News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Team Angry Bullrun report

Started by firefighter3931, June 20, 2008, 07:06:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

471_Magnum

Quote from: Kodiak on July 03, 2008, 08:40:50 AM
The fasteners in the picture are 5/16 grade eight. Very strong. Unfortunately when you have a tire go down with a multipiece wheel the rim shelll usually contacts the ground through the deflated tire and creates enormous stresses on the fasteners. Typically they will shear, as in the picture. If the tire was running low for any period of time the loads on the bolts would have been very high and they would have fatigued quickly.

Bet that wouldn't have happened if he was running 15" Torq Thrusts.  :poke: :stirthepot:
"I can fix it... my old man is a television repairman... he's got the ultimate set of tools... I can fix it."

moparstuart

So was it the tire failed making the bolts break and rim fail. Or was it the bolts failed and made the tire seal loose integrity ?

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

PocketThunder

Quote from: NYCMille on July 01, 2008, 07:44:02 AM
Hey guys -

I am writing up a full report and should have it ready by tonight or tomorrow am. Right now though I just overloaded with stuff... I promise though that everyone will have a full description of everything soon.

Sorry for the  delay.

Cheers - Mike

:popcrn:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

Kodiak

I don't think it is really an issue of what failed but rather it was a series of events that causes issues like this. If the silicon seal is compromised in any way, small nick during mounting etc, it will create a leaking wheel. Constant air pressure against the weak spot will eventually make its way through. The wheels cool when you stop then get fairly hot when under sustained "high speed" running. This constant expansion and contraction will work the weak spot. As soon as the tire starts to go down the bolt loads go way up. Throw in bumps at 100mph and your going to have an issue. As soon as one bolt goes the loads transfer to the next bolt, now it carries twice as much and the twisting loads on the rim shells begin to come into play. As they leverage against the bolt heads they heavily load them and the bolt fatigues quickly and it then becomes a chain reaction. One bolt after the next will go. Usually there is no air left after the first one goes so the chain reaction happens very quickly. The driver stops the car and sees what unfortunately happened to Mike. Its very unlikely that the bolt failed first and ripped the seal. With 30 5/16 bolts holding the wheel together unless you hit a large pot hole or ranover something hard to create a shock load the bolts just don't break. I've seen this happen before with a racer who went off track and cut a tire down. He thought he broke the wheel bearing and drove back to the pits on a flat tire. When he arrived back in the pits 9 of the fasteners had broken. He simply replaced all the fasteners and resealed the wheel and the carried on using the wheel. Alot is happening at high speeds and its always hard to try to diagnose what happens first.
Daryle

RallyeMike

QuoteThe fasteners in the picture are 5/16 grade eight. Very strong. Unfortunately when you have a tire go down with a multipiece wheel the rim shelll usually contacts the ground through the deflated tire and creates enormous stresses on the fasteners. Typically they will shear, as in the picture. If the tire was running low for any period of time the loads on the bolts would have been very high and they would have fatigued quickly. Take care
Daryle

Technically the bolts have failed in tension, not shear, but your failure explanation is plausible.

I love my heavy, safe STEEL rims.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

ChgrSteve67

Doesn't sound like a very good rim for a 200mph.

I think it would look awesome with steel NASCAR rims.

4speed

Quote from: RallyeMike on July 03, 2008, 09:47:32 PM
QuoteThe fasteners in the picture are 5/16 grade eight. Very strong. Unfortunately when you have a tire go down with a multipiece wheel the rim shelll usually contacts the ground through the deflated tire and creates enormous stresses on the fasteners. Typically they will shear, as in the picture. If the tire was running low for any period of time the loads on the bolts would have been very high and they would have fatigued quickly. Take care
Daryle

Technically the bolts have failed in tension, not shear, but your failure explanation is plausible.

I love my heavy, safe STEEL rims.

:iagree: :iagree:

Kodiak

Steel rims look pretty bad after a tire goes down too.

Daryle

RallyeMike

It would look better than this one ! 

We dont really know what caused the tire to go down. It could have been a puncture, delamination, or bad valve stem......  you will have these potential issues with any wheel. A steel wheel has no bolts to break or inner seals to go bad, hence the preferred and safer wheel for my application being welded steel.

Since I believe Mike was going to maybe market these, I think I'll just wait for Mike to tell the story. For my use, it wont change my mind either way (although with the appropriate Dodgecharger.com discount, a set might find the way to one of my street cars    ;)   )

1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

NYCMille

Nothing negative will be said about the wheels until we find out all the details and the problem is rectified.

RoadraceDartGT

Having been in the car, I can confidently say the sequence of events was bolts breaking FIRST, on a properly inflated tire THEN once enough bolts were broken, the tire went down.

BigBlockSam

when i raced my boss hoss . on the 1/4 mile . i checked the bolts that where keeping my back wheel together . i figured 450 hp and 200 shot of nos and only  two tires  .  i should check . they where  loose .  18" wheel half the bolts where loose. it would be hard to check that when i'm going trough the traps. Rene
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

SchaefMan

So, a car project with a deadline was finished just in time to be put on the road. Instead of a break in time, it was tested out in battle, and unfortunately, the stuff that you usually find and fix during the shake-out happened during the Rally, and the car was sidelined. I am sure it will rise again, the wheels and other issues will be resolved, and there will be a happy "Angry" family again.

The big story, after reading the blog at MrAngryInc.com, is the teamwork and people. I mean, some biker saves the day with the right plug wire. Tim McGowan, from this forum, drove 500 some miles to donate his own gas tank... That is one class act, if you ask me. Then, when "Angrier" had his final tantrum, Tim secured the Daytona, and the team continued in a Ford Fusion.... Of course, they finished in a Mercedes SUV, which was a loner from some other friends, and Team Angrier finished 3, 4, 5 & 6, after losing 2 of its vehicles. Now this is a story.

Just my opinion...

Bob
No matter where you go, there you are.... B. Banzai

NYCMille

You have no idea how much Tim helped us out. People don't come any better than him, he's good people and good friend. I just hope I can eventually repay all the favors he did for us and also get him to NYC... it's a just bit different than Montana...

Thanks for mentioning the blog as well Bob - for those who want to rundown of what happened you can check it out here on my site:

http://www.mrangryinc.com/blog/

Otherwise the Daytona should be back in NYC by Saturday and then we'll work the rest of bugs out of it as we'll be doing the "Fireball Run" http://www.fireballrun.com/new/index.asp with it in Sept. This is a actually a really cool rally and one that centers around finding lost children so I am VERY excited about this.

Cheers - Mike

471_Magnum

I read the blog last night. Sorry to hear about all the troubles, but I am glad to hear none of the problems seem to center around any of my previous engineering. Was the coil the one on the motor when you got it? I noticed the ignition had been swapped from the Mallory to a MSD.

I finally put my Car Domain page online last night with a link to Angrier.
"I can fix it... my old man is a television repairman... he's got the ultimate set of tools... I can fix it."

moparstuart

Quote from: NYCMille on July 08, 2008, 10:15:23 AM
You have no idea how much Tim helped us out. People don't come any better than him, he's good people and good friend. I just hope I can eventually repay all the favors he did for us and also get him to NYC... it's a just bit different than Montana...

Thanks for mentioning the blog as well Bob - for those who want to rundown of what happened you can check it out here on my site:

http://www.mrangryinc.com/blog/

Otherwise the Daytona should be back in NYC by Saturday and then we'll work the rest of bugs out of it as we'll be doing the "Fireball Run" http://www.fireballrun.com/new/index.asp with it in Sept. This is a actually a really cool rally and one that centers around finding lost children so I am VERY excited about this.

Cheers - Mike

great blog mike.  People in this hobbie never seem to amaze me , there are so many great people out their willing to help !   
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

68chrgrwife

Awesome blog....Mike you rock, after one mishap I would have packed it in...although I don't think I would have the guts in the first place to build a car and the day after it was done go on a cross country "run".  You have major big ones dude.  Good luck on the next "run".......
MOPAR OR NO CAR BABY!
LOVING MY HUBBY: CHARGERMAN68
1973 DODGE CHALLENGER: SOLD :(
1968 DODGE CHARGER RT CLONE (OK, SO IT'S HUBBY'S BUT IT'S MINE TOO, RIGHT?)
2008 DODGE CHARGER
2005 DODGE MAGNUM R/T (YES IT'S GOTTA HEMI)!

Finn

:eek2:

Just checked out those links, must have invite, be 25 or over, and come up with 17,000 or more depending on the rally?
I know its for a good cause but wow!
Ill just have to setup my own bullrun...IE get a bunch of friends, print out some stickers, pick a destination, and go.  ;D
1968 Dodge Charger 440, EFI, AirRide suspension
1970 Dodge Challenger RT/SE 383 magnum
1963 Plymouth Savoy 225 with a 3 on the tree.
2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L

Dave22443

Quote from: Finn on July 08, 2008, 05:52:29 PM

Ill just have to setup my own bullrun...IE get a bunch of friends, print out some stickers, pick a destination, and go.  ;D

Count me in  :2thumbs:  Where we going?  :icon_smile_big:

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
- Abraham Lincoln

tan top

good wright up Mike   :yesnod:  ................ :  ....  ...  looking forward to seeing it run in Anger in September   :popcrn:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html