News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What tyoe of dana 60 do i have

Started by ericklovescharger, June 20, 2008, 11:40:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ericklovescharger

what styles did they come in.i mean like a posi,limited slip,one wheel wonder.what?thanks for help in advance.thanks

erick

BB1

They where all (Sure Grip) as far as I know; Mopar cars.
Delete my profile

ericklovescharger

my car isn't running yet but when i had the thing in park and was dragging it up on the trailer one wheel locked up and one just rolled freely.is that how a suregrip locks up in park.

a sure grip is a limited slip right?to where if i take off in a straight line and leave rubber then it is a posi burnout but if i turn left or right the inner or outer wheel spins and leaves only one burnout mark?sorry i am so new at this  :rotz:

Ghoste

Positraction is just Chevrolets term for a limited slip differential just like Sure Grip is the Chrysler term for it.  To oversimplify, a limited slip just sends the power to the wheel with the most traction.  That is why on a dry road you can leave a nice pair of Charger tracks but with an open diff, you only get one.  Under poor traction conditions, an open diff will send the torque to the side with the least traction.  Obviously there is a lot more to it than that basic definition but it will somewhat answer your question.
As far as I know, all the Dana 60's sold in Chrysler musclecar applications were all Sure Grip units, however, it's initial use was a pickup truck axle and I think you could get it as a limited slip or as an open diff in that application.

ericklovescharger

ok.i jack up my car to where both rear wheels weren't touching the ground.i spun the one side and the other side spun the opposite direction like in reverse :shruggy:

what rear end is that?

Tilar

If your transmission was in neutral, That's just a standard rear differential. If it were a SureGrip, they would both turn in the same direction.
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

ericklovescharger

hey tilar

my tranny is in neutral!let me go try it.the drive shaft wasn't turning as fast as i was spining it.so what do i put it in?drive?

John_Kunkel

Back to the original post...what makes you think your car has a Dana 60?
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

ericklovescharger

my buddy says if the bolts are facing out the rear meanong i can stand at the back of the car and looking under and a little past the gas tank and can see bolts that it is a dana 60.two people have told me this so i am beginning to believe it.

JimShine

The bolts face out on other sizes as well

ericklovescharger

what do you think could be in a 318 2bbl 1972 satellite auto on the foor with buckets?

Charger1973

Quote from: ericklovescharger on June 21, 2008, 04:26:18 PM
what do you think could be in a 318 2bbl 1972 satellite auto on the foor with buckets?

Not a Dana 60.  ;)

Probably the 8 1/4...

JimShine

My guess is the 8 1/4. Being a 318 car and a one legger, I highly doubt it is a Dana.

ericklovescharger

so it's probably a one wheel wonder?

ericklovescharger

here are pics of rear axle.this is my first car.im 16.can't wait to get it done.the undergarriage is greasy so please excuse me for that.i am gonna make a roadrunner clone out of it.already got the hood and rallye dash.

so what is it.i threw it in drive and it was still doing the spin the one side it goes opposite way on the other side.

BB1

Very weak 8 1/4 one wheel wonder.
Delete my profile

ericklovescharger

do you mean it can't even burnout?what wheel spins?

Ghoste

Most likely it would be the right wheel but doing a burnout isn't really a function of the rearend.  The rearend ratio will make a difference in how easy it is and having a limited slip will make it more spectacular but it's engine torque that is going to spin those tires.  Your 318 likely isn't making a lot of that yet.
I don't want to be the wet blanket because we were all 16 once and I still enjoy a good smoke show, but, your first priority should be making that car reliable and looking good so you can get the maximum driving enjoyment from it.  Then start building up the power and putting it to the pavement.

69bronzeT5

Yep, you have a 8 1/4. Looks exactly like the rearend in my '69. The 8 1/4 isnt staying for long though :icon_smile_wink:
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

ericklovescharger

Quote from: Ghoste on June 21, 2008, 07:44:16 PM
Most likely it would be the right wheel but doing a burnout isn't really a function of the rearend.  The rearend ratio will make a difference in how easy it is and having a limited slip will make it more spectacular but it's engine torque that is going to spin those tires.  Your 318 likely isn't making a lot of that yet.
I don't want to be the wet blanket because we were all 16 once and I still enjoy a good smoke show, but, your first priority should be making that car reliable and looking good so you can get the maximum driving enjoyment from it.  Then start building up the power and putting it to the pavement.

so is my rearend a limited slip?i know.my dad is a paint and bodyman so we are covering that.

my buddy who has a 67 plymouth belevedere dad rebuilds mopar engines so we are gonna do that.

how much horse does it add if i add a 4 barrel intake and carb both holley parts?cause i added them a few hours ago.

konigcharger

so is my rearend a limited slip? No

72 satellites are cool cars  :coolgleamA:

If you have no vision or creative spirit, you can always fall back on the way the factory did it.

bordin34

Good looking project. You should definitely get some jack stands for that car. Supporting a car by only a jack is unsafe and it could fall and crush you. They aren't that expensive and I would rather spend some money on good stands than become a pancake.
I am 16 also and am working on my 2nd 3rd gen charger.

1973 SE Brougham Black 4̶0̶0̶  440 Auto.
1967 Coronet Black 440 Auto
1974 SE Brougham Blue 318 Auto- Sold to a guy in Croatia
1974 Valiant Green 318 Auto - Sold to a guy in Louisiana
Mahwah,NJ

Ghoste

Quote from: ericklovescharger on June 21, 2008, 09:49:55 PM
so is my rearend a limited slip?i know.my dad is a paint and bodyman so we are covering that.

how much horse does it add if i add a 4 barrel intake and carb both holley parts?cause i added them a few hours ago.

Jack both wheels off the ground and turn one of them by hand, if the opposite wheel turns in the same direction, it's a Sure Grip, if it turns opposite, it's an open.
As for question two, it isn't that easy.  You may have added some or you may have taken some away.  It's all part of a chain and each part needs to work with the others but don't worry, you'll have it down in no time.

JimShine

Quote from: ericklovescharger on June 21, 2008, 09:49:55 PM

It helps out a ton, and you will notice a huge difference if you were running a worn out stock carb. But just changing the intake and carb wont add a ton of horse power. You need to do a few more things to get any real power of a 318. But you will absilutely need a bigger rear end before you go any farther with the engine.

John_Kunkel

Quote from: BB1 on June 21, 2008, 06:31:25 PM
Very weak 8 1/4 one wheel wonder.

Don't sell the 8 1/4" short, it might be less desireable than others but it's far from "weak".
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.