News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

318 timing question and upgrades

Started by Savage6, June 23, 2008, 08:56:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Savage6

Hey guys,  i have a 1974 charger with a  318.  It has a purple shaft cam and a Holley 4 barrell carb..It also has hooker headers and flowmasters.  I have the initial timing set at 10* right now but it seems to idle much better somewhere near 5*  I'm pretty sure the heads and everything else are stock.  The car is new to me so I am still working on finding out exactly what I have and what I need.  I'm open to any suggestions for new heads or anything else that you guys think would help out with performance. Oh one last thing.. should I keep the vac advance plugged or connected??  Thanks again guys

Plumcrazy

Do you know which purpleshaft cam you have?    It would tell you if you have the right camshaft for your application. :scratchchin:

If the Holley is somewhere in the 600 cfm range and it's on a low profile intake like the Edelbrock Performer then you've got a good combo there.

If you want to move up to a fairly cheap head upgrade, look for a set of swirl chambered heads from a late 80's 318.   I believe the last three digits of the casting number are 308.

If it's a street car, leave the vacuum advance hooked up.  Centrifugal advance adjusts the timing based on engine rpm.  Vacuum advance adjusts the timing based on engine load.  You want both on a street car

It's not a midlife crisis, it's my second adolescence.

Savage6

The swirl chambered heads sounds like a good plan to me.. if I can find a pair someplace..  I think the carb is a 650 and the intake is the performer..  I reset the initial timing to abou 8* and reconnected the vac advance.  It is running pretty smooth and actually has some good power..  If I can get my hands on the swirl heads I think I might have something... Thanks for the advice p_crazy

Foreman72

cheers for guys w/318's in their chargers :cheers:  i'm hoping to get around 400 HP out of mine :D...unfortunately it won't make that much @ the wheels due to its hugeness...its gotta be hard work for an engine that small to move 3000+ lbs as quick as i want it to haha...but anyways...this is what i'm going to model mine after..

http://www.popularhotrodding.com/enginemasters/articles/mopar/0667em_mopar_318_engine/index.html

i really liked what i saw..so thats going to be my goal.

Quote from: Plumcrazy on June 23, 2008, 08:03:09 PM

If you want to move up to a fairly cheap head upgrade, look for a set of swirl chambered heads from a late 80's 318.   I believe the last three digits of the casting number are 308.

i think it's 302 castings...thats what i've heard everywhere else... :shruggy:

but yeah mopar mills are pretty soild stuff...doens't take much to bust em open...now you just have to look @ the rest of the driveline huh... ;D
Eric "Foreman"

Previous: 1972 Dodge Charger
Current: 2002 Volvo S60

"The steps of a man are ordered by the LORD, and He delights in his way. Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down; For the LORD upholds him with His hand.
=Psalm 37:23-24=
"But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven..."
=Matthew 6:19-21=
:pat