News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Are headlight vacuum pods supposed to HOLD vaccum? Both ways?

Started by Corellian Corvette, March 03, 2009, 02:16:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corellian Corvette

Did a search and did not find an answer to this specific question.

Assembled my 68 grille over the weekend, and was testing the headlight vacuum pods (no lines connected, just a hand-held gauge to each of the fittings)

Couple things I noticed; not sure if this is correct or not or if I'm messing up the test.

1. Both pods hold vacuum on the lower portion - so the H/L doors open up perfectly and with authority!
2. Neither pod holds vacuum on the upper portion - so the pods CLOSE weakly, and in one case, actually flutters a bit.

Now – are the pods supposed to hold vacuum on the upper portion? Do I have to cap the lower nipple before they will? Since I'm leaving the opposing nipple open, in the real car I suspect all the lines would secure and hold vacuum so maybe they are testing bad because I'm not doing it right.

Wanted to check before I searched out a new set of actuators.

Thanks!

1969chargerrtse

I would "think" yes they have to hold vacuum in both directions.  One pulls one way, the other pulls the other way. :shruggy:  I'm sure others that "know" will respond soon.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

70Sbird

If the pods are leaking from the front (rod end) the internal shaft seal is leaking and they will need to be rebuilt. the  diaphragm inside seals at the back side, but the shaft has to slide in and out of a seal on the rod end as the internal diaphram moves back and forth. this has always been a weak point of these actuators.

Scott Faulkner

Corellian Corvette

Does anyone rebuild these? Or do I just have to search out new ones?

resq302

Mike Ross of BE&A body repros these.  Kinda pricey but they are totally new and have no dried out, questionable parts.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

70Sbird

Alan Wilson rebuilds these and does a great job........

Do a search for air grabber rebuild or restoration

He did mine and I am very pleased with his work!
;D

Scott Faulkner

Corellian Corvette

I am a BIG fan of BEA and PG Classic parts, but I've heard mixed things on the vacuum actuators. Does anyone know if they have fixed some of the early problems?

70Sbird

I am a big fan of Mike and BEA as well, I just ordered a bunch of lenses and misc. parts for my 'Bird yesterday from him.
The headlight actuators he has are repops of the 1968 unit. He had some issues with them, but I asssume he worked all of that out. I ordered a set from him last year and they did not hold vacuum from the rod end. I'm not sure what changes were made between 1968 and 1969 actuators but they are different, for one thing the 1969 units do not have as large of a magnet inside of them. For your '68 he ones from Mike should be fine, but for my car where I needed them to hold in the "up" position with the rod extended, they did not work for me. I had Allen Wilson rebuild one of my old ones, and used a good original one for the other side. There was at least one lengthy thread on the Aero car forum about this topic.
Scott

Scott Faulkner

70Sbird

This one has pictures ot the actuators!
I just wish I was smart enough to put all of these in one reply though!

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,46281.0.html

Scott Faulkner