News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

fuel problem ... I think

Started by flyinlow, July 30, 2008, 08:11:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flyinlow

Got my 73 to the track.    446/eddy heads/performer rpm /800 eps carb with insulator/headers 3.54 gear auto...mild street build

first run .,, 85 deg. long staging line run.... great burnout  . tires spun alot , engine quit at 50 feet ,restarted. not full power ... 18.90/94mph

second run ,pushed car thru staging lanes with hood up started engine at last moment ,spun t/a's 100feet off line....14.40/103.5mph

third run engine cooler ,temp . 80 deg.,no burnout, feather throttle 100 feet.   13.42/106mph

The traction problems I can fix. The power loss part way thru the run sucks.

I have 3/8 fuel line/pick up. carter street mech. fuel pump 120n gph /. new push rod. fuel  lines insulated from pump to carb. routed over fender/stiffener rod to carb.
Car has cold air intake (ala olds 442 )

Fuel pressure 7-8 psi while driving. After hot start fuel pressure 3-4 psi .

Ideas ? electric fuel pump?

Steve P.

First, are you using a fluid filled pressure gauge under the hood?? If yes, go buy a cheap NON FLUID gauge and install it. Readjust your regulator and go do a smoker and let it rip as if you were at the track..

Next, make sure your fluid levels are right in the bowls.. I like just above center for racing.

Also, make sure you have no kinks anywhere in the line.

Q). Do you have a new or old sending unit in the tank??

Q). Did you have at least 1/4 tank of gas??  Do you KNOW this or are you trusting your 40+ year old gauge??

Let us know...

Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

craigandlynda

what are you using for a fuel filter
?

flyinlow

new 3/8 sender/sock ,clean tank, holley pressure gauge, jegs billet 3/8 fuel filter (does not appear to be pluged ,you can blow thru it),1/2 tank of gas

firefighter3931

Assuming the guage is accurate then it's a classic case of vapor lock. Insulating the lines from heat and running a vapor seperator style filter with a return line usually works to solve those types of problems.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

flyinlow

Ron ,    what year, engine, does a return filter fit ? Does it run a smaller line from the filter back to the tank ? does it affect fuel pressure to carb?
Thanks,   Craig

firefighter3931

Quote from: flyinlow on July 31, 2008, 06:25:40 PM
Ron ,    what year, engine, does a return filter fit ? Does it run a smaller line from the filter back to the tank ? does it affect fuel pressure to carb?
Thanks,   Craig

Craig, the 68-70 440 & hemi engines used a 3/8 fuel supply line with a 1/4in return line. The filter/vapor seperator attached just off the discharge side of the pump. At the bottom of this thread are some good pics of this setup.  :scope:

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,13742.0.html

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs