News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

the smart thing to do.....or the 440?

Started by 2much2learn, June 24, 2008, 06:46:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2much2learn

got a 73 charger that ive been working (FOREVER) on with a 318 (insert joke here). IM SOOOOOO close to getting it running after 17 YEARS of it not running (only had the car a couple of months, bought from original owner) hey at least # match. anyway a friend of mine is selling me (due to some financial reasons) a 440 for $100. now the engine isnt in perfect shape but its all there, and he said when he pulled it, it ran.now the question at hand is, should i stick with trusty ol 318 witch i KNOW will run great and ive put much $$$$ in OR get the mean ass 440 which ill probably re-build (remember, im not rich) and the swap out for the 318? i really want the opinion of those who own 440's, and dont give me that "..well gas prices" bulls#!T.
thank you.
I say " determined to restore the Charger" SHE hears " Stubborn to throw your money away"   dx_Xb

rav440

1st things first what year is the 440 what #s are the heads $100.00 is a deal but a better deal is a better deal .
id keep the 318 in the CHARGER and build the 440 over time . trust me thers nothing worse than watching your car sit trying to gather up cash to build a motor  :icon_smile_big: well there are alot worse things but it does suck  :icon_smile_big:

good luck  :2thumbs:
1973 PLYMOUTH road runner GTX

Dave22443

Get the 318 running and enjoy your car.  Then, as money allows, build the 440 up.  But remember, its not just the 440 you'll need to take care of.  Before you can drop it in your car your going to need a new transmission, a radiator, a new driveshaft and possibly a new rear end, just to name a few things.

:Twocents:

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
- Abraham Lincoln

Brock Samson

i agree with those guys, stay the course get the car togeather then deal with the 440 on the side,.. later...

challenger70

Quote from: Brock Samson on June 24, 2008, 08:12:08 PM
i agree with those guys, stay the course get the car togeather then deal with the 440 on the side,.. later...

I concur, but the 440 would be waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more fun.  It comes down to do you want a less fun/more reliable car to drive now or sacrafice more time/reliability/money for more fun.  But on the other hand a functioning 318 is more fun than a busted hotrod  :Twocents:
'68 383 A833 QQ1 Charger
'70  440 727 FY1 Challenger

PocketThunder

save the 440 for a rainy day and drive the car now with the 5.2L.

This is almost as easy as answering the question of "do i go to Hawaii for the summer or work on my Charger".  :brickwall:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

Mike DC

Yes, take the 440 for $100 and store it. 

Cruise the 318.  Don't put money into making it faster, just keep it in good tune and use it to enjoy the car. 

Fitz73Chrgr

Agreed, especially when you take into account the price of gas.  The 318 will make it a good cruiser.
'73 Charger - project                '70 Charger - driver                 '66 Charger - survivor

Resto thread:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,89803.msg1019541.html#msg1019541

CB

Quote from: Dave22443 on June 24, 2008, 08:08:56 PM
Get the 318 running and enjoy your car.  Then, as money allows, build the 440 up.  But remember, its not just the 440 you'll need to take care of.  Before you can drop it in your car your going to need a new transmission, a radiator, a new driveshaft and possibly a new rear end, just to name a few things.

:Twocents:

That's what Ron (firefighter3931) and others told me when I wanted to change the old and worn 318 in my Cuda. Rebuild the original 340 or get a monster 440 was my question. I decided to sell the cuda and buy me a Charger again :yesnod:
So, yep, cruise the 318 and save up some cash for the big swap.
CB
1968 Dodge Coronet 500

challenger70

Quote from: PocketThunder on June 24, 2008, 11:10:32 PM

This is almost as easy as answering the question of "do i go to Hawaii for the summer or work on my Charger".  :brickwall:

Well which is it? :shruggy:  Hawaii or work on the Charger? :icon_smile_big:
'68 383 A833 QQ1 Charger
'70  440 727 FY1 Challenger

moparstuart

I would work on the charger ! money better spent 
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

PocketThunder

Quote from: moparstuart on June 25, 2008, 12:11:11 PM
I would work on the charger ! money better spent 

NO way hose A.  I'll take this instead.
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."