News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

tach on my 74

Started by Nacho-RT74, October 18, 2005, 10:29:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

which one would you install ?

hood tach
3 (50%)
Universal round tach mounted on steering column
3 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Nacho-RT74

I want to install a tach on my car... On a original USA 74 brochure appears that hood tachs were an option up there.

As mostly of you knows my car has a bulged hood... is completely untouched. A hood tach would need two or three small holes to fit and wire it on hood.

Hood tachs are not easy to find actually, but who knows...

would you do it if the car was your ?

or would install a small round tach with a bracket on steering column to left the hood untouched ?
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

rich4406bbl

Neither. I'd add the rally dash with factory tach.

RD

67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

Nacho-RT74

I already have the rallye cluster with posibility to mount the tach, actually is the clock... but being realistic I wont pay US$250 or even close to that just for an used tach. plus I like the clock. Repro tachs to 3rdgens rallye cluster are different font numbers and cost more less the same...

I'm short of money.

aftermarket tachs specially round small ones, are a lot cheapers here ( around US$50 ). also my car is auto, not manual, so tach is not really necessary.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

andy74

i put mine on the column-dont cut holes in the hood

RD

Quote from: Nacho-RT74 on October 18, 2005, 10:49:02 AM
I already have the rallye cluster with posibility to mount the tach, actually is the clock... but being realistic I wont pay US$250 or even close to that just for an used tach. plus I like the clock. Repro tachs to 3rdgens rallye cluster are different font numbers and cost more less the same...

I'm short of money.

aftermarket tachs specially round small ones, are a lot cheapers here ( around US$50 ). also my car is auto, not manual, so tach is not really necessary.

in that case, get the hood mounted tach, they look really cool.  what is a couple of holes, you can always repair them.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

Shakey

I would opt for the hood mounted tach.

I have always thought the steering column mounted tach's looked cheesy.

PocketThunder

Quote from: Shakey on October 18, 2005, 10:54:09 AM
I would opt for the hood mounted tach.

I have always thought the steering column mounted tach's looked cheesy.

Ya and everybody uses hose clamps to mount them!  YUK :puke:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

Nupe

Hey!   I have it mounted on the column, but at least no hose clamp.   Just a really big zip tie.   :icon_smile_big:

I'd throw a hood tach on mine if I could find one.   Does anybody reproduce them?   Originals must be tough on the wallet.   :icon_smile_blackeye:

'79 Lil'Red Express.

Charger_440

If you do take your time, this idea works nice. I had a 74 GTX RR that the tach went bad (this was back in the 80's) I took a suntune tach and removed the face plate and trim ring (snaped on)
I then removed the old tach and installed the new one in my rally dash. Not perfect, but worked and did not look bad.

TruckDriver

My '74 had the factory hood tach. It was ok, but for me, it took away from the nice buldge hood lines. It was cool in the sence that there are not many around and you would get people that argue there not factory. I personally would wait til you have the money for a nice in dash tach. That, and, if you cut holes in your hood, then decied you don't care for the hood tach, then you got holes in your hood you dont want. My :Twocents:
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

Nupe

That hood tach looks cool in that pic DGGuy!   :icon_smile_cool: Good looking stance on the car also....

The 71 Bee I sold had a factory tach that I was going to steal, but really didn't want to pull apart my dash again.

'79 Lil'Red Express.