apply the epoxy primer instead so that the epoxy is on top of the bare metal. May I ask where I may find the epoxy primer, such as it being sold at NAPA, ect? How is it applied (ex, sprayed or brush applied)? Cost? Thank you again for responses for this newbie...
Aaron

- was this the stuff that you were talking about:
http://www.autobodytoolmart.com/showproduct.aspx?productid=14526

375instroke

Do you have an air compressor and spray gun?  Rustoleum's for lawn furniture, not cars.

Captain D

As of now, the Rustoleum has been re-sanded and replaced. Tedious...   ;)

BlueSS454

I suggest you not listen to your neighbor anymore.  Also, do not skip on the materials.  This is a case of you get what you pay for.  Cheap materials give crappy results.
Find a local auto body paint supply store and go from there.  Utech makes an Epoxy Primer, I have had good luck with it.  If you want to step up and go with DuPont of PPG, it's a tad more expensive but worth it.

Below is the best method to refinish a car  :2thumbs:

Quote from: 1hot68 on June 09, 2008, 08:58:31 PM
Captain D,

The way I've found that works the best for me is :
1. Adjust all sheet metal before disassembly to be sure it will all fit good.

2. Do all metal work (patching if needed)

3. strip the rest of the car to bare steel.

4. work out any dents or prior filler areas as good as possible.

5. spray the car with a good quality epoxy primer sealer (not surfacer)

6. Do any body work (filler work) over the epoxy primer ( follow manu reccomended ) instructions on dry time and prep prior to applying filler

7. then re spray any "break thrus" to bare steel from sanding filler etc. with more epoxy primer randomly on the bare areas....leave dry over night

8. spray panels with poly surfacer (if you have the proper spray gun to handle it) or a good quality 2k primer surfacer.

9. block sand and reprime until the panels are nice and straight like they are supposed to be.

10. final sand

11. seam sealer

12. seal, paint ,clear.

If you have any questions on this feel free to ask away! Id be glad to help!!  :2thumbs:
Tom Rightler

69*F5*SE