News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1965 413 motor help

Started by skeets 66, June 25, 2008, 08:58:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

skeets 66

I need some help again guys

I am a body man,,,but i'm as stupid as the come when it comes to motors

I am building a 66 charger,it has a 361 in it now,,(nonmatching #'s). A friend of mine found a 1965 running 413 motor and tranny. Is this a good motor to put in my charger,,or is this a so so motor,,something to stay away from,,,,good motor ????
Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again Guys
Jeff

jd114@verizon.net

John_Kunkel

The 413 is a good motor but, if it needs rebuilding, reasonably priced pistons might be hard to find. Everything else is the same as any other RB.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

craigandlynda

the 413 motor was used in 1960-65 chryslers, mostly; was good cubes but not really special performance, unless you found one of the rare ones w cross ram manifolds...heads did not have the really big valves...and  many of the trannies that came w that motor were pushbutton types...frankly, your better off w a newer 383, 400, or 440/    Just my opinion.

skeets 66

The guy says it comes with a 727 tranny,,,,not sure on this ???  Just kinda wondering if for now i should stick with my 361 till i sell my first born to afford a 383 or 440..............lol

firefighter3931

Jeff, the 65 trans might be worth some big money....the cable shift transmissions are valuable even as a core. The 413 can be made to make some descent power....it just takes planning and execution.  :2thumbs:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

max

Quote from: John_Kunkel on June 25, 2008, 05:08:25 PM

The 413 is a good motor but, if it needs rebuilding, reasonably priced pistons might be hard to find. Everything else is the same as any other RB.

:iagree: i'm building one myself and the pistons seem to be the biggest factor in both finding them and in price.

skeets 66

is the 413 block the same as a 383 and 440 ??

mally69

Quote from: skeets 66 on July 06, 2008, 08:54:01 PM
is the 413 block the same as a 383 and 440 ??

I believe its an RB block so its the same as a 440. Only it has different size bore.

ITSA426

You know that you can make that 361 run pretty well if you want to.  Most parts interchange with the 383 and in the early 60's there were a lot of kick butt performing 361 motors built.  Four barrel manifolds are plentiful.  Cam it up a little and throw HP exhaust manifolds or headers on it. 

Factory dual quad manifolds are relatively easy to find, but it's a fair amount of work to get all the other original pieces.  They add lots of WOW factor under the hood.  You could probably do all that cheaper than buy a decent runnung 413.  Plus there would probably be less down time on the car.

I'm a believer that "There's no replacement for displacement" but the 413 wouldn't be very high on my list of choices.

skeets 66

I got the 413 motor and a 727 tranny plus another complete 413 block with all new inners,,,,maybe i can look into selling the whole works and get something else

skeets 66

Any idea what a 413 might be worth and whats a 727 worth ??

firefighter3931

Jeff,if the trans is a 65 model 727 with the cable shift it is worth some bucks...probably $450-500 or so. The 413 itself isn't highly desirable but it has a steel crank and forged rods so there is some value there.

If you have a fresh 413 with new "innerds" why not run it ?

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

skeets 66

what number do i need to see what tranny it is ?? where are the found ??

like i said,,,,,,i know body work and paint,,,,,,but motors and tranny....i'm a first clas d$#@a*&