News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What do you think will be faster? Big IN or Supercharger

Started by kamkuda, August 25, 2008, 12:31:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kamkuda

Hypothetically speaking.

Say you had a 572 engine in a Bbody with Super Stock Springs

versus

A D1X Prochargered ( similar to a F1) on a 440 with 10-12 lbs of boost , Bbody Ladder bar car.

Who would be quicker in the quarter? :scratchchin:

RD

this question leaves alot unanswered to make a legitimate and accurate guess to be honest... but considering the car itself (no motor) weighs the same, has the same trans, and same rearend (i.e. gears and such)... in otherwords the only difference is the engine and rear suspension set up...

we still need to know what components are in both engines, because obviously you are expecting one to be more powerful than the other... without knowing the builds of each engine and the hp/torque ratings they are producing.. there is simply no way to assume which one will be faster without just talking out our butts.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

kamkuda

572  Indy Dash 1 heads, big roller cam. Dominator carb  Pump gas combo

500 inch eddy heads, tiny roller cam, Fuel injection D1X prochgarger

Silver R/T

procharged car will be quicker in top end definitely but N/A 572 will be faster off the line
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

BPTRacing

2850# Cuda - Mopar 500"/505HP crate motor w/ .509 hyd cam, D-1 procharger on alcohol - 9.40's at 141 13-PSI boost.
Selling all my current toys to build a Twin Turbo Superbird clone "street" car.

Mike DC

When it comes to hi-tech motors, spinning 8 liters @ 4000 rpm is the same amount of gasoline being burned as spinning 4 liters @ 8000 rpm.  Just different ways of going about it.  There isn't really a big power GAIN in this sense until the forced induction comes into the picture. 

Cubic inches isn't necessarily a better total capability than a blown motor, but it's more fun & practical a lot of the time.  Certainly on a street motor.  Aside from the gasoline bill it's better than a blower motor in most ways.  Cheap, reliable, consistent, fun, etc.  It's less fun to drive when the turbo has to spool up all the time as you rip around town IMHO.  The torque motor with big inches always has the power RIGHT NOW whenever you hit the gas.  It's there regardless of any circumstances of rpm, speed, gear, etc. 

But with a ton of cubic inches, eventually you just get so much low-end torque that you can't hook it up.  The blowers & turbos are often much better when you get to REALLY high power levels simply because these setups can be hooked more easily.  These cars tend to refrain from dumping the power at the tires until the car is already moving at a decent clip.  Then the car gains more speed at the upper half of the track like a freight train.